1126 users online (228 members and 898 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

Question WA - Beverly Goheen, 33, Vancouver, 29 April 2014

Beverly Goheen

Video link - http://up.anv.bz/latest/anvload.html...oiMjc2NzA3In0=

Relatives desperate to find missing Wash. woman -

The family of 33-year-old Beverly Goheen said the last trace of her was a seven minute phone call that Goheen placed prior to being allowed to leave Legacy Salmon Creek Hospital in Vancouver in the early morning hours of April 29. Now, the family has started handing out flyers not only in the Salmon Creek area but also anywhere from downtown Vancouver to SW 3rd Avenue and West Burnside Street in downtown Portland.
    According to relatives, Goheen disappeared on her son’s fourth birthday. They also said she has been unemployed and may have been feeling bad about it. However, her family said Goheen has simply gone silent – no cell phone calls or no social media entries – and could be in danger.
    http://koin.com/2014/05/18/relatives...ng-wash-woman/
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

Mysterious, but seemingly very little info....
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

Has anyone said why she was at the hospital?

“Some of the things that sound like they’ve been going on in her life – that could be a possibility, that she’s just gotten away from her family and is just off the grid, hanging out with people who are not good for her and generally people who are hard to find,” said Shane Nelson, Goheen’s brother.
    http://koin.com/2014/05/18/relatives...ng-wash-woman/

Where are you Bev? Here's to your safe return home. I hope you receive the attention that you and so many others deserve. We care....

I was wondering if her hospitalization might be more psychologically based than something medical, but then seeing what clearly seems to be a post from her just the day before she goes missing (4/28) makes me lean away from that. It seems like most places don't let you have your phone (or internet access, for that matter) in situations like that.

Odd that her phone 'happened' to disappear a day prior to her going missing. The very thing that could help locate her being gone as well.

Also, I'm curious if there is a reason they waited so long to report her missing and begin putting up posters and getting things out into the media?

Has she done this before, thus less concern? But even if so, wouldn't missing her son's birthday be a good indicator that things might really be wrong?

And given that such time had elapsed, why raise a flag now when it wasn't done earlier?

There is a website up now - "Finding Beverly"
    http://findingbev.com/

Questions about Beverly

Thank you everyone for looking at this case. I especially want to thank you for asking the critical and difficult questions - these are the questions that really do help define and identify what is actually happening. Please continue to ask.

My name is Aaron. I am Beverly's cousin. I would only see Beverly at family gatherings, but I kept up with her via Facebook.

I will answer any questions you may have to the best of my ability.

"I'm curious if there is a reason they waited so long to report her missing and begin putting up posters and getting things out into the media?" - TravelingBug

Beverly's immediate family reported that she was missing on May 2, 2014 - the last time that she was seen was on April 29, 2014. There was/is some kind of waiting period (I believe 48 hours) that slowed down the initial report because Beverly is an adult.

The extended family (those living outside of the area) were not aware that Beverly was missing until May 17, 2014. It was at this time that the extended family provided organization to the search.

The police seem to have been dragging their feet on assigning this case to a detective. That is my observation only, I am not sure what they were doing behind the scenes. A Battle Ground PD detective started on the case on May 19, 2014 and after some initial work notified the Clark County Sheriff. The Clark County Sheriff has requested all information on the case and will be taking over the investigation. I believe that this is a positive step, I feel that they may have more resources available to utilize (manpower, finances, etc...).

"Has she done this before, thus less concern?" - TravelBug

Beverly has been in arguments with her immediate family in the past. During these times, Beverly would not have any contact with them. Typically this would last 5-7 days. Beverly always maintained contact in the past with other family and her friends - but always, always she would call her son. Since Beverly went missing, she has not tried to: check email, check voicemail, use Facebook, use any other methods that could be tracked in anyway.

"I was wondering if her hospitalization might be more psychologically based than something medical, but then seeing what clearly seems to be a post from her just the day before she goes missing (4/28) makes me lean away from that." - TravelBug

Beverly was in the Emergency Department of Legacy Salmon Creek do to alcohol intoxication. Beverly was an alcoholic and struggling over the past few months.

"Odd that her phone 'happened' to disappear a day prior to her going missing. The very thing that could help locate her being gone as well." - TravelBug

Beverly had her phone while she was in the Emergency Department on April 28/29, 2014. She was discharged around 1 - 2 am on April 29, 2014. We have the phone records. I can only assume that she had misplaced her phone previously and mentioned it on Facebook. The family can say with 100% certainty that Beverly left the Emergency Department with her phone.

"“Some of the things that sound like they’ve been going on in her life – that could be a possibility, that she’s just gotten away from her family and is just off the grid, hanging out with people who are not good for her and generally people who are hard to find,” said Shane Nelson, Goheen’s brother." - KDub

This interview had many questions before and after this part, but the answers were edited. I do not believe that the editing was meant to alter the meaning of the answers, but the ultimate effect did. Shane went on to say that Beverly had no means or resources at her disposal that she could use (like cash) that wouldn't leave a trail. All of the other news agencies will not cover this story until the police make an official comment, which has not been done at this point.

Some other points that need to be explored:

The last person she had contact with (via cell phone records) was arrested on May 13, 2014 - reasons are not known at this point - possibly due to parole violations(s). The police have not searched this persons phone yet, even though it is in their custody while he is in jail.

The story this person told the detective does not match the timeline or conditions/information the family has put together.

Please ask more questions, we have never had to deal with this kind of situation before. The questions really help us maintain perspective and helps prevent us from spending too much time where it will do little good.

Quote Originally Posted by aa.nelson View Post

Some other points that need to be explored:

The last person she had contact with (via cell phone records) was arrested on May 13, 2014 - reasons are not known at this point - possibly due to parole violations(s). The police have not searched this persons phone yet, even though it is in their custody while he is in jail.

The story this person told the detective does not match the timeline or conditions/information the family has put together.

Please ask more questions, we have never had to deal with this kind of situation before. The questions really help us maintain perspective and helps prevent us from spending too much time where it will do little good.
    First, I'm so sorry about your cousin being missing, I can't even begin to imagine how difficult this has to be on your family!

Second, thank you, thank you, thank you! It's SO helpful when family can help lend insight, especially when media doesn't cover as much - unfortunately often the case when it's an adult that's missing.

We've got some folks that are great with resources/ideas/insight for families that have a loved one missing. Hopefully we can get more of them in here to help you guys out.

One thing you may want to do, though, is also start a Find Beverly Facebook page (or a Beverly Goheen Missing FB page) similar to the website that's up. People tend to be much more likely to "share" pages on FB than other sites since FB makes it so easy.

That also tends to help as far as coordinating areas to search or put up posters or what not. People can say "I covered ___" (whatever area) and got posters up, etc. really easily and it tends to promote more dialogue. Plus, that's something that perhaps you, or other family that's not local, can help maintain so those 'on the ground' can facilitate other means.

Also, it seems like the more that gets out there in social media - both in information and "shares" in general, as well as just in making Beverly a "real person" to others the better. Maybe things she likes, places she might frequent, hobbies, etc. If people feel like they 'know' her a bit, they're more apt to stay invested longer term.

I would also link a "Help Find Beverly Goheen" or "Missing - Beverly Goheen" missing page to HER FB page. Whether it's by family/friends posting the link on her page, or if someone in the family has access to it to be able to post it as if they are her (and just being sure they make it clear they're posting FOR her and she really is missing!)

Plus, doing so on FB makes it more "linkable" to local news stations and THEIR FB pages. If you've got family who can't help in other ways, or social media loving teens, perhaps, tracking down the media sites - papers, news stations, and radio stations - on FB and even Twitter and linking a "Help Find Beverly" type FB page will get more people aware, as well.

Finally, just off the top of my head, I'd suggest getting family and friends to post on their own FB pages, as well as on a missing/help one, plus on Beverly's FB that they love her, just want her back no matter what, etc. Messages of support/love/we're here for you/etc. and knowing people care have made a difference in some cases when it's been a case of someone voluntarily missing or having gotten in trouble and then ending up going missing (or hiding) because of it.

I realize there are some things that are definitely concerning (the part I quoted at the top) so that may not be the case, but I'd encourage you guys to do that regardless of the circumstances.

Like I said, there are others who are better as far as resources. Hopefully we can get some of them in here to chime in - and hopefully some locals, too!

Praying Beverly is found quickly and most of this long reply won't even be necessary!!

a.a. I hope your cousin will be back with you quickly.

Do go to Websleuths Resource Center and click on Families of the Missing - resources, help, tips. Among other things you'll find templates for flyers & a checklist you may find helpful.

Wishing you all the best.

Bumping for Beverly.

Beverly Goheen

I just wanted to update you all:

We took your advice and put up a page on Facebook.

www.Facebook.com/findingbev

This really has helped with the organization of the campaign to find Beverly.

Also, we have updated the flyer. A new case number was assigned when the Clark County Sheriff took over the case.

Thank you everyone!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast