1307 users online (203 members and 1104 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

Exclamation Police are probably looking for a body

McCann Cops Are Probably Looking For a Body: Ex-Detective Chief

By Henry Austin

A police dig in the Portuguese vacation resort where Madeleine McCann went missing is likely to be looking for a body, a former Detective Chief Inspector with London’s Metropolitan Police said Wednesday.

“They could be looking for clothing, it could be weapons or some sort of other evidence, but in the case of the disappearance of a child the most obvious explanation would be that they have something that suggests it’s worth looking for a body,” said Peter Kirkham, who worked on numerous homicide investigations during his 21-year police career.

“Clothes last quite a significant amount of time in some form and things like buttons and zips last indefinitely. Weapons last pretty much for centuries,” he added. “But if you said to me the police were digging a large open space, then 99 times out of 100 I would say to you they will be looking for a body.”

British police would not comment on the investigation but two independent sources have told NBC News that the dig will likely take place in or near Portugal’s Praia da Luz resort where the 3-year-old went missing seven years ago...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/mc...e-chief-n99261

^I'm not sure you have to be a (former) DCI to figure that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sappeared.html

I'm glad something is happening but wouldn't it have been easier for the abductor just to dump her in the sea right beside the searched areas than start digging a grave right next to houses?

If she's found in one of those locations this was certainly a botched investigation.
    Did the Portuguese police not use dogs to search the area after Madeleine's disappearance? If they did, surely they would have found something - look how close the search areas are to the apartment where Madeleine disappeared from. So surely those areas must have been covered by sniffer dogs in the immediate aftermath of the event ...

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebel View Post
    '..search could coincide with arrests.'

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/474...holiday-resort
    Wow!

Eye opening words!

Yes, the significance of this announcement cannot be underestimated.

The digs are in the same area as Amaral and his team identified.

This means that after 2 years of review and a further 2 years of Operation Grange, SY have ended up in the exact same place that Amaral did.

Digging in the field which is contiguous to the area the person identified as Gerry was seen carrying a child thought to be Madeleine.

If they find a burial site so close, it tends to rule out child thieves, off shore abductors, gypsies etc. Why abduct a child only to return it to the site of the abduction?

The dogs indicate that Madeleine died in 5a. Now the entire investigation has been basically replicated by SY, they appear to also think M never left PDL alive.

So - if M laid in 5a long enough to produce cadaver, as seems likely now, it means that she couldn't have been alive when Gerry saw her on his check at 9.15.

Cadaver scent takes hours to form, not minutes.

Everything I post is my opinion only, can change at any time, and is not intended to replace fact.
    Critical Thinking is often criticised.
    KISS

Quote Originally Posted by SapphireSteel View Post

The digs are in the same area as Amaral and his team identified.

This means that after 2 years of review and a further 2 years of Operation Grange, SY have ended up in the exact same place that Amaral did.

Digging in the field which is contiguous to the area the person identified as Gerry was seen carrying a child thought to be Madeleine.

If they find a burial site so close, it tends to rule out child thieves, off shore abductors, gypsies etc. Why abduct a child only to return it to the site of the abduction?

The dogs indicate that Madeleine died in 5a. Now the entire investigation has been basically replicated by SY, they appear to also think M never left PDL alive.

So - if M laid in 5a long enough to produce cadaver, as seems likely now, it means that she couldn't have been alive when Gerry saw her on his check at 9.15.

Cadaver scent takes hours to form, not minutes.

Here is an old study done by the Canine Specialized Search Team (CSST) regarding time and cadaver scent.

Cadaver Scent Project

Snip

TRIALS BEGUN: January 1997
    NUMBER OF DOGS USED: Five different dogs
    POST-MORTEM INTERVAL RANGE: From 70 minutes to 3 days
    NUMBER OF TRIALS COMPLETED: As of July 1997, total of 52 trials completed
    PRELIMINARY RESULTS: The shortest post-mortem interval for which we received a correct response was one hour and 25 minutes. However, the post-mortem interval for which we received a consistently correct response from all dogs involved is 2.5 - 3 hours.

http://www.csst.org/cadaver_scent.html

http://www.csst.org

Quote Originally Posted by Mica View Post
    Here is an old study done by the Canine Specialized Search Team (CSST) regarding time and cadaver scent.

Cadaver Scent Project

Snip

TRIALS BEGUN: January 1997
    NUMBER OF DOGS USED: Five different dogs
    POST-MORTEM INTERVAL RANGE: From 70 minutes to 3 days
    NUMBER OF TRIALS COMPLETED: As of July 1997, total of 52 trials completed
    PRELIMINARY RESULTS: The shortest post-mortem interval for which we received a correct response was one hour and 25 minutes. However, the post-mortem interval for which we received a consistently correct response from all dogs involved is 2.5 - 3 hours.

http://www.csst.org/cadaver_scent.html

http://www.csst.org
    Great link thanks
    Everything I post is my opinion only, can change at any time, and is not intended to replace fact.
    Critical Thinking is often criticised.
    KISS

Quote Originally Posted by SapphireSteel View Post

Smithman was heading away from the wasteland though, and it seems overlooked. The sites near the church instinctively seem more promising to me.

Quote Originally Posted by brit1981 View Post
    The British police have not announced digs, they have announced they have announced they hope to be actively working in portugal soon. The stories about the digs are unconfirmed by either police force and its not certain where the story originated.

Gerry's response was at the weekend before the dig story and was in response to a question about scotland yards investigation not a response to a question about a dig.

The three suspects the media refer to are three unnamed people suspected of breaking into holiday flats in the area. None of scotland yards suspects are believed to have died. The only two people named as suspects in the media who have died are hewlett and monteiro, but neither of these appear to be suspects in the eyes of scotland yard since they were dead or in hospital at the time of the last attack reported and neither matches the description. There has been nothing to suggest they were suspected of burglaries in the area.
    What report are you reading? I'm quoting from the BBC article and it clearly states this:

The disclosure comes amid reports Portuguese authorities have given permission for sites in Praia da Luz, where the toddler went missing, to be searched.

Met Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said he would be unable to provide details of the activity.

But he said he believed it would occur "in the coming weeks".
    Please provide a link stating Gerry 's comments were said before the dig? What is he referring to in this quote ? "Very Active " investigation. The BBC report

Gerry McCann, Madeleine's father, expressed his family's gratitude that the Metropolitan Police team was now moving on to a "very active" phase in its investigation.
    He said at the weekend: "They are chipping away and obviously there is new evidence so we are going to continue to hope that we will get a happy outcome"
    Please provide a link backing up your claim that they are looking at 3 unnamed suspects. The last reports were:
    Madeleine McCann suspect 'died in 2009'
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...t-died-in-2009

Madeleine McCann suspect who died in freak tractor accident ‘was a heroin addict who used to rob holiday apartments’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...partments.html

They're now looking for the guy wearing the red shirt with the circle.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/472...McCann-suspect
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

It appears NOT if they're talking to reporters, IMO
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sappeared.html

I'm glad something is happening but wouldn't it have been easier for the abductor just to dump her in the sea right beside the searched areas than start digging a grave right next to houses?

If she's found in one of those locations this was certainly a botched investigation.
    She won't be found there IMO. This is another attempt to muddy the waters. (No pun intended). It's sickening knowing this child may never get justice.
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

I started a thread about this; and the dig but don't know where it went. It has always been my opinion that "they" put her in one of the above ground pipes and then she was buried, went unnoticed. I think that this is a case of infanticide and I always have. GM's words expressions along with his wife's hv always been "wrong" IMO. I do not know where my link to the article or post went but I'm glad the thread is active again.
    Dont Be A Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by ~n/t~ View Post
    She won't be found there IMO. This is another attempt to muddy the waters. (No pun intended). It's sickening knowing this child may never get justice.
    Remember all the many photo opps that KM and GM did on the rocks right by the sea? Those always bothered me, that and they fact they continued to go back to that very spot.
    Dont Be A Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by ~n/t~ View Post
    What arrests? Who?

IIRC, there were 3 potential suspects. 2 are dead. What am I missing?
    hmm...depends if you go by the British media OR the official files. All the people the Pjs suspected are very much alive still. According to the British media there appears to be hundreds of suspects.

I think she was taken away from the resort, but the police have to check out every lead.

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast