1022 users online (186 members and 836 guests)  

Websleuths News

TX - Virginia Honefenger, 57, dies in DUI golf cart ride, 5 June 2005

This man is being Charged with Intoxicated Manslaughter in the death of his wife. She fell out of a GOLF CART that he was driving. In a gated subdivision where Golf Carts are the main mode of transportation within the gates. He failed a field sobriety test, the blood tests are not yet available

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3214039

Do you believe this man should be charged?

Legally, he can be charged, considering he was operating a motor vehicle, on a public street, intoxicated, and a death resulted... BUT - If you were on a jury, what would you think?

I think it is a tragedy, but I do not hold the husband responsible. JMO
    And thats all I have to say about that!

IMO, It's not different than driving a car drunk.
    What if he hit a child crossing the street?
    He made a sharp turn which caused his wife
    to fall out of the golf cart.

I had a friend who made national news when he arrested a man for driving his lawn mower intoxicated.

The case was dismissed. I didn't think it should have been because the man was not driving the lawn mower on his lawn or any other!

Quote Originally Posted by sharon25
    IMO, It's not different than driving a car drunk.
    What if he hit a child crossing the street?
    He made a sharp turn which caused his wife
    to fall out of the golf cart.

I agree.

Here is my thought process on this...

Back in my younger days, a group of my friends and I got together for a 4th of July party - we were drinking and having fun. When it was time for the fireworks a few blocks away, we all piled into one pickup truck and headed down. I was in the back, and because I had a dress on, I sat up on the toolbox in the back of the truck, so I didnt have to sit in the bed and show everyone my panties - lol. Turned out to be a bad move. I was somewhat intoxicated, and when the driver turned out of the cul de sac we were on, the rayon skirt and the metal toolbox decided to betray me. I slid off the toolbox and onto the road beside the truck (Everyone saw my panties anyway!). I sustained a minor concussion and multiple lacerations and contusions. Do I think the guy driving should have been charged? NOPE. I chose to sit there, I chose not to grab onto the girl beside me when I felt myself start to slide.... These are the risks you take when you choose to rind in such a vehicle, without safety restraints or doors to keep you in.

Secondly - I have ridden up and down hills in a golf cart, around sharp turns, into a lake...and have NEVER fallen out. As long as I was holding the metal bar in front of me, I stayed in the cart. I do not believe the husband was negligent, nor do I believe the wife was. I think it was a tragic accident, and the husband will think twice about drinking at the golf course again. But I do not believe he should be held liable. He has lost enough as it is.
    And thats all I have to say about that!