1077 users online (178 members and 899 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 119
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    818

    Woman sues teen she hit and killed


  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    818

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    where orchids grow on trees
    Posts
    5,318
    Quote Originally Posted by lisser View Post
    Unbelievable!!
    Richard Castle " There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people: psychopaths and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    138
    This is actually a countersuit. The family has sued her for $900,000. The family believes she was driving under the influence and/or texting despite no evidence of the sort. Unfortunately the kids were riding three abreast in dark clothing with little to no reflectors. It's a tragic accident and I feel for both the families and the woman.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia -- Redneck Country
    Posts
    7,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose22 View Post
    Unfortunately the kids were riding three abreast in dark clothing with little to no reflectors. It's a tragic accident and I feel for both the families and the woman.
    Yeah, riding in the middle of a dark road at 1:30 AM!

    I don't blame her for filing a counter suit.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,262
    I have been thinking about this counter suit all morning. I have to admit that I see both sides.

    I am an avid cyclist and am fearful of being hit by a car so always stay out of the roadway!

    I know I am older but what is the deal with younger people thinking they can bike, walk, skateboard, etc down the middle of the road and not move out of the freakin way of oncoming cars? I see it all the time when I am out driving and have to dodge these kids constantly on the side road to where I live.

    I have no doubt this woman suffers from PTSD from this horrible accident. What an awful situation for her and for the boys' families, can't imagine what this particular family is going thru after losing him this way.

    but, geez, what were these kids doing outside biking in the dark at 1:30 am? And why wasn't the driver checked for alcohol/drugs?

    What an awful situation all around.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,118
    Before I knew more about the reasoning, I was livid. I only watched a short video about the woman suing the families, and I couldn't believe that she would be so horrible. Now that I see more of the facts, I can't say I blame her. She'll live that exact moment in her head for the rest of her life.

    I do have some questions? Was she ever given a traffic citation for the accident? Meaning, was she found at fault?

    I see the families are saying that she may have been intoxicated or texting, but that there is no proof of that. Why would they accuse this woman of something without proof? I think that it would be protocol to do some testing for sobriety in any fatal accident, right? Especially that late.

    Speaking of... why were the boys out that late at night? Were they tested for intoxication? It's a fair question if the families are accusing this woman of being intoxicated without proof.

    Please don't think I am putting blame on the victim or the other boys injured, but it appears this woman may be just as much a victim and it seems like the families are hell bent on making her the monster in all of this. It appears that they filed lawsuits against her first and she is countersuing.

    There really are no winners here. I feel bad for all involved, but if this woman was not found at fault for the accident and the families are accusing her of the things they are accusing her of without proof... I think she is 100% right in her countersuit.
    Justice for Trayvon

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondie in Spokane View Post
    I have been thinking about this counter suit all morning. I have to admit that I see both sides.

    I am an avid cyclist and am fearful of being hit by a car so always stay out of the roadway!

    I know I am older but what is the deal with younger people thinking they can bike, walk, skateboard, etc down the middle of the road and not move out of the freakin way of oncoming cars? I see it all the time when I am out driving and have to dodge these kids constantly on the side road to where I live.

    I have no doubt this woman suffers from PTSD from this horrible accident. What an awful situation for her and for the boys' families, can't imagine what this particular family is going thru after losing him this way.

    but, geez, what were these kids doing outside biking in the dark at 1:30 am? And why wasn't the driver checked for alcohol/drugs?

    What an awful situation all around.
    I don't know how it works where you live, but cyclists who do choose to ride in traffic lanes are to follow the same laws of the road as motorists here (SW Florida).

    Is it a fact that the driver wasn't checked for alcohol/drugs? I would think that would be protocol in any fatal accident? Maybe I'm wrong?
    Justice for Trayvon

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose22 View Post
    This is actually a countersuit. The family has sued her for $900,000. The family believes she was driving under the influence and/or texting despite no evidence of the sort. Unfortunately the kids were riding three abreast in dark clothing with little to no reflectors. It's a tragic accident and I feel for both the families and the woman.
    Well, it should be easy enough to prove whether or not she was texting. Phone records. I do need to know if she was given a sobriety test though. I don't know if it is mandatory in fatal accidents, but it should be. Not accusing the woman of being intoxicated, but I think she should have been. At least she would have had the proof she needed to protect her against exactly what is happening now. Hopefully she was given one and even if she wasn't, I am sure the responding officers will give their reasons for not issuing one. The main reason would be that she showed no signs of intoxication. I just hope that will be enough.

    You seem to know more about the case. Was she given a traffic citation? Or was she found not to be at fault? Do you know?
    Justice for Trayvon

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,262
    Quote Originally Posted by LolaMoon08 View Post
    I don't know how it works where you live, but cyclists who do choose to ride in traffic lanes are to follow the same laws of the road as motorists here (SW Florida).

    Is it a fact that the driver wasn't checked for alcohol/drugs? I would think that would be protocol in any fatal accident? Maybe I'm wrong?
    Yes - it is the law here as well but, for some reason, few under 20 years old bother to follow the rules on side roads and it's so annoying! I don't want to hit anyone FGS! I'm constantly frustrated by this! They seem to think that they own the road!

    I read in one of the articles that the driver wasn't checked for alcohol/drugs. if I can find the link I'll post it.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,118
    Okay. I just read more about the case (should have done that in the first place - DUH!!). She was exonerated of any fault in the accident after LE was finished with its investigation.

    I can only imagine the amount of grief this family is feeling. They've lost a child. But it does seem that they are trying to find anything or anyone to blame for this tragic accident. So much so that they are slandering an innocent woman and very publicly at that. That's not right.

    IF I was a Judge... I would probably dismiss both cases although I am more inclined to give the driver some sort of settlement for the slander.
    Justice for Trayvon

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,262
    Here we go: (this is the family's lawyer being quoted here)

    He alleges Simon was speeding and may have been intoxicated and talking on her cellphone. A police report showed she was going at 90km per hour in an 80 zone.

    'Sharlene Simon failed to take reasonable care to avoid a collision which she saw or should have seen was likely to occur,' his claim states. 'She operated the motor vehicle while she was intoxicated.'

    None of the allegations have been tested in court. Ms Simon was not breathalyzed at the scene.


    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz306k1lhiF

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    818
    I have to admit I took the article at face value too. I think both sides should drop the lawsuits. Seems that they are all victims of a tragic accident.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondie in Spokane View Post
    Yes - it is the law here as well but, for some reason, few under 20 years old bother to follow the rules on side roads and it's so annoying! I don't want to hit anyone FGS! I'm constantly frustrated by this! They seem to think that they own the road!

    I read in one of the articles that the driver wasn't checked for alcohol/drugs. if I can find the link I'll post it.
    Oh, I've had my share of run-ins with kids doing this exact thing. I lost my temper once and actually rolled down my window and told them I WOULD hit them with my car. Oh, I got all kinds of f-bombs, and middle fingers. I was really hoping one would have touched my car so I could actually get them charged with something.

    We had these twin boys that lived in my apartment complex once. Terrors at 7-years-old. I would hear them cursing out and threatening adults all the time. It was horrific. Especially when they would do this to elderly people. They literally had no supervision. Ran around without any care in the world and they actually got a pack of kids to follow them around and gang up on people. They finally ran into me one day though and it wasn't pretty!!

    I was backing out of my parking spot and one of the twins jumped on the back of my car. HARD! I immediately threw the car in park and jumped out of my car. I was livid!! Both were there and I know it scared the crap out of them when I jumped out of my car (I'm only 5'0 ). I was not playing with them. I immediately told the twin who didn't jump on my car to go and get his parents or I was calling the cops. Luckily, my neighbor was actually a cop and came outside. I will admit... I was SCREAMING at these kids and a lot of people came outside. The cop knew all about these two boys and told me to play it cool. He was going to do something. He called a friend who was on duty to come over with a marked vehicle. That way, it might spark some real panic into the kids. The parents did come running. My neighbor (the cop) talked to the parents, but it wasn't too long before other neighbors got involved and started telling the parents their own stories of their own run ins with the boys. I'll admit the boys were petrified, but honestly, it was the best thing that could have happened to them... and their parents who didn't watch over them.

    One day, I was in my garage going through things and the twins came walking by. They literally came into my garage and were saying how cool this was or that was... They were sweet as pie. Well behaved and I had no problem talking with them and letting them dig through my hoarding habit. I even allowed them each to take one thing they liked. We never had a problem with them again.

    Oh, I have more stories, but I don't want to ramble on. I don't take their crap though. Neither should you or anyone else.
    Justice for Trayvon

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondie in Spokane View Post
    Here we go: (this is the family's lawyer being quoted here)

    He alleges Simon was speeding and may have been intoxicated and talking on her cellphone. A police report showed she was going at 90km per hour in an 80 zone.

    'Sharlene Simon failed to take reasonable care to avoid a collision which she saw or should have seen was likely to occur,' his claim states. 'She operated the motor vehicle while she was intoxicated.'

    None of the allegations have been tested in court. Ms Simon was not breathalyzed at the scene.


    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz306k1lhiF
    A similar lawsuit was filed by a driver who struck and killed a volunteer firefighter in Iowa and it was tossed by the Judge.

    http://www.ketv.com/news/judge-dismi...wsuit/22604242

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Teen sues parents after being ‘kicked out,’ wants money
    By Blondie in Spokane in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 418
    Last Post: 05-13-2017, 09:30 AM
  2. Teen sues family over alleged abortion threat
    By peeples in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-17-2012, 06:00 PM
  3. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 04-13-2010, 01:25 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-27-2009, 12:51 PM
  5. Teen passenger in speeding car sues driver who was hit
    By capoly in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 08:12 PM