Canada - LE seek help to identify arson suspect

dotr

Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...-suspect-released-by-toronto-police-1.2642441

Toronto LE seek help to identify suspect who set fire to multiple cars and a home with children inside.

"Fire crews received a call at around 3:30 a.m. ET to 24 Burnham Dr. in the Mount Pleasant Road and St. Clair Avenue area for a car fire.
A burned car at the scene of 20 Burnham

Police look through the charred remains of a burned Audi in front of 20 Burnham on May 9. (Michael Cole/CBC)

According to the Toronto Fire Services, when they arrived they found a car and house ablaze."

"TORONTO - Moore Park residents are shocked by the recklessness of an arsonist who set numerous cars and a house ablaze early Friday, leaving a trail of destruction in their midtown Toronto neighbourhood.

Megan Flynn, 30, was awakened in the wee hours by a phone call alerting her that her Ford Focus was among the 10 vehicles damaged in the area of Bayview and Moore Aves.

But she considers herself “lucky” — in part because only the backseat of her car was scorched, but more so because her vehicle was far from her apartment building.

“It’s completely surreal,” Flynn said. “It took a good couple of hours for it to sink in that someone was walking around this neighbourhood, which is fabulous, just randomly setting cars on fire.”

The flames in her car went out soon after the arsonist shut the door because of a lack of oxygen, so by the time she got to it there was just “smoke pouring out.”

A series of fires were sparked in vehicles and in at least one garage on nearby Burnham Rd., where the flames spread to a home.

“There were kids in that house, sleeping right above the garage,” Flynn said. “It’s just complete disregard for everything.”

Toronto Police Det.-Sgt. Dan Sabadics said it’s believed the arsonist set the home’s attached garage ablaze after torching several cars on Burnham.

“Luckily the residents got out,” he said."

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/police-obtain-footage-of-midtown-arsonist-suspect-1.1820837
bbm

" The video shows a person of interest walking past residents, wearing a dark backpack, dark pants, a shirt and a baseball cap. Police say he has a distinct walk, and is seen holding what appears to be a cup or bottle in his left hand.

Residents in the Bayview Avenue and Moore Avenue area were asked last week to check their vehicles for any signs of suspicion after 10 vehicles were damaged in seven separate fires in the area on May 9, causing an estimated $100,000 in damage"

bbm.

http://www.mytowncrier.ca/arsonist-torches-house-cars-on-midtown-street.html

“He just set my house on fire with my kids in it,” a shaken and crying Aurelie Bryce said about the still-at-large arsonist while surveying the house mid-morning. “I don’t know what comes next … I can’t tell my kids some crazy man set their house on fire.”

Police say the arsonist, whom they have yet to identify, went through the neighbourhood checking for unlocked cars, and then setting them on fire.

By late morning police were still receiving calls from residents finding their cars torched. At least 12 had been reported by noon.

Det.-Sgt. Dan Sabadics told reporters in a news conference at 53 Division the arsonist entered unlocked cars and lit paper or clothes on fire, without using an accelerant. Damage was estimated to be in the six-figure range.

Officers at the scene said they were provided with “good quality footage” of a potential suspect from surveillance camera at the Hasty Market at Bayview Avenue and Moore Avenue at about the time the arsons started.

The surveillance video... this person looks small to me, possibly quite young.
Walks funny.

The surveillance video... this person looks small to me, possibly quite young.
Walks funny.

is that video speeded up or is he/she really walking that fast? I can't get a handle on the gait because of the speed

is that video speeded up or is he/she really walking that fast? I can't get a handle on the gait because of the speed

It's sped up for sure, just counting the video length and the seconds on the video itself.

I seriously thought it was a kid, that was my first impression. Or a very short man. Since they seem to be saying it's a male.

UPDATE

“The video has been released in the hopes that somebody in the public might recognize this party,” Det. Sgt. Daniel Sabadics told reporters Wednesday afternoon. “It is someone with purpose but also dynamic, and energetic, so to me I am categorizing it as a younger person or maybe it is an older person with a lot of energy and purpose. It is unique (the walk) and hopefully someone will recognize who it might be because a lot of us can recognize different gaits and walks with people we might now.”

Read more: http://www.cp24.com/news/police-see...n-toronto-arson-spree-1.1820937#ixzz31iPjJZw2

Trying to figure out the walk in video, hard to see or say, but am reminded of someone wearing very heavy or wet shoes, that have to be sort of lifted to take the next step, if that makes any sense?

This happened very close to me, it was unsettling to say the least. This area is very upper middle class...and the variety store also broken into. I hope they can find this person! The 'walk' is strange, obviously in a hurry.... hopefully someone will recognize him.

I thought Det Sgt Sabadics did a great job at his press conference today - he was very forthcoming in what he knows and doesn't know - something today's savvy public wants from a savvy officer.

I anticipate he will get much cooperation in the days/weeks to come. Good job!

Further to dotr's take on the walk, it also looks to me like his pants/jeans are a bit too long, possibly wet and flared. Also, to me, it looks like his left knee is a bit awkward (like mine is on rainy days when the old arthritis kicks in).

I'm left-handed and I would carry a bottle/cup in my left hand. He's carrying the thing in his left hand.......

I thought Det Sgt Sabadics did a great job at his press conference today - he was very forthcoming in what he knows and doesn't know - something today's savvy public wants from a savvy officer.

I anticipate he will get much cooperation in the days/weeks to come. Good job!

ITA!

In this video with Det.Sgt Sabadics, he suggests poi might be between ages 20-30, he also reminds people in the GTA to lock car and garage doors and to report small fires of any sort.

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/05/14/p...nterest-following-spate-of-midtown-car-fires/

These arsons recently occurred in Vancouver, taking note here ..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...onist-sought-after-3-downtown-fires-1.2720029

" The first fire was set at about 4:30 p.m. PT at the Shenanigans Restaurant on Robson Street near Bute Street.
The second was set at about 5:30 p.m. at a Starbucks on Davie Street near Thurlow Street.
The third was started around 7:30 p.m. at the Subway on Mainland Street near Nelson Street.

Nobody was injured in the fires and damage was minimal.

Police say the description of the suspect in all three cases is the same:

White.
Mid- to late-20s.
Medium build.
Short, light-brown hair.
Wearing a brown hooded sweatshirt."

More fires, posting here because just how many arsonists can there be in one city?!
Aug 11, 2014 08:59:12 AM

http://www.680news.com/2014/08/11/p...k-fire-connected-to-suspected-weekend-arsons/

"Toronto police are investigating whether an early-morning fire inside an auto body shop compound in North York is related to suspicious fires over the weekend, believed to be the work of an arsonist.

The two-alarm fire broke out at Quality Used Cars Wholesale at 30 Toro Rd., near Keele Street and Finch Avenue West, at around 2:30 a.m. on Monday. At least eight vehicles were damaged.

Toronto police told 680News the fire is suspicious and believe it was intentionally set."

AND..

Aug 10, 2014 09:59:36 AM

http://www.680news.com/2014/08/10/police-suspect-arson-in-north-york-car-fires/

"Police believe several car fires in North York early Sunday morning were deliberately set.

Police said the fires happened before 4 a.m. near Jane Street and Wilson Avenue. Some of the vehicles were in the owners’ driveways.

“The truck’s a write off,” victim Ryan Colbourne told CityNews as he showed off the extensive damage to the vehicle. “The fire marshal said they couldn’t determine how it started.”

Colbourne said the flames from the blaze were as high as the roof of his home and the door to the vehicle was open, leaving him to believe the fire was started in the cabin of the truck."

"Louis, whose neighbour’s pickup truck was torched, said he is worried for his family’s safety.

“I got two kids. My son’s room is in the front, so it is nerve-racking,” he said.

Surveillance video from one of the homes shows someone approaching a vehicle and then a couple minutes later flames erupt. Then, one of the homeowners comes out to try to put out the blaze with a fire extinguisher.

So far, there is no description of a suspect".
bbm

Officers are asking residents to be vigilant in the early morning and to report any suspicious behaviour.
http://www.citynews.ca/2014/08/11/p...k-fire-connected-to-suspected-weekend-arsons/

http://osbie.on.ca/help/pdf/10-P7721-Arson-Threat.pdf

"What Motivates Arsonists?
Arsonists strike for a variety of
reasons: to conceal crimes; because
they are acting out of jealousy,
political activism, revenge or spite;
or simply for thrills and vandalism.
Unhappy or disgruntled former employees are particularly dangerous."
.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

http://www.firefocus.net/Profiling.htm
"The “typical” arsonist

"Arsonists compared to each other

The differences between arsonists are interesting. For instance, from the relatively few studies that have been published comparing male and female firesetting behaviour, it appears that while female firesetters do not differ significantly from male firesetters across a broad range of psychosocial bbmcharacteristics, gender differences are evident in criminal offence history and the reason for firesetting

Arsonists compared to other offenders

In terms of their demographic profile arsonists are typical of offenders generally. Where arsonists differentiate themselves from other offenders is mainly in the type of anti-social behaviour they undertake. For example, in their review of the relevant literature Vreeland and Levin (1980) found that firesetters tend to have a history of mainly property related crime rather than violent offences. Similarly, Tennent, McQuaid, Loughnane, and Hands (1971) reported that arsonists were more likely to have prior convictions for property damage and prostitution than other offenders in their sample were. Also, differences between arsonists and other offender groups have been noted in terms of certain personality characteristics and level of psychiatric disturbance. When compared with other offenders, arsonists frequently report lower levels of self-esteem, assertiveness, and communication skills, while evidencing higher sensitivity to insult and intolerance of frustration and tension. Further, many arsonists have a diagnosis of one or more serious psychiatric conditions, predominantly covering schizophrenia, personality disorder or mental retardation".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back