855 users online (113 members and 742 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Australia - Maria James, 38, Thornbury, Vic, 17 June 1980

Breakthrough in 34yo murder cold case provides new leads for retired investigator's first case

23rd April,2014

As Australia's most experienced murder investigator, it is fair to say Ron Iddles does not give up easily.

Despite leaving Victoria's homicide squad early this month, Mr Iddles is still working behind the scenes to solve the first murder he was ever assigned to - 34 years ago.

In 1980, when he was a 24-year-old detective senior constable, Mr Iddles was sent to a bookshop in the Melbourne suburb of Thornbury.

The bookshop's owner, mother of two Maria James, had been killed while her two sons, 13-year-old Mark and 11-year-old Adam, were at school.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-2...murder/5407564

Iddles confident murder will soon be solved

In Australia, there are currently more than 1,300 unsolved murders, with 280 of them in Victoria.

In the past week, a new witness has come forward about the Maria James case and given police a statement.

Quote Originally Posted by marlywings View Post
    Iddles confident murder will soon be solved

In Australia, there are currently more than 1,300 unsolved murders, with 280 of them in Victoria.

In the past week, a new witness has come forward about the Maria James case and given police a statement.

I love when you read stuff like this! How fabulous that they look likely to catch Maria James' murderer, so many years later. He/she would have definitely thought they were home free!!

I love cold case work!!!

Oh wow, so glad this case is open again. Have read a bit about this case. Such a sad and horrible story. I remember reading somewhere, that Father Bongiornos sister was asked to give her DNA sample via saliva swab and she refused. Hence why they are now seeking to exhume his body. Filthy priest he was, hope this gets solved. Cant hide your sins forever.

just found the link, which is more in depth
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226600093368

What is taking so long about getting an exhumation order and gathering the required DNA?

This suspected pedophile priest seems to have enough accusations against him to warrant it.

Maria James and her sons deserve justice for her brutal and horrific murder.

Enough of the covering up already!!
    Things are not what they appear to be. Nor are they otherwise.
    - Surangama Sutra

OMG! That's the worst nightmare possible!

bookshop murder victim Maria James answered this telephone and asked her former husband, Fitzroy town clerk, John James, to hang on while she attended to an inquiry. He heard his former wife being killed. Picture: HWT library
    JMHOO

Chemo a day keeps the funeral away
    ET go home

Quote Originally Posted by they'll get you View Post
    OMG! That's the worst nightmare possible!

bookshop murder victim Maria James answered this telephone and asked her former husband, Fitzroy town clerk, John James, to hang on while she attended to an inquiry. He heard his former wife being killed. Picture: HWT library

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226600093368

Poor guy ... he could probably hear a lot with the phone placed like that. I'm guessing help was able to get to Maria quite quickly then, but that it was to no avail.
    Things are not what they appear to be. Nor are they otherwise.
    - Surangama Sutra

Wow someone was pissed ..

They sound like they are on the right track, definitely someone known to the victim, wasn't planned

Id like to see them get DNA from the priest,

Id almost be willing to bet the binding was done post mortem, and the offender was in the process of staging the crime scene, possibly to look like a rape or a robbery when he was interrupted.

Covered in the victims blood, he would've been noticed, so its likely he drove to and from the location.

Most likely there'd be inadvertent blood transfer, from the offender to his vehicle, and most likely to his residence as well.

Post offensive behavior, would be pretty evident

NOW I will say that receiving a phone call from her Ex -husband WHILE she was being killed, raises BIG red flags, (at least with me ) a bit. That seems a little too coincidental, though it absolutely could be just that . But in criminal investigation coincidences are a RARE occurrence... so ID make sure I clear that VERY thoroughly.

This investigator sounds like a pit bull.. once he gets the DNA from the priest it would be interesting to see where it goes from there .

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Yes, if it is the guy, he can't be arrested but at least they'll know not to spend any more precious time and money on the investigation.

One thing that causes me pause though; why didn't she tell her former husband the priest was there when she was about to lay down the phone, if it was indeed the priest? In that case, it seems odd to me that she would just indicate that some unspecified person was there for an inquiry.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Ron Iddles -was- a pit bull, what a pity we cannot clone him. He's solved so many of these neglected older cases, or at least got them moving again. One of the best -- he's in a position at the Police Union now AFAIK.

Poor Maria and family. This case is a can of worms that's needed to opened for so many years. What a shame they can't force that filthy pedo's sister to give up her DNA -- what's she scared of??? Tarnishing his good name?? What a selfish wench.

I don't find it much of a coincidence that Bongiorno was charged that same year. Acquitted of course, but they all were back then. It'd be a different story these days, one would hope.

Here's a lovely story on Ron's retirement, detailing some of the 300+ homicide cases he's investigated, including Maria James:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/homic...322-35afb.html

"He was the best thief-catcher I've seen in my whole life,'' the 80-year-old former senior sergeant reveals. "He was fearless. Tireless. It's unbelievable to think someone could be that good."

Sometimes, Iddles would even turn up to work with a crook in tow, having caught them in an illegal act on his way to the station.

-- they just do not make them like that anymore.

Priest ruled out in Vic cold case murder

"A parish priest who died more than a decade ago has been ruled out as a suspect in one of Victoria's oldest cold case murder investigations.

Father Anthony Bongiorno was regularly reported as a key suspect in the murder of mother-of-two Maria James on June 17, 1980, inside her Thornbury bookshop.

'Homicide Squad detectives can confirm that Father Bongiorno, who died on February 15, 2002, has been eliminated as a suspect through a variety of investigative techniques,' Detective Senior Sergeant Stuart Bailey said on Saturday"

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/natio...se-murder.html
    MY OPINION ONLY

Just call me Tootsie