997 users online (188 members and 809 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sangre de Cristo Mountains, New Mexico
    Posts
    5,289

    Black bear and baby in Canada

    Mommy black bear rescues baby from traffic. NOTE: other sibling peeking over the "wall".

    Just too cute. Never underestimate a mother's love:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1bSag_K6H8

    Please note: baby (in traffic) is a Cinnamon black bear vs the mom's color/other sibling.

    Cinnamon bear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,235
    Bears are pretty serious moms. I was at a distance -- maybe 400-600m, but I once saw a polar bear dragging what looked to be a dead cub until she was out of range, outside of Clyde River on Baffin Island. Polar Bear moms care for their cubs for a long time relative to other non-human animals, and there were a lot of locals who were crying, even though bears are a threat.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,183
    Gah...SO cute!

    Have you seen the movie Bears, yet? It's so cute and worth seeing. I know they are predators, but they are just so fun to watch.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sangre de Cristo Mountains, New Mexico
    Posts
    5,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Montjoy View Post
    Bears are pretty serious moms. I was at a distance -- maybe 400-600m, but I once saw a polar bear dragging what looked to be a dead cub until she was out of range, outside of Clyde River on Baffin Island. Polar Bear moms care for their cubs for a long time relative to other non-human animals, and there were a lot of locals who were crying, even though bears are a threat.
    Black Bears, generally, are not a threat unless you mess with a MOM and her baby(ies). I have a Cinnamon mom that hibernates on our land here in New Mexico, USA. She's a kind creature and very gentle, unless she has a baby or two in tow. My Cinnamon lady black bear emerged with two babies this year (one black/one cinnamon)! I love watching them ... from a distance! My horses always warn me that bear is around. I try to not take my dogs around that area where she roams. Black Bears are deathly afraid of dogs and go up a tree so fast before you can even blink ... even the little wee ones.

    I would dearly love to go watch Polar Bears in the wild. Maybe some day?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sangre de Cristo Mountains, New Mexico
    Posts
    5,289
    Quote Originally Posted by blue22 View Post
    Gah...SO cute!

    Have you seen the movie Bears, yet? It's so cute and worth seeing. I know they are predators, but they are just so fun to watch.
    No. I need to see that. Some bears are predators, but most Black Bears aren't ... unless you get between a Mom and her baby(ies) ... then you are in big trouble!

    Yes .. they are darn cute and fun to watch.

  6. #6
    I'll bet that little cub is going to lose some serious privileges.

    Mom probably said, "I'm going to go behind the tree with this roll of Charmin. You stay right here with your brother and don't move!"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Black Bears, generally, are not a threat unless you mess with a MOM and her baby(ies). I have a Cinnamon mom that hibernates on our land here in New Mexico, USA. She's a kind creature and very gentle, unless she has a baby or two in tow. My Cinnamon lady black bear emerged with two babies this year (one black/one cinnamon)! I love watching them ... from a distance! My horses always warn me that bear is around. I try to not take my dogs around that area where she roams. Black Bears are deathly afraid of dogs and go up a tree so fast before you can even blink ... even the little wee ones.

    I would dearly love to go watch Polar Bears in the wild. Maybe some day?
    Agreed about black bears. In dry years where I live, they are generally smallish and timid. Polar bears are a different matter, however, as they are total alpha predators. Females are, however, moms first, from everything I've seen. Fortunately, males and females are more smart than reckless -- there's no other way a species could survive in such inhospitable circumstances.

    I do love bears, though. I hit one with my car on one of our few highways up here, years ago, and I grabbed my rifle from the trunk of my car -- not because I wanted to kill it, but I didn't want to have it wandering around dazed with (what I expected was) a head injury. But even with the scope I had, I couldn't find it, so I'm guessing that s/he got away ok. (Well, I don't know. Just hoping -- nothing I could do.)

    With polar bears -- unless you're going to Churchill (or Arviat, with the right people, and a lot of money), I think it's very hard to spot one in the wild. I've just been in the right place at the right time on a few occasions, but I could never have planned it that way.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    21,162
    Awwww---we recently got some bear cubs here at the Wild Animal Sanctuary in Co. Sooo cute!
    http://www.wildanimalsanctuary.org/a...lackbears.html



Similar Threads

  1. Man Saves a Drowning 400-lb Black Bear in Florida
    By al66pine in forum News that makes you smile!
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-13-2016, 04:43 PM
  2. Arkansas Boy, 5, Kills 445-Pound Black Bear
    By dark_shadows in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-12-2007, 01:02 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-30-2004, 08:42 AM