John -"Something really important to attend to"

GuruJosh

Inactive
Reaction score
In PMPT, p18 of paperback, Schiller writes:

"Moments later, Ramsey told [Larry] Mason that he, his wife, and his son would be flying to Atlanta that evening. He said he had something really important to attend to."

Did John ever clarify what it was that he had to attend to?

I take it that it must have involved family, since attending to business would have been inconceivable at that point.

I've heard subsequently that John and/or Patsy thought that if there was a killer on the loose, targeting the Rams, they'd be safer with relatives or friends in Atlanta. But that explanation was after the fact, and doesn't explain what had to be "attended to" by John on the 26th (assuming the unreliable Schiller got the 2nd-hand quote right).

You might say that the entire process of relocating temporarily to Atlanta was something that could conceivably be "attended to"; but you couldn't say that you had to take the family to Atlanta, to ATTEND TO, well, taking them to Atlanta.. could you?

If you were relocating to Atlanta, you wouldn't say, "I'm taking the family to Atlanta, to attend to relocating them in Atlanta."

Well, I wouldn't ;)

GuruJosh,

I remember reading about JR stating he and his family wanted to leave for Atlanta that evening,and the police telling him he can't leave. As far as the "I have some thing important to tend to",I don't remember reading that. Could it perhaps be Schiller embellishing the statement for "effect"? Who knows?

When John Ramsey's six-year-old daughter was just found tied up, sexually assaulted, likely tortured, and murdered, what would be on his mind?

If the person or persons who did this to JonBenet isn't foremost on his mind, then John's functioning on half a brain. JOHN IS OBVIOUSLY THINKING OF DEALING WITH THE KILLER.

So who's in Atlanta who has to be "attended to"?

It was either B.S. - to get outta town .... or, as Bluecrab stated, he was thinking of dealing with the killer.

Who was in Atlanta....hmmm? Who had legal representation in Atlanta....hmmm? Who were the police not allowed to talk to in Atlanta....hmmmm?

Running and reading to catch up....WHO? JAR?

BlueCrab said:
When John Ramsey's six-year-old daughter was just found tied up, sexually assaulted, likely tortured, and murdered, what would be on his mind?

If the person or persons who did this to JonBenet isn't foremost on his mind, then John's functioning on half a brain. JOHN IS OBVIOUSLY THINKING OF DEALING WITH THE KILLER.

BlueCrab-

Now this is an interesting theory. Why would he bring along PR and BR if he was going Atlanta to "attend to" this something or someone? I guess they could stay with her family during this.

bensmom

John lawyered up his family in Atlanta, including his ex -wife Lucinda.

The "business" that he needed to attend to is talking to friends and family, telling them not to cooperate with LE.

The detectives who went to Atlanta were met with doors being slammed in their faces...and from the friends who did speak...nothing but contempt for.

This makes absolutely no sense that the Father of a murdered child would do something this sinister. He knew from the start that they would be the number one suspects....but instead of trying to clear themselves...they go the other route, hiring high powered defense attornies, talking to friends and family in Atlanta..warning them to not say anything.

John Ramsey is the most despicable man on the face of this earth.

BlueCrab said:

My thoughts exactly, but wasn't JAR in Boulder at the time? Did he fly back to GA that evening? Or are you thinking of someone else.

My first guess would be "attending to the killer" might involve "getting their stories straight" and working out what the best way to proceed is.

Unless he thought that the family could get some privacy with Burke in Atlanta...

"I try to focus on what we are going to do next. Boulder isn't really our home. Atlanta is. We need to go home now. To our parents, to our family, to my brother, Jeff. That's what we should do."

DOI p. 24 ppbk.

The more important question is: Why didn't Mason ask?
Now,I'm not an investigator, (I only play one on this forum lol),but as soon as that statement came out of John's mouth,I would have followed up with: Really John? As far as I know,you did not have any immediate plans before this incident to go to Atlanta. What has come up all of a sudden in Atlanta,that you have to attend to?"

I'm thinking John didn't make that statement at that time ... and if he did ... then shame on Larry Mason.

capps said:
The more important question is: Why didn't Mason ask?
Now,I'm not an investigator, (I only play one on this forum lol),but as soon as that statement came out of John's mouth,I would have followed up with: Really John? As far as I know,you did not have any immediate plans before this incident to go to Atlanta. What has come up all of a sudden in Atlanta,that you have to attend to?"

I'm thinking John didn't make that statement at that time ... and if he did ... then shame on Larry Mason.
I agree. Perhaps John said something on the lines of I want to get my family home to Atlanta. That probably would have been self-explanatory to Mason.

Didn't Schiller once say something about even if his book wasn't always accurate, he got the essence of what happened.

I think if you are going to put words in people's mouths they should be the correct words.

tipper said:
"I try to focus on what we are going to do next. Boulder isn't really our home. Atlanta is. We need to go home now. To our parents, to our family, to my brother, Jeff. That's what we should do."

DOI p. 24 ppbk.
Thanks for the quote, tipper. It is somewhat suggestive of an idea I mentioned recently that PR may have intended to go back home to Georgia to deal with abuse she learned JB had suffered, and escape the environment where it had occurred. This could have caused a note to be written in advance as a part of a plan for a staged abduction to "explain" visable injury to JB and justify leaving Boulder. How that might have developed into JB's death is not yet explained. It just fits with a lot of what's known and speculated.

Another point regarding Blue Crab's explanation of JR's need to do something in Georgia, could relate to confronting JAR as a possible cause/instigator of the earlier abuse even if JAR had no direct involvement her death.

Toltec said:

The "business" that he needed to attend to is talking to friends and family, telling them not to cooperate with LE.

The detectives who went to Atlanta were met with doors being slammed in their faces...and from the friends who did speak...nothing but contempt for.

This makes absolutely no sense that the Father of a murdered child would do something this sinister. He knew from the start that they would be the number one suspects....but instead of trying to clear themselves...they go the other route, hiring high powered defense attornies, talking to friends and family in Atlanta..warning them to not say anything.

John Ramsey is the most despicable man on the face of this earth.

Only 30 short minutes after finding his daughter DEAD in his basement, John Ramsey is overheard by police phoning his pilot wanting to get the hell out of Dogde that night. John Ramsey has since claimed that he "feared for their lives" and this is the reason he wanted to leave.
BS! He completely proves this is NOT his real motive when he IGNORES his young son and HIS safety who is sitting at the White's house unguarded!!!
He and Patsy leave their crime scene home and have to even ponder WHERE to go now?!! Unbelievable.
IF they truly were afraid for their family's safety and truly believed the ransom note's threats that they were being watched and scrutinized - they would have RUSHED to Burke immediately!! But they didn't. They did not meet up with him for hours.
There was NO fear for their safety.
Only grief for the loss of their little girl.
The call to their pilot seeking to shuttle them out of state was to protect them LEGALLY - not physically.
So John did the best he could by hiring the best and most powerful lawyers in the state of Colorado.

Their actions and choices say far more than their BS in their self-serving book or their pathetic little public relations schemes over the years beginning with the CNN interview the day after they buried JonBenet.

I believe JonBenet's death was an "accident", precipitated by an altercation most likely with her older brother Burke. Her parents then staged the crime scene with "obvious" injuries to JonBenet (thinking she was already "dead") and a long and dramatic kidnap note in order to divert attention away from what really happened.
Officers on the scene that morning wrote in their police report that the Ramseys appeared to be "grieving a death" more than worried about a kidnapping.
Even Schiller stated that there "IS validity to that claim."

Lacy Wood said:
Another point regarding Blue Crab's explanation of JR's need to do something in Georgia, could relate to confronting JAR as a possible cause/instigator of the earlier abuse even if JAR had no direct involvement her death.

LW,

Yes, JAR is who I had in mind in regard to John's comment about going to Atlanta to attend to something important.

Some of the Ramsey family's comments suggest that perhaps JAR had been molesting JonBenet and the family knew about it and disapproved, but had been taking a relatively tolerant posture toward it.

The clear evidence of chronic (2 to 3 days prior to the murder) sexual abuse points a finger at a Ramsey member or a very close family friend. No one else would have had the opportunity to get to JonBenet and molest her on different days of the week.

Familial incest is a possibility in this murder, and the motive could very well be the silencing of JonBenet because she was threatening to tell. Therefore, the 911 hang-up call at the Christmas party on the 23rd seems to be taking on more significance. Was it JonBenet who placed that call, and did it seal her fate?

BlueCrab

Toltec said:

The "business" that he needed to attend to is talking to friends and family, telling them not to cooperate with LE...
Exactly, Toltec.

It was the rich CEO-guy's version of piling the gang in the car and heading for the border...

The "really important" business was to circle the wagons and plan a defense strategy... not to mention getting as far away from Boulder law enforcement as possible.

I also believe John wanted to get Patsy under the control of her parents/family - strengthen her support system - for further protection from any nosy cops and (hopefully) to keep her quiet about what really happened.

Here's a thought...

In playing devil's advocate, I will try to defend JR's actions. Imagine he is innocent and had no idea who did it. Now, imagine that he finds himself(as he did) on 12/26/96 in Boulder with PR, BR, his daughter dead, and a whole bunch of cops. What if he thought that Patsy or Burke or even JAR were somehow involved? Let's assume he had no idea, but he thought it might be possible. Maybe he wanted to get away from LE for a bit to talk to his family in private and try to sort things out. Might this play into his comments? Of course, it doesn't necessarily make him a good person for avoiding LE after his daughter is found killed, but it may make his actions seem less suspicious, for lack of a better word. It is only human to try and protect your family.

Voice of Reason said:
Here's a thought...

In playing devil's advocate, I will try to defend JR's actions. Imagine he is innocent and had no idea who did it. Now, imagine that he finds himself(as he did) on 12/26/96 in Boulder with PR, BR, his daughter dead, and a whole bunch of cops. What if he thought that Patsy or Burke or even JAR were somehow involved? Let's assume he had no idea, but he thought it might be possible. Maybe he wanted to get away from LE for a bit to talk to his family in private and try to sort things out. Might this play into his comments? Of course, it doesn't necessarily make him a good person for avoiding LE after his daughter is found killed, but it may make his actions seem less suspicious, for lack of a better word. It is only human to try and protect your family.

Voice, what you said could have been plausible if it weren't for the next choice that John Ramsey made directly after phoning his pilot with his plan to get his family out of the state - because he claims he feared for their safety. Were he truly fearful for his family's safety at that time - he would have said, "Oh my God - BURKE!! We've got to get to Burke and get him into our care and safety of our arms!"
But no. They didn't give him or his safety or his 'finding out' about his sister's death a single thought. They did NOT rush to him or even have him immediately brought to them! Instead they drove to a friend's house and left Burke alone for hours. Without them.
This is one of the BIGGEST reasons I think the Ramseys are knee-deep in this crime and cover-up.
They chose to distance themselves from Burke all day long that day.
And the other curious thing is how you never heard the Ramseys say that Burke himself was ever SCARED. Or frightened for HIS safety - as any normal ten year old boy woud be!

I just finished reading a book called, "High Risk - Children Without a Conscience". It is about children who are "unattached" and grow up to basically be sociopaths. No empathy for others and totally self-centered.
I am not saying this describes Burke Ramsey, but some things reported about this child make you wonder..... ("lack of affect" "indifferent" .... is how the psychologist described him when interviewed after the murder. Not "sad" or "scared for his safety".... but "indifferent")
I still wonder why the Ramseys picked up and left the state of Georgia (where John claims was their 'home' - at such a crucial time in a boy's life. He only had 2 yrs of high school left! I have boys this age.... believe me, you have to have a darned good reason to do that to them!! What was the real reason? Did Burke get into trouble in Georgia?? Makes you wonder if they needed to give him a fresh start far away....

K777angel said:
[...]
I am not saying this describes Burke Ramsey, but some things reported about this child make you wonder..... ("lack of affect" "indifferent" .... is how the psychologist described him when interviewed after the murder. Not "sad" or "scared for his safety".... but "indifferent")
QUOTE]

I've seen two descriptions of how the psychiatrist characterized Burke. One is as you said and the other is his reaction was normal. I think that was from PMPT. I posted it not too long ago. Will see if I can find it.

Burke was a strange kid, IMO. Aloof, no conscious...a weirdo. He answers peoples questions with one word. His reaction to JonBenet's death was NOT NORMAL...he just put his head down when his mother told him about JonBenet's going to Heaven.

When questioned for six hours over a three day period by a Detective Dan Schuler who is an expert in the interrogation of children...this was Burke's reaction to the entire ordeal....

PR: I said, "How was your day Burke?" He said, "Fine." That's it. "Anything you want to say?" "Nope."...I said "We are all done, you know, I am really proud of you for going through that." He said, "Yeah, that was the most boring thing I have ever done in my life."

HUH????

tipper said:
K777angel said:
[...]
QUOTE]

I've seen two descriptions of how the psychiatrist characterized Burke. One is as you said and the other is his reaction was normal. I think that was from PMPT. I posted it not too long ago. Will see if I can find it.

The characterization of a "normal" response from Burke was in regards to any indication of sexual abuse.
His reactions and "affect" were NOT normal for a ten yr old kid whose sister was MURDERED and assaulted in his home.
John Ramsey describes how Burke reacted (or I should say FAILED to react like he even cared) to the news of his sister's death in their book.
He says when they (FINALLY) reunited with Burke on the 26th, Patsy put her arm around him and said, "Honey, JonBenet's gone to heaven." Burke simply nodded his head and RAN OFF TO PLAY!!!!!!!!
This in their own words. Not realizing how incredibly abnormal and bizaare that whole scene is!
Any other 10 yr old boy who had just been told his sister had been found murdered (not to mention the fact that he was there in the house that morning with cops swarming and his parent's freaking out) - would have a million questions. (Just like he asked worried questions that morning... or was he just worried about HIMSELF?)
Most kids that age would want to KNOW what happened.
How did she die?
Who did it?
How did they get in?
Did the cops CATCH him?
Is he going to come get me? Or you or daddy?
I'm SCARED!!!
But no.
Again - Burke has "lack of affect" and is "indifferent."
Unbelievable.

I think there is waaay more about this boy than has been revealed publicly.
Just because the Ramseys had alot of money does NOT mean they weren't dysfunctional. Those kids were INDULGED. That is quite obvious.
And indulgence of children is a form of child abuse.
It is a way the parents have their OWN needs met. Through indulging their children.
It's much more about the parent than it is the child.
It's basically a matter of having their needs met in inappropriate ways.
(Same thing a pedophile does by the way.)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313
Back