GUILTY OH - Barb Williams for child abuse, Hancock County, 2014

noZme

Reaction score
Riverdale Schools in Hancock County Ohio:

Six year-old Ian Nelson is shown on video as he walks down the hall & enters the restroom. When he comes out a short time later, his teacher, Barb Williams, confronts him. She grabs him and picks him up against the wall. Seconds later, she grabs him by the face and then by the shirt. His head flops back as she picks him up off the floor.

The teacher was suspended for 10 days which essentially ends her school year now. The child's parents are furious. See the video. Should the teacher have been fired? Can snatching a kid around like that be justified? ( I considered posting this story on the bullying thread.)

Your thoughts?

http://www.walb.com/story/25509189/...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

No way was it justified for the teacher to treat a 6 year old kindergartener like that! That's just plain crazy! What was she mad at the boy for? She should lose her job and never be able to teach children again. I hope that poor scared boy doesn't end up hating school.

:anguish: Man, every day I realize just how lucky we are to be able to homeschool.

This woman should not be in charge of a room full of children. She clearly feels the need to use force on a boy a fraction of her size. The child was no showing any form of aggression and no need to be restrained, let alone man handled. She should be terminated immediately!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am disgusted by this! And, I want to know what happened when she pulled him back around the corner to the bathroom, out of camera range.

She should be fired and if that was my child I don't know that I could ever ever restrain myself.

She should be fired and charged with assault.

O.O

this woman should never work around children. ever.

Yeah. Let's say this was the brattiest kid ever and he just insulted her mother. He's still a quarter of her size. He's still under her protection. He's still posing absolutely no physical threat. Even if he'd been bolting for the nearest superhighway she would only have had to grab him by the arm to stop him. This is inexcusable.

I agree, assault charges are in order. She needs a good long anger-management course, and a job that doesn't involve working with young children.

If that's what she got caught doing, what else has she done? I'll give you good odds she's essentially taught her entire class that beating people up and throwing them around is a great way to show authority. Kids that age are young enough to still listen to their teachers, and actions speak much louder than words.

I thought the same thing! Why did she take him back into the bathroom?! What did this horrible woman do to him! This is insane, she obviously has no place working with children.
I am disgusted by this! And, I want to know what happened when she pulled him back around the corner to the bathroom, out of camera range.

She needs to be fired and not allowed to teach children again. She looks like a bully, no doubt about it. I was a public school teacher for many years and teachers like this give the profession a bad name (as if there wasn't enough scandal with all of the teachers sleeping with kids). What the hell is wrong with teachers these days?!?!

Somewhat O/T but as a teacher, I would be extremely happy to have a video cam in my class. With so many stories about bad teachers around, I would welcome a video cam in my class because I have nothing to hide and I would feel safer having it there.

As a teacher, I always feared having a student lie about me and accuse me of something that I did not do. I worked in a rough area and many children had parents who refused to believe their child ever misbehaved. Having video cams in the class will protect teachers and students and will capture the wrongdoers in the act.

OMG! If that was my child, I'd have this sorry excuse for a teacher charged with assault and child abuse. Then I'd likely meet her in the parking lot. This makes me furious.

Hate to say it, but this isn't uncommon. What's unusual is that the teacher was actually caught. It does happen much more in special ed classrooms than in normal ones, but typical kids aren't immune to rough handling from teachers, and that just covers the physical stuff. My school's high-school volleyball coach used to insult the team so much she made them cry. And we're not talking some high-power big-city team, either. We were a small school, twenty to thirty students total, most with special needs. I don't remember our team ever winning a game; most of us were in it because we needed a PE class. Heck, I'm dyspraxic (i.e., diagnosably clumsy with bad reaction time) and I was on the team--mostly on the bench, but I was on it.

Trust me, this isn't unusual. Those of you feeling outrage? Think: This is probably happening in your community, and probably to the most vulnerable kids, some of whom may not even understand that what's happening to them is not okay.

I don't know how to change that. I don't know how much good video cameras would do; they can't cover everything. Can it be changed? I hope... I just don't know how, other than kicking out any teachers who behave in this sort of way.

Somewhat O/T but as a teacher, I would be extremely happy to have a video cam in my class. With so many stories about bad teachers around, I would welcome a video cam in my class because I have nothing to hide and I would feel safer having it there.
A friend of mine, training for early childhood education, would videotape the lessons she taught the kids during her training and review them later. She says it was a little odd watching herself, but once she got used to it, she found a lot of things to improve. Maybe you actually could have a camera, to monitor your teaching and improve your methods. But you'd probably have to get the kids' parents to sign an OK for it.

I totally agree, chaotic. It seems like most of the public is unaware of what things look like if they don't get to watch them on video.

I don't know what precipitated this incident, but that's how kids are dealt with in my experience who do things like purposely push other kids off play equipment, or continuously leave the classroom while the teacher is ordering them not to leave the classroom, or throw someone's lunch in the toilet, etc. This is how they're dealt with - and I honestly think that's not a bad way to deal with a kid in serious discipline cases like the above.

If this was for no reason whatsoever, I agree that the teacher should be let go.

It seems odd that you can't learn the circumstances.

Here's the actual video. When you watch it, this is certainly in line with what a parent can legally do to their own child for discipline. Again, for some reason, what precipitated this is unclear. What if the child threw someone's watch down the commode? What is the child is CONTINUOUSLY missing, without permission, and she is sick to death of having to hunt him down and retrieve him? I think everyone on this board was enraged that the school didn't know where Kyron was when he went missing - what if this boy does that same thing and is putting himself at risk by continuing to escape supervision? What if what if. We don't know.

We can't judge standards of how children are treated by adults who are legally supervising them (a teacher is in loco parentis, in place of parents during the school day) and imagine those standards for adult to adult interaction. For example, there is absolutely no way an adult could tell another adult to go sit in their chair and be quiet. Or send them to bed without dinner. Or force them to stand in a corner for 15 minutes for being disrespectful. So the dad's idea that he would be charged with assault if he did that to the teacher -yes, he would. Because he's not in charge of the teacher and responsible for her safety.

It's a mystery to me why they won't say the teacher's side of it, except schools are bound to confidentiality. Odd that the parents won't tell.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ra-grabbing-6-year-old-face-article-1.1792044

Here's another article. Williams has hired a lawyer. The school district stands by their decision for the 10 day suspension. Ian's dad acknowledges the teacher and Ian were "not getting along well". Hmm. The news station has received emails in support of the teacher, that she's a well-liked Kindergarten teacher.

I'm a little put off by the dad's assertion that they were "not getting along well". That's kind of an odd statement - it's not up to the teacher to "get along well" with the students, but rather, for the students to behave. "Getting along well" is a term I would use for classmates and peers.

http://www.toledonewsnow.com/story/...res-lawyer-after-caught-on-video-grabbing-boy

NO matter what the school decided to do, I would be pressing charges for assault. Somehow we need to make it clear: we entrust our most precious lives to teachers five days a week for at least six hours a day. With that trust comes responsibility. If a teacher is unable to contain themselves, then they shouldn't be a teacher in the first place.

ETA: Teachers have training and rules for dealing with difficult/out of control children. I better not ever hear of a teacher putting angry/disciplinary hands anywhere on my children. Take them to the Principal and call the parent(s).

In reality, teachers HAVE to put their hands on kindergartners. They have to. Our school tried telling teachers they couldn't touch the children and it was horrible. Children that age need to be hugged, and restrained. A teacher who can't grab the arm of a child and get right in their face and tell them they're in trouble is a teacher with fewer tools to deal with children who need more guidance. Some children (most children, actually, don't need that). But some children within the classroom will not behave if not physically forced to.

Again, I don't know. With my experience with our school district, there are some kindergartners who are simply not told at home they have to obey the teacher. Just from listening to the dad's comment, I suspect this is one of those cases. He's not been taught respect for rightful authority.

This has been going on since November with this child, disguised. It seems to me that the parents have been called repeatedly and the teacher still didn't get results. I really don't sense, at all, that this is a case of a compliant child and a crazy out of control teacher.

The child is 6 years old - she forcibly yanked him upwards, pushed him against the wall and then grabbed his face. IMO - She certainly needs a lawyer, as this will cost her a lot more than her reputation.

I could believe that, for whatever reason, she got mad at this six year old child, and this was the way she managed her anger. For anyone who thinks she is not in the wrong and such is the life in a teacher's world - what do you think this teacher taught this six year old in that moment?

Here is the full quote from the posted article on the parent emails;
http://www.toledonewsnow.com/story/...res-lawyer-after-caught-on-video-grabbing-boy

"Parents on the school campus and around Mount Blanchard said Williams was a well-liked teacher. Others sent us emails supporting her, but they didn't outweigh the ones calling for her to be fired."

Thank goodness for security cameras.

The child is 6 years old - she forcibly yanked him upwards, pushed him against the wall and then grabbed his face. IMO - She certainly needs a lawyer, as this will cost her a lot more than her reputation.

I could believe that, for whatever reason, she got mad at this six year old child, and this was the way she managed her anger. For anyone who thinks she is not in the wrong and such is the life in a teacher's world - what do you think this teacher taught this six year old in that moment?

"Parents on the school campus and around Mount Blanchard said Williams was a well-liked teacher. Others sent us emails supporting her, but they didn't outweigh the ones calling for her to be fired."

Well, I don't think this was an appropriate response. I didn't mean to imply that. I just think it would be good to have the full story, and figure out what the behavior difficulties were, and what had been unsuccessfully tried in the past, and figure out how to accomplish the discipline that up to now hadn't been achieved.

We still live in a world where corporal punishment is inflicted with heavy wooden paddles in schools against children. I don't see how in the world this teacher could be convicted of assault when others leave big deep black and blue bruises on children at the same time.

Who in the blue heck would support her for this?! If she has done this once Odds are she has done it before. Thank goodness for cameras!!!

I once had a dentist tell me that if I did not stop crying he would jam his tools down my throat. I never told my mom until years later. I was petrified of him.

I bet she has done this before and scared the bejeebers out of kids so they never said anything.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.
Back