Atlantic Hurricane Season 2014

raine1212

Former Member
Reaction score
The season starts June 1, looks to be a mild one per forecasters, but we will watch and see what Mother Nature decides

2014 Hurricane names.

Arthur
Bertha
Cristobal
Dolly
Edouard
Fay
Gonzalo
Hanna
Isaias
Josephine
Kyle
Laura
Marco
Nana
Omar
Paulette
Rene
Sally
Teddy
Vicky
Wilfred

There are no Q, U, X, Y or Z names.

Why not Queenie, Ulysses, Xenobia or Zilla or something similar?

Quinta? Uma? Zelda?

Female hurricanes deadlier than male cyclones

Researchers examine more than six decades of death rates from U.S. hurricanes

Author: By Holly Yan CNN

Published On: Jun 03 2014 03:29:16 AM EDT Updated On: Jun 03 2014 07:01:46 AM EDT

(CNN) -
Apparently sexism isn't just a social problem -- if you're in the path of a hurricane, gender bias might actually kill you.

A study suggests people prepare differently for hurricanes depending on whether the storm has a male or female name.

"Feminine-named hurricanes (vs. masculine-named hurricanes) cause significantly more deaths, apparently because they lead to a lower perceived risk and consequently less preparedness," a team of researchers wrote in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

In other words, a hurricane named "Priscilla" might not make people flee like a hurricane named "Bruno" would.

The study analyzed death rates from U.S. hurricanes from 1950 to 2012...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/female-hurricanes-deadlier-than-male-cyclones-study-says/26300954

Female hurricanes deadlier than male cyclones

Researchers examine more than six decades of death rates from U.S. hurricanes

Author: By Holly Yan CNN

Published On: Jun 03 2014 03:29:16 AM EDT Updated On: Jun 03 2014 07:01:46 AM EDT

(CNN) -
Apparently sexism isn't just a social problem -- if you're in the path of a hurricane, gender bias might actually kill you.

A study suggests people prepare differently for hurricanes depending on whether the storm has a male or female name.

"Feminine-named hurricanes (vs. masculine-named hurricanes) cause significantly more deaths, apparently because they lead to a lower perceived risk and consequently less preparedness," a team of researchers wrote in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

In other words, a hurricane named "Priscilla" might not make people flee like a hurricane named "Bruno" would.

The study analyzed death rates from U.S. hurricanes from 1950 to 2012...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/female-hurricanes-deadlier-than-male-cyclones-study-says/26300954

I know hurricane Ivan made me think of 'Ivan The Terrible', and it was. A Bruno will scare me more than a Priscilla.

Yet a hurricane Scarlett, has a slightly higher alarm rating for me than a Teddy or Bobby.

Maybe we need to add another word or so to the names to raise the alarm.

A hurricane Mary can become a Bloody Mary, or a hurricane Jack can become a Jack the Ripper if they threaten land and people.

That will raise hurricane awareness.

Excellent waltzingmatilda! Pier cam. The waves looked ferocious.

It is an angry sea out there today! We've had some intense squalls and our condo sways in the wind but so far so good!:) :please:

I'm grateful to have access to the Internet and radar - otherwise I'd have no indication that a hurricane's on its way. I live on the Outer Banks and it's perfectly peaceful outside right now... not what I'd expect when a Cat 2 hurricane is supposed to hit us overnight! The part I live on has not been evacuated and I'm far enough from both the ocean and sound that I'm not terribly worried. This is my first hurricane since moving here, though, so I'm more curious than nervous at this point.

I'm grateful to have access to the Internet and radar - otherwise I'd have no indication that a hurricane's on its way. I live on the Outer Banks and it's perfectly peaceful outside right now... not what I'd expect when a Cat 2 hurricane is supposed to hit us overnight! The part I live on has not been evacuated and I'm far enough from both the ocean and sound that I'm not terribly worried. This is my first hurricane since moving here, though, so I'm more curious than nervous at this point.

Hi Hucklepie,

All that's about to change for you so are you prepared for your electric to go out?

Filled the tub with water?

Got flashlights?

Know where your nearest shelter is?

Are you in a home or apt. building?

Just curious and keep in contact here to let people know you're safe.

It is an angry sea out there today! We've had some intense squalls and our condo sways in the wind but so far so good!:) :please:

Hoping for the best for you waltingmatilda! Stay safe my friend. Really glad Arthur isn't a higher rated hurricane.

Hi Hucklepie,

All that's about to change for you so are you prepared for your electric to go out?

Filled the tub with water?

Got flashlights?

Know where your nearest shelter is?

Are you in a home or apt. building?

Just curious and keep in contact here to let people know you're safe.
I'm prepared for power to go out, but so far, so good. We're on the other side of the eye of the hurricane now and it's pretty messy outside. I live on the second floor of an apartment building so no worries about flooding to my home. Two last-resort shelters were opened just before dark last night - the closest is a middle school less than a mile from me and I can see lots of cars in their parking lot right now. I was able to sleep for a few hours but the wind woke me up around 5. I'm listening to the local police/radio scanner and there are lots of flooding reports along with some fire reports.
edit: eeeek. and a report now of a woman in labor, in a car on a flooding road. Hope the EMTs are able to get to her safely.

Know you've been through it, surfs up! I miss it.

Haha! Wish you were here Peliman!

Hoping for the best for you waltingmatilda! Stay safe my friend. Really glad Arthur isn't a higher rated hurricane.

Thanks Show Me! We were worried because it was headed straight towards Cape Fear but Arthur made the turn to the NE when the eye was 25 miles out. Phew that was close. It is beautiful here this morning!

Here's a cool video from Frying Pan Tower which is located 30 miles out in the middle of the Atlantic. How would you like experience a Hurricane out there? The Govmt. auctioned it off and a man bought it for 80,000 bucks (IIRC) and has turned it into a bed and breakfast. Cool history of the tower in the last link of the accompanied text.

http://www.wect.com/story/25936955/video-video-of-hurricane-from-lighthouse-30-miles-offshore

Happy July 4th everybody!!!

I'm prepared for power to go out, but so far, so good. We're on the other side of the eye of the hurricane now and it's pretty messy outside. I live on the second floor of an apartment building so no worries about flooding to my home. Two last-resort shelters were opened just before dark last night - the closest is a middle school less than a mile from me and I can see lots of cars in their parking lot right now. I was able to sleep for a few hours but the wind woke me up around 5. I'm listening to the local police/radio scanner and there are lots of flooding reports along with some fire reports.
edit: eeeek. and a report now of a woman in labor, in a car on a flooding road. Hope the EMTs are able to get to her safely.

Hang in the Hucklepie! The eye has passed and is off the coast of VA but you are still getting rain bands from the back side. Hopefully it will be over soon. Linemen from New Hanover County are headed to the OBX as I type. I sure hope the lady and her baby are ok!

Hang in the Hucklepie! The eye has passed and is off the coast of VA but you are still getting rain bands from the back side. Hopefully it will be over soon. Linemen from New Hanover County are headed to the OBX as I type. I sure hope the lady and her baby are ok!
All is well! I went to bed around 8:30 this morning when the wind began to die down and it was mostly sunny by the time I woke up at noon. The ocean was rough when I went to the beach this evening and it's cooler tonight than it has been, but otherwise you'd have no idea that we were battening down the hatches 24 hours ago for a Cat 2 hurricane!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv
Back