GUILTY FL - Calyx, 16, & Beau Schenecker, 13, shot to death, Tampa, 27 Jan 2011 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prosecution experts: Julie Schenecker understood killing her kids was wrong

Retained by the prosecution, they trooped into the courtroom one after the other to refute testimony from the three experts hired by defense attorneys. Just as those experts were certain that Schenecker was having a psychotic episode on Jan. 27, 2011, when she killed her children, this set was equally assured that she was in control of her actions.

Closing arguments are expected to begin this morning and the case is expected to go to jurors shortly thereafter.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...ense-in-julie-schenecker-murder-trial/2179682

images

Good morning and please continue here.

goodmorning! I have been busy in RL lately but have read every single post by you wonderful people. THANK YOU FOR THE UPDATES.

If I were on the jury I would find her guilty. No insanity for my vote. Based on the notes, the calendar, and a bunch more she clearly planned this. I was surprised that they didn't stress the one note where she mentioned that C would maybe go to heaven! (vs herself and her son for sure going to heaven).

This woman was MI but she was also very angry imhoo and planned this out.

That being said the entire thing is just so tragic. :-(

Richard Hornsby

Penalties for First Degree Murder

The crime of First Degree Murder is designated a Capital Offense and only has two possible sentences:

Death, or
Life without the possibility of parole.
Prosecutorial Waiver of the Death Penalty

The State has the option to waive the death penalty as a sentencing option and elect to seek just Life in prison.

In those cases in which they waive the death penalty as a sentencing option, a person convicted of First Degree Murder will be sentenced to life in prison without any possibility of parole upon conviction.

http://www.richardhornsby.com/crimes/homicide/first-degree-murder.html

Penalties for Second Degree Murder

The crime of Second Degree Murder is classified as a First Degree Felony and is assigned a Level 10 offense severity ranking under Florida's Criminal Punishment Code.

If convicted of Second Degree Murder, a judge is required to impose a minimum prison sentence of 16¾ years in prison and can impose any additional combination of the following penalties:

Up to Life in prison.
Up to Life on probation.
Up to $10,000 in fines.
10-20-Life

Under Florida's 10-20-Life law, a person who uses a Firearm to commit Second Degree Murder must be sentenced to a minimum-mandatory prison sentence of 25 years. [1]

http://www.richardhornsby.com/crimes/homicide/second-degree-murder.html

goodmorning! I have been busy in RL lately but have read every single post by you wonderful people. THANK YOU FOR THE UPDATES.

If I were on the jury I would find her guilty. No insanity for my vote. Based on the notes, the calendar, and a bunch more she clearly planned this. I was surprised that they didn't stress the one note where she mentioned that C would maybe go to heaven! (vs herself and her son for sure going to heaven).

My thoughts too. Hi Nurse! :seeya:

Good Morning Everyone!:seeya:

My thoughts and prayers are with Beau and Caylx today. May justice be done.

I wish that Florida had enacted the same laws that my own state of Georgia has enacted.

During the Hemy Neuman murder trial he was found Guilty but by reasons of insanity. No longer are these kind of defendants able to get out one day. Their sentences are consistent with the offenses they have committed. HM received LWOP.

He will remain in prison for the rest of his life serving out his punishment for planning and executing the murder of Rusty Sniederman. However throughout his life he will be seen and cared for by mental health professionals and will be given medication to make sure his mental condition remains stable.

This way it ensures that the defendant is never allowed back out in society where they could harm another person. His jury also believed he certainly knew right from wrong even though they felt he suffered from mental illness and that is why he was sentenced to LWOP.

So it serves two purposes. Punishment and mental health support while incarcerated.

There have been cases where the defendant was able to fool the doctors and fooled jurors too and they were let out rather quickly after being found NG by the reason of Insanity. Some even went on to commit other violent crimes ..even murder.

I have looked at this case without an emotional attachment. Imo, the defense didn't prove she was mentally ill at the time she did these crimes and that she did not know right from wrong. I would have to vote Guilty of first degree murder.

The 2nd degree and even manslaughter charge is a farce and would be a slap in the face to the two victims. This was certainly no crime of passion. This is one of the coldest long drawn out premeditated homicides I have seen recently.

I have discounted all the evidence that I considered just filler and really had no relevancy. I have looked at the evidence that was presented 5 days prior to JS carrying out these homicides and through when she was arrested and interviewed.

I have no doubt in my mind she absolutely knew what she was doing and she certainly knew it was wrong. So whatever the verdict is I will accept it as I do any other although my opinion of what the verdict is or should be.......will remain the same. That is the great thing about this country. None of the public has to agree with the verdict rendered by 12 people in any case.:)

But this is a Florida jury and who in the heck knows how this will all end. Why there seems to be so many quirky people on juries there has always fascinated me.

IMO

IMO, there was a lot of evidence presented by the defense that had no relevancy, and we heard it over and over again. Based on the definition of legal insanity in Florida law, I'd have to find her guilty too. Dr. Stein's testimony made that especially clear, but all of the relevant evidence pointed in that direction.

It's a terrible situation, and I just hope that whatever the jury decides, JS will remain under the care of mental health professionals and away from the general population.

Nice chatting with everyone. :seeya:

According to the ABC streaming link it's a 9:45 start this morning.

Ive been reading along and havent posted much, but I had to say I agree with every word of this post!

She planned this. Yes, she may have MI, but she thought this out and planned it. Her paranioa got ahold of her and she took off with it.

Very sad and tragic, but also premeditated IMHO.

bringing this forward:

775.027 Insanity defense.—
(1) AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSE.—All persons are presumed to be sane. It is an affirmative defense to a criminal prosecution that, at the time of the commission of the acts constituting the offense, the defendant was insane. Insanity is established when:
(a) The defendant had a mental infirmity, disease, or defect; and
(b) Because of this condition, the defendant:
1. Did not know what he or she was doing or its consequences; or
2. Although the defendant knew what he or she was doing and its consequences, the defendant did not know that what he or she was doing was wrong.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/775.027

trying to find list of possible charges so we can start a poll

Got caught up this morning on the sessions I missed. Ready for jury instruction. Rainy day in the Sunshine State...

I agree with so many who have posted today. I think she was sane..according to the law...just wish there could be a middle ground such as guilty but insane..she needs lots of care.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The last forensic psychiatrist that testified for the State (the cute lady with the glasses) was, in my opinion, devastating to JS's case. She seems very familiar with the case and all its players and backs up all her conclusions with multiple examples.

So if MI didn't cause JS to kill her children what are we left with? Was it just evil and anger that made her do it? We hear cases of husbands committing suicide after killing their families and we generally say "he was just evil. If he wanted to kill himself fine, but why did he have to kill the family"?

The last forensic psychiatrist that testified for the State (the cute lady with the glasses) was, in my opinion, devastating to JS's case. She seems very familiar with the case and all its players and backs up all her conclusions with multiple examples.

So if MI didn't cause JS to kill her children what are we left with? Was it just evil and anger that made her do it? We hear cases of husbands committing suicide after killing their families and we generally say "he was just evil. If he wanted to kill himself fine, but why did he have to kill the family"?

I am one of the ones who have always believed mothers murder their children for the same reasons that fathers do. Although that is a minority opinion held.:) Mothers tend to be given excuses when the father is not.

I believe she killed her children because deep down she had no attachment or love for them. They had become 'mouthy' burdens she didn't want to carry. She felt they loved their father more than they loved her. She also wanted to hurt Parker in the worst way possible..........and did.

Really the vast majority of women that murder their children aren't MI. Only 2-4% of the time are they mentally insane. Of course that defense isn't even used if the murderer happens to be the father.

It is a myth that has long been told that a mother must be insane to kill her own children when that absolutely isn't the case.

IMO

here they are

2 counts of first degree murder with lesser included of Man2 and manslaughter

and

Possession of a firearm causing death
Voluntary Intoxication
Felony Firearm

they will have to decided on each murder plus the three above.

I agree with so many who have posted today. I think she was sane..according to the law...just wish there could be a middle ground such as guilty but insane..she needs lots of care.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Indeed--I just don't want her ever out again. Whatever works to keep her under some sort of routine care--outside she wouldn't be accountable. jmo :fence: I do feel she is guilty--premeditated and mentally ill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah