Thread: Vincent Brothers alleged to have killed five family members 3 were children

Vincent Brothers alleged to have killed five family members 3 were children

A witness testified Thursday that he saw Vincent Brothers near the house where he is alleged to have killed five family members around the time of the homicides.

But the witness only told investigators about what he saw several months following the killings -- when he was in jail on criminal charges. And, he admitted, he was hoping providing information on the case would be a 'get out of jail free' card.
    This testimony came on the second day of Brothers' preliminary hearing. He is charged with five counts of murder.

Jasper Robinson said he heard gunshots while sitting on his porch drinking beer with his brothers on July 6, 2003, and later saw Vincent Brothers behind the house where Brothers' slain family members were found.

http://www.bakersfield.com/local/sto...-5543408c.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

There has been a change in attorneys in the multiple murder case against Vincent Brothers.

Judge Michael Bush kicked defense attorney Kevin Little off the case after he petitioned for another year-and-a-half to prepare for the case.

Itís a case that has already been delayed twice in recent weeks due to family emergencies and because Little said heís been sick.

Co-defense attorney Anthony Bryan will take the lead for the defense in the case.
    http://www.kget.com/news/local/story...4-E988ADE59D07
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Saying the case already had been in court for 15 months and could go to trial by early next year, the judge dismissed Little. Bush said he would be replaced by an attorney furnished by the county.

Brothers pleaded not guilty when he was initially charged, saying he was out of state visiting family when the slayings took place.

But the judge decided after Brothers' preliminary hearing that there was enough evidence to hold him for trial, so Brothers must be arraigned again and enter a new plea. He is scheduled to be back in court on Aug. 26.
    http://www.bakersfieldonline.us/news/read/2/42970

A judge removed Vincent Brothersí lead attorney today because the attorney said he needed at least 18 more months to prepare for the trial.

Brothersí attorney, Kevin Little, told the judge that if he couldnít have at least 18 months, he wanted to be taken off the case.

He said he needed the time because he was sick and because the case required a lot of preparation.

Judge Michael Bush said an attorney should be able to prepare the case in about six months and said he would find an attorney to replace Little.

The case will return to court Aug. 26 to set a trial date.
    http://www.bakersfield.com/bnw/story...-5570123c.html

By all standards the case against Vincent Brothers seems to be going slowly.

Earnestine Harper's son Eddie Harper Sr. said the delay doesn't worry him.

"It doesn't bother us," Harper Sr. said. "We're very patient. We know God is in control."

He and his family get regular updates on the case from the prosecutor's office.

"If he's acquitted he's acquitted, if he's guilty he's guilty," Harper Sr. said. "We know God has already judged. To us this is law and procedure, and that is important to us. But we know God has already judged."

The prosecution has been trying to hustle along the Brothers case for several months to the chagrin of his defense attorneys.

Brothers' former attorney Kevin Little has repeatedly reminded the judge in the case that the prosecution had a 10-month head start in its investigations.

Brothers is entitled to a speedy trial -- that means the trial should happen within 60 days after his second arraignment.

But he repeatedly waived his right to a speedy trial before the preliminary hearing. The preliminary hearing normally happens 10 days after the first arraignment.

The prosecution and defense were not able to comment for this story because they are under a gag order.
    http://www.bakersfield.com/local/sto...-5573796c.html

Vincent Brothers Arrives At San Quentin

One of the most notorious convicted murderers in Kern County history arrived at San Quentin Prison on Monday.

Vincent Brothers was convicted of killing his wife, Joanie Harper; their three children, Marques, Lyndsey and Marshall; and Joanie Harperís mother, Earnestine.

His family was found dead on July 8, 2003. Brothers was arrested in April 2004.
    During Brothers' recent sentencing, the Superior Court judge in the case denied life in prison without the possibility of parole.

A few minutes before Brothers' death sentence was upheld, a mistrial in the case was also denied.

http://www.turnto23.com/news/14254104/detail.html

Good! He is exactly where he needs to be! Wonder how Scotty feels about the competition?

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Wrongful death suit against Vincent Brothers ends in settlement

But one of the four plaintiffs reached Wednesday said the settlement is not about the plaintiffs getting money from Brothers.

“We just wanted to make sure he wasn’t allowed to get anything from Joanie,” said Elain Byrd, the sister of Joanie Harper, one of the victims.

“If anything comes from him, we just think his daughter should have it,” she said.

On the day Brothers was sentenced to death, his only surviving child, Margaret Kern, disowned her father, saying she was no longer a Brothers and would no longer use his name.

Byrd said Kern is now a successful college student in San Diego.

“She’s doing very, very well,” Byrd said.

http://www.bakersfield.com/102/story/481218.html