Black bear and baby in Canada

Bears are pretty serious moms. I was at a distance -- maybe 400-600m, but I once saw a polar bear dragging what looked to be a dead cub until she was out of range, outside of Clyde River on Baffin Island. Polar Bear moms care for their cubs for a long time relative to other non-human animals, and there were a lot of locals who were crying, even though bears are a threat.

Gah...SO cute!

Have you seen the movie Bears, yet? It's so cute and worth seeing. I know they are predators, but they are just so fun to watch.

Bears are pretty serious moms. I was at a distance -- maybe 400-600m, but I once saw a polar bear dragging what looked to be a dead cub until she was out of range, outside of Clyde River on Baffin Island. Polar Bear moms care for their cubs for a long time relative to other non-human animals, and there were a lot of locals who were crying, even though bears are a threat.

Black Bears, generally, are not a threat unless you mess with a MOM and her baby(ies). I have a Cinnamon mom that hibernates on our land here in New Mexico, USA. She's a kind creature and very gentle, unless she has a baby or two in tow. My Cinnamon lady black bear emerged with two babies this year (one black/one cinnamon)! I love watching them ... from a distance! My horses always warn me that bear is around. I try to not take my dogs around that area where she roams. Black Bears are deathly afraid of dogs and go up a tree so fast before you can even blink ... even the little wee ones.

I would dearly love to go watch Polar Bears in the wild. Maybe some day?

Gah...SO cute!

Have you seen the movie Bears, yet? It's so cute and worth seeing. I know they are predators, but they are just so fun to watch.

No. I need to see that. Some bears are predators, but most Black Bears aren't ... unless you get between a Mom and her baby(ies) ... then you are in big trouble!

Yes .. they are darn cute and fun to watch.

I'll bet that little cub is going to lose some serious privileges.

Mom probably said, "I'm going to go behind the tree with this roll of Charmin. You stay right here with your brother and don't move!"

Black Bears, generally, are not a threat unless you mess with a MOM and her baby(ies). I have a Cinnamon mom that hibernates on our land here in New Mexico, USA. She's a kind creature and very gentle, unless she has a baby or two in tow. My Cinnamon lady black bear emerged with two babies this year (one black/one cinnamon)! I love watching them ... from a distance! My horses always warn me that bear is around. I try to not take my dogs around that area where she roams. Black Bears are deathly afraid of dogs and go up a tree so fast before you can even blink ... even the little wee ones.

I would dearly love to go watch Polar Bears in the wild. Maybe some day?

Agreed about black bears. In dry years where I live, they are generally smallish and timid. Polar bears are a different matter, however, as they are total alpha predators. Females are, however, moms first, from everything I've seen. Fortunately, males and females are more smart than reckless -- there's no other way a species could survive in such inhospitable circumstances.

I do love bears, though. I hit one with my car on one of our few highways up here, years ago, and I grabbed my rifle from the trunk of my car -- not because I wanted to kill it, but I didn't want to have it wandering around dazed with (what I expected was) a head injury. But even with the scope I had, I couldn't find it, so I'm guessing that s/he got away ok. (Well, I don't know. Just hoping -- nothing I could do.)

With polar bears -- unless you're going to Churchill (or Arviat, with the right people, and a lot of money), I think it's very hard to spot one in the wild. I've just been in the right place at the right time on a few occasions, but I could never have planned it that way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back