MI - 8 year old being charged with felonies

giagreen

Reaction score
So basically this 8 year old boy has a history with anger issues. He had an outburst at school. Took off the teachers caught up to him I guess and they put him in back of a cop car where he broke a security camera.

The police said that they wanted $50 to replace a security camera well the prosecutors decided to charge him with two felonies.

I personally just find this outrageous and so I had to post it. And shame on the prosecutor IMO.

This is an 8 year old boy with problems. Felonies are something that should not be thrown around lightly. Felonies destroy peoples lives and prevent people from getting jobs. This boy isn't even old enough to vote.

Felonies need to be reserved for bad adults and maybe some teens who murder. Not children. I don't think this kid will even understands what this .means for him.

I'm sure it will get thrown out but still shame on this prosecutor.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5192159?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000021

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk

So basically this 8 year old boy has a history with anger issues. He had an outburst at school. Took off the teachers caught up to him I guess and they put him in back of a cop car where he broke a security camera.

The police said that they wanted $50 to replace a security camera well the prosecutors decided to charge him with two felonies.

I personally just find this outrageous and so I had to post it. And shame on the prosecutor IMO.

This is an 8 year old boy with problems. Felonies are something that should not be thrown around lightly. Felonies destroy peoples lives and prevent people from getting jobs. This boy isn't even old enough to vote.

Felonies need to be reserved for bad adults and maybe some teens who murder. Not children. I don't think this kid will even understands what this .means for him.

Juvenile records are sealed. No one will know these charges were brought. An eight year-old is old enough to know he is in big trouble for his actions. The prosecutor may have had the blessing from the family. This child is way out-of-control and does not respect authority which starts with his parents. No saying the parents are at fault, only that they can't control him for whatever reasons he has controlling his anger. Maybe going through the court system they can get him some psychiatric help. jmo

If charging him with a felony ( maybe something lesser) either gets it in his head that is not how you act, puts a spot light on this boys family life if its not a good environment for kids or forces his family to actually do something about his behavior issues, then that is what needs to happen. We need to start as early as they start acting out.

Paying $50.00 will not bring about change. Maybe the charges will. Its tough and it sucks. But if he is this out of control at an early age, imagine him as a teenager or adult.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Juvenile records are sealed. No one will know these charges were brought. An eight year-old is old enough to know he is in big trouble for his actions. The prosecutor may have had the blessing from the family. This child is way out-of-control and does not respect authority which starts with his parents. No saying the parents are at fault, only that they can't control him for whatever reasons he has controlling his anger. Maybe going through the court system they can get him some psychiatric help. jmo

Your right juvenile records are sealed.
I for some reason was thinking if its felonies then they don't get taken off the juvenile recorded.

That was my bad. But I still just don't think charging him with felonies is the way to go.
It doesn't have to be felonies for the court to order this child to get help. And IMO charging him with felonies is kind of useless. I don't think he would understand what that means.

These will probably not be well received, but, imho, if two felonies can stop this kid now, then so be it.

Being 8 years old does not prevent them from being very dangerous.

At 8 years old an AZ boy had already accomplished two premeditated murders.

Since being institutionalized in a treatment center the AZ kid has continued to be extremely violent. He has attacked his therapist, spit in guards faces, threatened to murder other boys housed with him, and tried to attack guards. Imo, he was sent there because they know he was a fledgling psychopath and incurable.

And Joseph E. Duncan by the age of 8 years old was already raping and abusing young boys younger than himself. There was never any evidence brought forth that JED had suffered from any kind of abuse as a child either nor was there ever any proof of it pertaining to the 8 year old murderer of two either. In fact it was brought out that the AZ boy was much doted on by his murdered parent.

If they charge this kid with felonies they can keep up with him in the system and even demand he receives treatment. Although if he has a conduct disorder these type of kids do not do well when treated and will always remain what they are.

So I am sorry but I have little to no sympathy for this kid just because he happens to be an eight year old. I have seen through reading here for years what kids his age are capable of doing if just left alone to cause havoc over and over again.

IMO

8 year old boys with anger issues unaddressed and consequences not harsh for those violent behaviors grow up to be grown adult men with violent tendencies and severe anger issues. And once that happens the consequences they face become much more severe, both for them and their victims.

As the aunt of a severely behaviorally and anger issued nephew who is now turning 12, his mother is frantically trying to figure out how to impress upon him that continued assaults on people WILL land him in jail. She would rather he learn it NOW, while he is still a minor and the record for such events will be sealed rather than LATER when there will be no avoiding serious jail time.

I understand the wish to say a little boy should not face serious charges for behavioral issues. But having watched this nephew accelerate his attacks on other children and adults since the age of 7 or 8, and watched my family try to deal with getting him thehelp he needs while protecting those around him from his violence, I do understand the need in some cases to mete out such harsh charges NOW rather than in future as an adult.

These will probably not be well received, but, imho, if two felonies can stop this kid now, then so be it.

Being 8 years old does not prevent them from being very dangerous.

At 8 years old an AZ boy had already accomplished two premeditated murders.

Since being institutionalized in a treatment center the AZ kid has continued to be extremely violent. He has attacked his therapist, spit in guards faces, threatened to murder other boys housed with him, and tried to attack guards. Imo, he was sent there because they know he was a fledgling psychopath and incurable.

And Joseph E. Duncan by the age of 8 years old was already raping and abusing young boys younger than himself. There was never any evidence brought forth that JED had suffered from any kind of abuse as a child either nor was there ever any proof of it pertaining to the 8 year old murderer of two either. In fact it was brought out that the AZ boy was much doted on by his murdered parent.

If they charge this kid with felonies they can keep up with him in the system and even demand he receives treatment. Although if he has a conduct disorder these type of kids do not do well when treated and will always remain what they are.

So I am sorry but I have little to no sympathy for this kid just because he happens to be an eight year old. I have seen through reading here for years what kids his age are capable of doing if just left alone to cause havoc over and over again.

IMO

And it is very possible that these parents do not have the money to seek more aggressive treatment. We can see he has a therapist but obviously this person cannot help him. He is already showing signs of extreme violence and may have to be medicated to treat him, which may not work in his home environment where medicating him may be a problem.

I do not believe this was done to harm him but to help him and keep track of him through the system so if he does cause harm to someone he will be on the radar so he does not harm others. I agree that they have done the right thing. jmo

Well you guys all bring up some very good points. And maybe it is best what the prosecutors decided to do in this case. I stand corrected.

Well you guys all bring up some very good points. And maybe it is best what the prosecutors decided to do in this case. I stand corrected.

Well, it does seem extreme but we only have a snapshot of what his behavior is really like. If he causes trouble in school all the time it is not fair to the other students who are trying to learn and either feel threaten, intimated by him or his classroom disruptions stop the lessons from proceeding because he has to be physically removed from the class, which sounds like it could be violent.

Whatever his problem is I'm sure they tried everything with this child and this is a last resort. Such a shame for a child his age to harbor such anger. jmo

giagreen
Thanks for opening this thread.
I don't think you or anyone on W/S needs to "stand corrected" for your opinions, if they are based on fact.
Based on the scant known info, I'm not sure what to think about him but on preliminary basis, I tend to agree w the other posters.

He attends a 'special needs' school but we do not know if he has special needs other than 'anger issues.' Maybe, maybe not.

I hope the charges will result in something positive (maybe juvie conviction, maybe not) but something along the lines of respect for parents, teachers, LEO, authority generally, respect for ppl's property, etc. Maybe counseling, therapy, further guidance for his parents?

We are all entitled to form opinions but not to make up our own 'facts.'
And there are quite a few unknown facts here.

Thanks again, for your OP and for others' posts.

JM2cts and I may be wrong.:seeya:

except they have blasted his face everywhere. He may have disabilities. HE is 8 for goodness sake.

Yea I don't like that his face has been blasted all over at all. Tho its good IMO to hear news like this there is no reason we need to know his name or what he looks like.

giagreen
Thanks for opening this thread.
I don't think you or anyone on W/S needs to "stand corrected" for your opinions, if they are based on fact.
Based on the scant known info, I'm not sure what to think about him but on preliminary basis, I tend to agree w the other posters.

He attends a 'special needs' school but we do not know if he has special needs other than 'anger issues.' Maybe, maybe not.

I hope the charges will result in something positive (maybe juvie conviction, maybe not) but something along the lines of respect for parents, teachers, LEO, authority generally, respect for ppl's property, etc. Maybe counseling, therapy, further guidance for his parents?

We are all entitled to form opinions but not to make up our own 'facts.'
And there are quite a few unknown facts here.

Thanks again, for your OP and for others' posts.

JM2cts and I may be wrong.:seeya:

Hey your welcome. I see all kinds of good topics I want to post all the time but this one actually got me heated at first when I was thinking the felonies would be sticking with him for life.

I guess I should of picked better wording then "stand corrected" I guess what I meant is after seeing others points of views on this I couldn't really disagree with them. It is best to maybe just scare the living crap out of this kid with big consequences before he get old enough to actually ruin his own life or worse ruin someone else's life.

My main worry was these felonies would stick with him for life. That I would be so against. I new juvenile records are sealed but the only time I've ever seen a child being charged with felonies is when they were being charged as adults so I pretty much had a blond moment there. Lol and yes I am blond :)

VIDEO: Little Boy Tries to Get Felony Charges Dropped

Read more: http://fox17online.com/2014/04/22/v...-to-get-felony-charges-dropped/#ixzz2zju8lisU

I was floored to see the boy's face, and his name and age published in the story.

ETA: He's a minor, so although his record can be sealed now, isn't the damage already done, to an extent, now that this story has been published? :waitasec:

My app crashed, as I tried to view the video via iPhone, so I am not fully caught up. Am I missing something?

I'm not debating anything previously discussed. Everyone has made good points.

My concern is the non-redacted video and the release of his full name. ETA2: As they say, the Internet is forever. This story - his actions - will follow him forever. Sealed records will not protect him. This will show up in a google search / background check :moo:

Please correct me if I wrong.

TIA....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was floored to see the boy's face, and his name and age published in the story.

ETA: He's a minor, so although his record can be sealed now, isn't the damage already done, to an extent, now that this story has been published? :waitasec:

My app crashed, as I tried to view the video via iPhone, so I am not fully caught up. Am I missing something?

I'm not debating anything previously discussed. Everyone has made good points.

My concern is the non-redacted video and the release of his full name. ETA2: As they say, the Internet is forever. This story - his actions - will follow him forever. Sealed records will not protect him. This will show up in a google search / background check :moo:

Please correct me if I wrong.

TIA....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No your not missing anything. Its way wrong this boy's face has been all over. Its horrible.

The Mickey Mouse fan’s feet can’t even reach the floor, and he’s already been charged with two felonies.

from http://fox17online.com/2014/04/22/v...-to-get-felony-charges-dropped/#ixzz2zma7gwFc

:aktion1:

Anyway.. I assume if his face and name have been made public it's been with the family's permission. The whole "public shaming goes viral" method of discipline has been pretty popular lately, even if the mother/fiance are speaking in support of the boy. I may be approaching this from the wrong perspective.. I've just read a lot of stories from parents of children with behavioral issues who had become so desperate they had to essentially beg for their children to be arrested so they could start going through the therapeutic channels they otherwise can't access.

If he does have an incurable conduct disorder, the sympathy of the public is certainly not going to help him get a better perspective on the consequences of his actions.

"[The prosecutors] understand. They understand that he knows he done wrong."

I'm not sure a series of antisocial actions of that sort qualifies for a "boys will be boys" esque statement. Sorry to sound so pessimistic.. I just hope more than anything if he needs serious help on an institutional level, he will get it, to prevent his backstory from becoming all too familiar to that of the typical adult offender we read about here.

The reporting on this is one of the more frustrating things here. "Little Boy with Special Needs Charged" etc. His own parents only acknowledged ADHD and "anger issues," and the desire to test for more disorders (??). The media knows very well "special needs" in this context will conjure images of MR IEP or autism spectrum—too many stories recently of children legitimately unable to express themselves and being excessively punished or restrained. Not the case here, IMO.

wth went so terribly wrong in this boy's life? something serious happened IMO. this isn't just organic

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back