Patsy's deft two-step

GuruJosh

Inactive
Reaction score
At the end of PMPT, it is said that Patsy claimed to have found the ransom note at the bottom of the staircase, laid out so that each of the 3 pages ran the length of a single step (leaving no room, or not much room, to get by without disturbing the note)

It is said that Patsy claimed to have "skipped" that step on her way down, so as not to disturb any of the sheets, and then turned around to read the first bit of the note, from the bottom of the stairwell.

This is consistent, it is said, with the fact that the note had not been stepped on, since there was no sign of any creases, nor footprints, shoeprints etc. - and the note was remarkably free from blemishes of any kind.

Apparently, had someone stepped on the note, even lightly, it would have left detectable traces of some kind - creasing, prints, etc.

So far so good... but it is said that when ST and the other Dets re-enacted Patsy's morning performance, they were unable to skip the step in question without falling over, or almost falling over.

The detectives apparently came to the conclusion that Patsy lied about stepping over the note, since to step over the note, i.e. skipping that step, would have been almost impossible.

Although not mentioned, I take it Smit disagrees with this conclusion.

Any thoughts on this? It seems like a fairly straightforward test to see whether or not Patsy was lying about where she "found" the note. Apologies if it has been debated and discussed before.

GuruJosh said:
The detectives apparently came to the conclusion that Patsy lied about stepping over the note, since to step over the note, i.e. skipping that step, would have been almost impossible.

Although not mentioned, I take it Smit disagrees with this conclusion.

Any thoughts on this? It seems like a fairly straightforward test to see whether or not Patsy was lying about where she "found" the note. Apologies if it has been debated and discussed before.

It is one of the most revealing aspects of the weakness of Patsy's story, that neither Smit nor Bill Kurtis nor David Williams nor Mike Bynum nor any Ramsey defender who has walked through the house for the cameras has put the act of "skipping a step on the spiral staircase" on video for everyone to see. At best, we have the dubious word of a certain infamous forum moderator that she did the skip, and had the process taped, but not a single frame from that event has been posted, ever. I think it must be a very embarrassing sight for everyone who ever tried, and so they say some mumbo-jumbo about having done it and then hope people will move quickly on to other case events.

It should also be taken into consideration that Patsy is not an especially tall woman with especially long legs. She once listed her height as 5' 6". Anyone taller that that, who has ever conducted this test, cannot in fairness say that if it was easy for them, it would have also easy for Patsy.

why_nutt said:
It should also be taken into consideration that Patsy is not an especially tall woman with especially long legs. She once listed her height as 5' 6". Anyone taller that that, who has ever conducted this test, cannot in fairness say that if it was easy for them, it would have also easy for Patsy.
Right - isn't Steve Thomas 6'1"? So if Steve can't skip the step, how could Patsy?

Had'nt heard this Guru. Where did this come out of?

I have always thought the Ramsey's were guilty and still do. The "evidence" that Smit discovered seems to me to be a pretty desperate attempt to be the one to find new evidence and be a hero. I have read of Smit's successes and GREATLY respect his track record. I just don't know how he and John Douglas can reconcile the actions of the Ramsey's after JonBenet's murder.

I don't have my own theory why but I do think it was Patsy that did the deed and John Ramsey helping her cover it up.

The detectives "leaked" to the press that the window was too small for a human to fit through. Weeks , months went by , we believed this.
I have skipped over a step or two to avoid stepping on the dog/cat ,my husband ,however, can not, he nudges them to move out of his way. He can jump the fence, I can't, maybe I'm more agile, and he's more powerful?
IMO there's no problem with Patsy hopping over a step or two.

duffy said:
Had'nt heard this Guru. Where did this come out of?
Around p 600 in PMPT. It lists 6 "critical" pieces of evidence that the detectives thought would swing the GJ one way or another (in fact both ST and Smit thought that GJ did not have enough evidence to indict, according to PMPT)

But then Schiller lists a couple MORE "critical things", and this "Patsy two-step" is one of them. Have a flick around the end of PMPT, you'll find the spot... I'm too lazy to fetch it and record the page # myself ;)

There's a LKL transcript where ST does say he thinks there should have been an indictment.

http://hellpainter.tripod.com/jbr/lkl_hunter_thomas_050400.doc

STEVE THOMAS, FORMER RAMSEY CASE INVESTIGATOR: Well, we'll all die of old age if we wait for Hunter's case to become ripe. Several have suggested this is a pretty simple and straightforward case, these kind of cases happen every week in this country and prosecutors put before juries circumstantial cases. And in this case , I don't think it should be a political decision, I think others would agree with me that this is for a jury to decide and not Mr. Hunter.

Also -

Patsy went up and down those stairs everyday. SHe would have a comfort level in navigating them that someone who had only done them a couple of times would not.

Why would PR lie about skipping a step? If she couldn't get past the RN without stepping on it or picking it up AND she's involved in this crime (which I gather the author of this thread implies), wouldn't she want to admit that she innocently touched it to get by so that she could explain away her fingerprints if they showed up? It just doesn't make sense to me.

to me it makes more sense to stoop and pick something up before your foot is about to land there then to skip an entire step and then turn back to look. if she is agile enough to skip a step, she is agile enough to bend over and pick something up off the stair that otherwise blocks her from using it.

Wellllllll, having been a legal secretary for a time in my illustrious career years, I have used a lot of legal pads.

THE steps on the circular staircase are pie shaped. Wide at the left side going up the steps and narrow on the right side, very very narrow, and the wideness gets narrow quickly. IF IF IF the three sheets of legal pad paper were laid side by side across one step THE EDGES OF THE PAPER WOULD HANG OUT INTO SPACE OR DROOP, OR WOULD BE DROOPED OVER THE NARROW PART OF THE STEP. My thought is that at least one or possibly two sheets would waffle loose and drop from the air activity of stepping over on to the next step down.

My thought to step over the spread out note on those quirky steps, a person would have to step over two steps and land on the third step from where they were standing above the note. Color me silly if you wish.

Here is the Ramsey link I keep on tap, that has ALL OF THE PICTURES TAKEN WITHIN THE HOME.

Scroll down about 2/3 of the page and you will see the circular staircase, click to enlarge and check out my thinking about the paper lopping over and being in the way of stepping over it. I do believe that WE are dealing with a huge lie about stepping over the note as PR explained it away.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_408302,00.html

Wonder if PR was wearing high heels when the police came, impossible to do with high heels imop.

I think that would be more likely if she were wearing a nightgown or long robe.

Voice of Reason said:
Why would PR lie about skipping a step? If she couldn't get past the RN without stepping on it or picking it up AND she's involved in this crime (which I gather the author of this thread implies), wouldn't she want to admit that she innocently touched it to get by so that she could explain away her fingerprints if they showed up? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Very good point, VoR.

OTOH, if the writer wore gloves, then he/should would know that his/her fingerprints weren't on the note, and hence, must emphatically stick to the story that he/she did not touch the note.

If Patsy or a family member wrote the note, I think it would have behooved them to have just stepped right on it, leaving a footprint. Maybe they didn't have time to think of all the possible angles, such as we?

Why lie, VoR? One reason might be if the pages weren't on the steps until she was ready for the 911 call, and she had to guess at what to say later.

Nehemiah said:
Very good point, VoR.

OTOH, if the writer wore gloves, then he/should would know that his/her fingerprints weren't on the note, and hence, must emphatically stick to the story that he/she did not touch the note.

If Patsy or a family member wrote the note, I think it would have behooved them to have just stepped right on it, leaving a footprint. Maybe they didn't have time to think of all the possible angles, such as we?
But she says she picked it up so there is no emphatically sticking to a story of not touching the note.
______

There is a rail on those stairs and I think if ST and others say they couldn't make it over skipping a step they should hurry to their doctors to find out why their joints are so immobile.

My theory is that Patsy waited for John to get into the shower before she began the staged kidnapping.

My belief is that after John entered the shower, Patsy hurriedly dressed, went downstairs and placed the note on the steps (if at all). My belief is that she had the note hidden in a drawer until morning.

When asked if she touched the note...she said no...when asked if her fingerprints should be on the note...she said maybe I did touch it.

After John read the note...he knew that it was Patsy who was the author.

My brain is still scrambled from reading and finishing PMPT. I JUST had this conversation with a friend. I was also puzzled that she said she stepped over the note and then turned around to read it. How awkward! AND....didn't I read (correct me please) that she then ran up the stairs to JBR's room to check on her. So.....she hopped over the note on the way down and then hopped over it on the way up or picked it up OR ran the other stairs to get to JBR. Then she "might" have touched the note???
I probably have this all backwards, but she doesn't ring true to me.

texaslb218 said:
My brain is still scrambled from reading and finishing PMPT. I JUST had this conversation with a friend. I was also puzzled that she said she stepped over the note and then turned around to read it. How awkward! AND....didn't I read (correct me please) that she then ran up the stairs to JBR's room to check on her. So.....she hopped over the note on the way down and then hopped over it on the way up or picked it up OR ran the other stairs to get to JBR. Then she "might" have touched the note???
I probably have this all backwards, but she doesn't ring true to me.

texaslb218,

It appears you are right. Patsy stepped over the note, got down to the floor level, then turned and read the note. She then, after reading the first paragraph, bound back upstairs to JonBenet's room. Since JonBenet's room is at the top of the spiral staircase, then those are the stairs she would have used.

TOM HANEY: "Did you step over that rung or -- "

PATSY RAMSY: "I don't think I stepped on it, because you know, you step on paper, it kind of does that. So I somehow got around it."

TOM HANEY: "So you left it in that --"

PATSY RAMSEY: "Yeah, I think I left it --"

TOM HANEY: "So you see the note, you read that portion, you're at the bottom of the stairs, then you start back up?"

PATSY RAMSEY: "I ran up."

IOW, Patsy is saying she stepped over the note on the way down, and since she didn't step on the note because it might cause her foot to slip, she had to have stepped over it again on the way back up.

BlueCrab

It sounds like they have practice in stepping over paper. The quote I have says:

"TT: Okay. Um, at that point in time, do you have to step on the note or did you step over it when you came down?
PR: I probably stepped over it.
TT: Okay.
PR: Cause we sometimes lay papers and stuff there to go up and. . .
TT: Um hum. (Inaudible)
PR: . . .if you step on it you might slip. . .
TT: Hurt yourself.
PR: . . .you know. I don’t, don’t think I stepped on it.
"

If they had a pat story about who did what and there was no change from one telling to another then I would think they were guilty.

Camper said:
Wonder if PR was wearing high heels when the police came, impossible to do with high heels imop.
i think that woman SLEEPS in her high heels ;)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back