1348 users online (263 members and 1085 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

MO St L area (Clayton) Parent's Worst Nightmare, 9 y/o Dau Raped by Stranger, hotel

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/m...54fdf8771.html

[Now 45 y/o Defendant]
    "Hughes was in town for training by his employer, Enterprise Fleet Management, from which he has since been fired. There is no dispute that he entered the wrong hotel room after a night of drinking, having obtained its key in a desk clerk’s error." BBM

40+y/o man did not realize he was in bed w 9 y/o girl?
    The Ritz Carlton?

Once again, human (hotel front desk employee) interface w technology (creating key access to hotel room) results in error w horrific consequences?

Will be reading more on this.
    JM2cts and I could be wrong.

ETA: I said 'rape'
    MSM said: "...center of the Ritz-Carlton molestation case."

Someone please tell me or figure out how I can block this entire subforum for awhile? I can't take any more crimes against children... this past few days have been horrifying......sigh

I could maybe see him being told one room # and getting the key to another room, then going back to the desk after it didn't work, or I guess passing out drunk in the hallway after failing to open the door. But this?

"You're in room such-and-such.. here is the key to said room, for which there should only be back-up copies and a very distinct indication of occupation.."

Too coincidental IMO for someone with the predisposition to rape a 9 year-old to somehow end up in a room with one after bypassing what is normally a series of secure barriers. You don't get drunk and realize you can do that. You get drunk and do it again or finally do it after wanting to for a while. Again JMO. Can't handle this.. and probably going to second guess that hotel chain from now on.

Wonder if he and the desk clerk had any previous interactions.
    It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy.

----

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    The girl’s family has sued the Ritz-Carlton Hotel chain and this hotel’s owner, Maritz, Wolff & Co., seeking more than $5 million. Hughes and Enterprise had been named as defendants but were later dropped.

why would they drop suit against the defendant?

It seems like too big of a coincidence that out of the all the rooms in the hotel, he just happened to get the key for the one with three young girls in it. And not just that, but one where the parents are on a different floor, not adjoining where the door could be opened. On the other hand, if you were looking for a victim, the one who is staying in a room with no adults would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    The girl’s family has sued the Ritz-Carlton Hotel chain and this hotel’s owner, Maritz, Wolff & Co., seeking more than $5 million. Hughes and Enterprise had been named as defendants but were later dropped.

why would they drop suit against the defendant?
    As I understand it, girl & parents dropped Hughes & his employer (Enterprise, the reason he was at hotel, for corp. training or meeting) as defendants--- shallow $ pockets, but continue civil suit against the Ritz Carlton chain and owner of this location --- w deep $$$ pockets.
    There could be factors other than $$$$; I could be wrong.

Thanks to ppl posting on this thread.

I'm trying to step into 21st C, w this new tablet and can't get thanks button to work.
    Any hint to a tech impaired-user of Microsoft Surface2 RT?

Quote Originally Posted by eileenhawkeye View Post
    It seems like too big of a coincidence that out of the all the rooms in the hotel, he just happened to get the key for the one with three young girls in it. And not just that, but one where the parents are on a different floor, not adjoining where the door could be opened. On the other hand, if you were looking for a victim, the one who is staying in a room with no adults would be perfect.
    Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge co-hinky-dink.

Quote Originally Posted by eileenhawkeye View Post
    According the story, the parents were in the adjoining room.

Quote Originally Posted by SStarr33 View Post
    According the story, the parents were in the adjoining room.
    The story is a bit confusing, but I think they mean a different set of parents were in the room, probably the parents of the friend in the room with her.

They first say She didnít realize her parents had carried her to her own bed, on a different floor of the hotel.

Later in the story She then sought help from the parents, in an adjoining room.

A few more items on this trial:
    From April 24:
    http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...deac065a2.html

From April 25:
    http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/m...1-542e-ba15-63
    ce7755c002.html

"Jurors, who are now deliberating, have been instructed that they can only consider the level of intoxication in deciding whether to consider Hughes' statements to police, but that it is not a defense to the alleged crime. Nor can perceived age of the victim be used as a defense.

"To find him guilty of the four counts, they must believe beyond a reasonable doubt that he touched the girl's breasts and vagina for his own sexual gratification. Two counts refer to touching over her clothes, and two counts refer to touching under her clothes."

Def did not take the stand.
    There was testimony about his alcohol blood level, est'ed as three times the legal limit for driving.
    ~ equivalent of 13 drinks (DK, over what period of time).

From earlier today, w an update w. JURY VERDICT, ~ 1 hr ago.
    http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...6828db515b4.ht

An interesting take, about the Bud Light "ready for whatever comes next" ad and
    this defendant & situation, by columnist Bill McCllellan, before jury verdict:
    http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...adaf55266.html
    Many interesting comments follow.
    Last edited by al66pine; 04-28-2014 at 09:30 PM.