1349 users online (261 members and 1088 guests)  

Websleuths News

NV - Reno, WhtMale UP7633, ~60, 'Carlos Otero', suicide by IV, Aug'99

Date Found: August 14, 1999
    Washoe County Coroner Case #0730-99
    White male, thin build, 64.5 inches tall, 137 pounds, estimated 60 years of age. Dyed brown curly hair with grey roots, Blue/Grey eyes, wears glasses. Has a 9" vertical scar on his stomach and has upper teeth missing. Body was clad in a brown short-sleeved pajama top, a pair of red plaid boxer style shorts and a pair of brown socks. Found in Colonial Motel room. Bronx, New York fictitious address. He had a luggage tag with a fictitious name of Carlos F. Otero. Used elaborate IV device to self-inject.
    Cause of Death: Overdose of thiopental/Suicide
    Agency: Reno Police Department, case #189998-99

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/7633

https://identifyus.org/en/medias/full/6717 (PM pic at link)
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 04-25-2014 at 12:00 PM.

I have to wonder if he was a doctor of some sort at some point in his life. I don't know that common folk would be able to rig up a drug used in lethal injections like he supposedly did. Who the heck even has access to that!?

Sodium thiopental - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Thiopental is still rarely used as a recreational drug, usually stolen from veterinarians or other legitimate users of the drug; however, more common sedatives such as benzodiazepines are usually preferred as recreational drugs, and abuse of thiopental tends to be uncommon and opportunistic."
    Last edited by KateB; 04-28-2015 at 06:11 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

No kidding. If that's IV tubing that's in the photo then he practically put in his own central line. (unless he already had a port? but then again the ME would have noted this - sounds like he rigged it up himself).

Being able to construct an "elaborate IV device" coupled with access to sodium thiopental sure points to a background in anesthesia/surgery.

I wonder what was in the suicide note?

Quote Originally Posted by annemc2 View Post
    No kidding. If that's IV tubing that's in the photo then he practically put in his own central line. (unless he already had a port? but then again the ME would have noted this - sounds like he rigged it up himself).

Being able to construct an "elaborate IV device" coupled with access to sodium thiopental sure points to a background in anesthesia/surgery.

I wonder what was in the suicide note?
    Wow, good eye!!!! I can't even find the tubing. :X I wonder if it would've been mentioned in that book that has been suggested in the 1996 suicide of Annandale Jane Doe -- the final exit was it called??

Housekeeping at the Colonial Motel Inn discovered the decedent lying in a supine position in the bathtub with his head resting on a pillow. There were two intravenous solutions hanging from the shower rod attached to an IV in the decedent's right arm. He had injected himself with LR and Thiopental.

He checked in with a Bronx, New York address that did not check out. His luggage tag had the name Carlos F. Otero, which also did not check out.

A suicide note dated 8/11/1999 was left for his family although there are no references to the names of his family members. The note is on file with the Washoe County Medical Examiner's Office.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2060umnv.html

Some sources say that he must have had someone there helping him with the IV. I don't think he necessarily did. All he would have to do is take the vial of thiopental (powdered form) and add water (he probably did not care if he was using a sterile preparation at this point). Add the entire vial into the bag of Lactated Ringer's, hang it from the shower rod, insert needle, and let the whole thing infuse. But it looks like he had two bags going? Hmmm...
    Last edited by annemc2; 04-25-2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: added

I wonder if there's indication about what hand he favored, maybe using the note if it was handwritten. The IV was in his right arm which, to me, would indicate left handedness. I am pathetically right handed (as in, my left hand is only there for looks), so maybe others would have an easier time starting an IV with their non-dominant hand, but for me it would be a bloody mess. If he was left-handed, that could rule in and out certain people. If he was right handed, it could point to assistance with his suicide.

I wonder if they would release the note to the public. If no one else offers to call the guy listed as being in charge, I'll try next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the land of beer, cheese and serial killers
    Quote Originally Posted by annemc2 View Post
    Either that or he was an IV drug addict. I've seen heroin users who are on par with anesthesiologists in finding veins to access so they can shoot up.

Ruleouts, last updated October 2015:

Carlo Pfaff 1944 South Carolina
    MICHAEL WATKINS 1949 Nebraska