GUILTY MO - Gary, 60, & Jan Tyrrell, 61, murdered, Springfield, 30 April 2014

CountryGirl

Reaction score
Police: Longtime educator, wife found murdered at home (Springfield, MO)

Springfield police are investigating what they are calling a double murder discovered Thursday evening.
==
According to a release from police, Gary Tyrrell, 60, and Jan Tyrrell, 61, were found dead at their home at 3232 S. Greenbrier Ave., about 7 p.m. Police said they don't have a suspect.

More links:
http://www.ky3.com/news/local/autho...-springfield-couples-murder/21048998_25798470

http://www.ozarksfirst.com/story/d/...e-in-springfield/41958/wy6FL5I-dUKKj-uH2ro7jg

Police: Longtime educator, wife found murdered at home (Springfield, MO)

Springfield police are investigating what they are calling a double murder discovered Thursday evening.
==
According to a release from police, Gary Tyrrell, 60, and Jan Tyrrell, 61, were found dead at their home at 3232 S. Greenbrier Ave., about 7 p.m. Police said they don't have a suspect.

More links:
http://www.ky3.com/news/local/autho...-springfield-couples-murder/21048998_25798470

http://www.ozarksfirst.com/story/d/...e-in-springfield/41958/wy6FL5I-dUKKj-uH2ro7jg

Snipped:

"Reta Tyrrell, a sister-in-law of the Tyrrells, said the couple moved to Springfield because of their son's medical problems about 20 years ago. Gary Terrell commuted to Mountain Grove for years. Their son died at age 4 of a childhood cancer.

Discussing the couple's deaths, Reta Tyrrell said: "It's just a huge loss ... probably half the town, if not more, had Gary as a teacher or worked for him. He was a respected person and a pillar of the community."

Reta Terrell said Gary Tyrrell bought and sold silver and gold."

I wonder if Gary met the killer in the buying and selling of silver and gold?

That was my thought. SPD not releasing details. They seem to be unlikely victims.

Mr Tyrrell was my highschool/College teacher. He was also my friend and my mentor, I am shocked that this happened, I continued to talk with him until I moved to California, and I still chatted with him on facebook. He was a wonderful teacher. Pulmeria that is the rumor that is going around, Police still haven't released any details, they are also checking surveillance footage from the little strip mall that is by their home, I lived a few blocks from them when I lived in Springfield.

Their son was three when he died, his name was Jimmie, he was born with eye cancer that spread to his brain.

Mr Tyrrell was my highschool/College teacher. He was also my friend and my mentor, I am shocked that this happened, I continued to talk with him until I moved to California, and I still chatted with him on facebook. He was a wonderful teacher. Pulmeria that is the rumor that is going around, Police still haven't released any details, they are also checking surveillance footage from the little strip mall that is by their home, I lived a few blocks from them when I lived in Springfield.

Their son was three when he died, his name was Jimmie, he was born with eye cancer that spread to his brain.

pkstracy, Thanks for your first hand insight. It is sad that we are still on the first page of this thread. When you agreed with what I said, were you referring to rumors that it had something to do with the silver and gold trade or a disgruntled student? I'm guessing the gold and silver trade. It seems tragedy strikes some families so much harder than others. This family especially.

Yes Plumeria I was agreeing with you about the silver and gold trade.

To let everyone know, Mr. Tyrrell and his Wife were wonderful people, who were very respected in Mountain Grove, and in Springfield, I lived in both places. Thanks to Mr. Tyrrell I finished high school when I was failing, and I went on to college and got my degree, he helped with some issues I was having, we had long talks. We both loved books and would often exchange books, he got me interested in History a bit more, he was a fun teacher, and wonderful teacher, who loved his job and his students. I just can't believe someone would kill them they would have given, whomever, what they asked for. I really hope they catch the person that did this, there is some people on other websites that are saying their daughter may have done it, No, Jamie wouldn't have killed her parents, she loved them very much and wasn't even there when it happened, she would also call them everyday and they were a very close family. I hope my post helped tell you how wonderful they were.

To let everyone know, Mr. Tyrrell and his Wife were wonderful people, who were very respected in Mountain Grove, and in Springfield, I lived in both places. Thanks to Mr. Tyrrell I finished high school when I was failing, and I went on to college and got my degree, he helped with some issues I was having, we had long talks. We both loved books and would often exchange books, he got me interested in History a bit more, he was a fun teacher, and wonderful teacher, who loved his job and his students. I just can't believe someone would kill them they would have given, whomever, what they asked for. I really hope they catch the person that did this, there is some people on other websites that are saying their daughter may have done it, No, Jamie wouldn't have killed her parents, she loved them very much and wasn't even there when it happened, she would also call them everyday and they were a very close family. I hope my post helped tell you how wonderful they were.

Yes, it does - and thank you for letting us know more about them. It's so awful that they went through losing a child and then had to endure this horror.

And.....:welcome5:

Wow, that's terrible. They were killed by the husband's former boss, a school superintendant. Why would he do domething so cruel and crazy?

http://www.ozarksfirst.com/story/d/...ringfield-couple/35584/ajCe74eoe0uj6JMh-2hLBg

Gary Tyrrell was known to be an avid coin collector. According to the probable cause statement, police did not find any sign of forced entry to the Tyrrell home. A walk-in safe in the garage appeared to have scratch marks on it, like someone tried to break in. The statement shows police also found a latex glove. The Missouri State Highway Patrol Crime Laboratory developed a DNA profile from that glove.

While interviewing family members of the Tyrrells, police learned that Mark Porter was a close friend. The PC statement shows Porter had asked Gary Tyrrell for $250,000. Tyrrell did not give Porter the money. Police later learned that Porter recently had sold silver coins for $18,531.40.

An undercover detective later obtained a coffee cup used by Porter. The MHSP Crime Laboratory confirmed that the DNA profile matched the latex glove found inside the Tyrrell home.

What a shame it appears this couple lost their lives over money troubles and not their own

I am always relieved that so many criminals are utterly stupid.

What a shocker! A good family friend (NOT!) over money. SMH.

Thank God they found out who did it, He went over to borrow 150,000 dollars, as he was in the process of loosing his home, Gary wouldn't give it to him, either Gary didn't have it or they knew they weren't getting it back. Mr. Porter then tried to get Gary to open the safe and when Gary didn't comply , he was shot twice and then Jan was killed. I knew the details, not the persons name, but I was told not to say anything until it came to light, the woman that I knew her son is the Lead Investigator on the case, and she told my dad about it, when they were discussing Gary and Jan, as my dad and he were best friends as well. I am in shock that it was Mr. Porter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back