Raven-isms and Raven lingo

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
Hi all! :D
I thought maybe we could research Raven's writings
and list some words he frequently misspells or uses ...
this could help us to find him on other forums around the web, maybe other car sites forums, dating forums, etc.

URBAN DICTIONARY:

. shizzz
slang for the work *advertiser censored*
I gots ta go ta work and shizzz mang.

One other thing I noticed:

FuTBaLrGuY

The mixing of upper and lower cases to spell a word.

I remember distinctly seeing that in some of his posts (in the VX boards as I recall)...but I don't have the link...

Are you kidding? We could be here for days! LOL!

Okay, here's what I've noticed. Raven actually has a fairly normal vocabulary and is very proficient in spelling most, if not all, of the bigger words that he uses. He actually seems to have trouble with the smaller ones, especially those that sound like other words but are spelled differently.

Also, SES, you are right. He does once in a while mix up capitals and lower cases, mostly the first letter of a word in the Middle of a sentence, <<< that's just an example, btw. :)

He seems to have trouble with proper apostrophe use. (Not that I should talk because my use of commas is embarassing!)

With all of that in mind, here are some words that I've found on the Online Activity thread. These are words that seem to me to be obvious misspellings, and not just typos:

Apostrophes
Shed's (instead of sheds) - "shed's light on ..."
Pro's (instead of pros).
Bikes (instead of bike's) - "... the bikes got low mileage"
Thats (instead of that's)

Misspellings
Preasure (instead of pressure)
Wrap (instead of rap) - "bad wrap"
Narly (instead of gnarly)
Gasget (instead of gasket) - "the gasget cracked"
Reving (instead of revving)
Spudders (instead of sputters) - "it spudders a little bit"

Grammar
Fast (instead of quickly) - "I can learn fast."

I must say here that I make my own share of mistakes in spelling and grammar so I'm not poking fun at Raven. I do agree that these mistakes might help to identify his posts on other boards.

...would feel comfortable using the language he is using....or, its there a sort of division, where the older folks are stricter, and the younger ones are more comfortable with "street talk"...

spells numbers out sometimes, use numerals other times...
Example:
"Having lived in 10 different houses and attending 10 different schools by the time I was seventeen I had no choice but to adapt or be lost in the shuffle."

he used 10 for ten
yet spelled out seventeen.

Example:
"My mother was left to care for 4 children under the age of six."

http://ravenstree.blogspot.com/

misuse of hyphens:
"I now find that my lack of education leaves me narrow minded and can limit my interaction with co-workers and friends. "

"One insecurity was second guessing myself. Without constant friendships I was always afraid to ask for help and in that frame of thought I often wondered if what I was doing was right. In my personal and professional life my biggest weakness is uncertainty because through second-guessing myself I do not take a lot of risk and to be successful in my line of work you must be willing to take risks."

cappuccina said:
...would feel comfortable using the language he is using....or, its there a sort of division, where the older folks are stricter, and the younger ones are more comfortable with "street talk"...
I'm not NCBanker, but I am LDS. In my experience it varies (that helps, right? lol). I'm just guessing because I didn't know her, but with Janet being described as devout, I don't think she would have been comfortable with some of it. However, knowing what I do from my husbands work experience with Raven and reading what he's written in various places, the language he uses doesn't surprise me. Still, I know other members of the LDS church who rarely ever use profanity except when IMing with their buddies. They're mostly men in their 20's and early 30's, I think that they think it makes them look cool (their little way of rebelling maybe) and Raven may fall into this category as well.

cappuccina said:
Maybe he grew up with that language and Janet didn't? You see really offensive language in his sister's and brother's myspace accounts. For being mormons, I was surprised. But maybe they aren't?

...how you characterized this brought to mind my grandfather who only swore in English, and not in his native language!

Students at SVU, where Janet and Raven attended, are prohibited from "swearing, cursing or using profanity" (see http://www.southernvirginia.edu/m_prospective/ under Honor Code and Organization).

Those kinds of rules lead to saying words like "Shizz" as opposed to the real deal...students following the letter of the law but not the spirit, I suppose. The kinds of euphemisms that Raven uses were probably not shocking to Janet.

cappuccina said:
...how you characterized this brought to mind my grandfather who only swore in English, and not in his native language!
LOL! Glad to help.

ewwwinteresting said:
Maybe he grew up with that language and Janet didn't? You see really offensive language in his sister's and brother's myspace accounts. For being mormons, I was surprised. But maybe they aren't?
I know Raven's siblings are baptized Mormon but not all are practicing. His Mom never really gave me the impression that she followed the religion "by the book."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back