Verified Insider
Reaction score
MW5FzXe.jpg
tK3Ggd1.jpg

Shirley and Russell Dermond

Missing wife of decapitated Georgia man found dead in lake
By Chelsea J. Carter and AnneClaire Stapleton, CNN
updated 10:54 PM EDT, Fri May 16, 2014

Shirley Dermond's body was found in Lake Oconee, south of Athens, Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills told reporters Friday.

"We now, unfortunately, know that Shirley Dermond was murdered," Sills said. Sills declined to discuss the condition of the body other than to say, "the head was not removed or anything like that.

"We haven't even had a funeral for Russell because their kids wanted to wait. Now that we know about Shirley, we will start planning the funeral services for both.
GA GA - Shirley Dermond, 87, Putnam County **Media Links***NO DISCUSSION*** - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3

REMINDER

• We do not sleuth individuals who have not been named by law enforcement as suspects or persons of interest.
  • We do not link to social media profiles (Facebook, Twitter) of persons who have not been indicated as suspects/POI's by LE.
  • We do not link to a social media page unless we are 100% certain it belongs to the suspect/victim.
  • We never post the name of a private individual who has not been named in the media. Even then, unless s/he's a major player, initials should be used in place of full names.
  • With the exception of a victim, we never post the full name of a minor.
  • Linking to social media pages (Facebook, Twitter) is allowed for these four categories: Victims, Suspects, MSM and LE.
  • FACTS must be accompanied by a link to an appropriate source, i.e., MSM, LE. Blogs are not MSM.
  • If you can't link it, you can't post it.
  • RUMORS are not allowed to be posted.
  • Any exceptions to the rule MUST be mod-approved.
  • If you don't think you should post it, then DON'T.

Questions about the rules or moderator decisions should be addressed to a mod in a pm.

If you see a post that violates TOS, please do not quote it. Alert the post ASAP so a mod can handle the problem.

The killer could manage the 150 pound body of SD but the heavier body of RD was just too much. So if there was an incriminating factor involving the head of RD, the killer had to take it. Would this hypothesis make any sense?

I would very much like to know what basis LE has for being "certain" a boat was used to approach and depart the home. If LE concludes a boat was necessary to place the corpse of SD, would that prove a boat was used to approach the home? Was LE's boat use certainty ever spoken about before the SD corpse was found?

EXCLUSIVE: Putnam County Sheriff talks about investigation into murders of elderly couple

http://www.wsbtv.com/videos/news/exclusive-putnam-county-sheriff-talks-about/vCbjFD/

I am very impressed with Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills openness/transparency and professionalism in the Dermond murder investigation. This strategy is not the norm in most of the high profile cases that we have followed in the past imo, especially when the FBI is involved in the investigation. Sheriff Sills is obviously taking the Dermond case very personally. Says that it is the most mysterious case that he has seen in his 40 years in law enforcement.

Of all the accomplishments that he has made in the past four decades. Ironically, the outcome of the Dermond investigation will likely be his legacy.

* The first 48 hours is very critical in homicide investigations - The perp/s calculated that there would be a delay before the crime scene was discovered. Ironically is was approximately 48 hours.

* Perp/s Likely slight acquaintance of Dermonds..

* Both land and water transport utilized by perp/s.

* Probable multiple perps involved via FBI BAU2 profile..

* Decapitation likely to hide evidence.. (Imo, to hide forensics/dna of perp/s and for shock effect of persons making the discovery, as well as 1st responders/ investigators/ GW community)..

* Criminal background checks being ran on all residents of Great Waters.

* Not a drug crazed gang;
(Imo, mental health & drug history of residents should be the focus, although the perp/s will likely have multiple misdemeanors and possible violent felonies; most drug related; meth/molly.

Imo, the explanation for some aspects of this horrific crime being professional, while others pointing to it being an amateur is not by accident..
The sadist psychopathic perp/s responsible for the Dermonds abduction/murder/decapitation are investigative and forensically aware; calculating, deflective, creative, and manipulative.. The primary motive for this unspeakable crime, although elderly victims are very rare, is fantasy driven and sexual, imo...

Is it possible the killer attacked SD and RD during a time when they would have arrived by vehicle. Is it possible the bodies were hidden in the water, under the dock, until the perp could arrive back with a boat in darkness and deal with the bodies?

I wonder if RD had previously been wet before the decapitation. That could be the reason info wasn't given on what he was wearing- not because it was pajamas or nothing, but because it had been soaked in lake water.

Another thought. If the killer did live among them, my guess is he hadn't for very long. I would start looking at the most recent home purchases in the area and work back.

Had anyone worked on their house lately? Roof leak, plumbing or sprinkler, dock repair??

I just tried to search what can be hidden under a lake dock and this video game link popped up. I'm so disturbed by it, I'm posting it, not to say it has any relation to this case but it's just a disgustingly similar crime. I can't believe jackasses write these games and sell them to our kids. Uph.

I'm double creeped out because just yesterday I saw a recipe from SD posted on a friend's cooking blog.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Recipe_for_Disaster

I just tried to search what can be hidden under a lake dock and this video game link popped up. I'm so disturbed by it, I'm posting it, not to say it has any relation to this case but it's just a disgustingly similar crime. I can't believe jackasses write these games and sell them to our kids. Uph.

I'm double creeped out because just yesterday I saw a recipe from SD posted on a friend's cooking blog.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Recipe_for_Disaster

Definitely a Recipe For Disaster for adolescent deviant behavior, Bethanthony... 'Yikes'...

Good Morning Everyone!:seeya:

As everyone knows I have tossed all sorts of things around in my head since this case began just like everyone else and my opinion is constantly changing about some things.

I no longer think it was done out of revenge now nor do I believe it was pre-planned. I am leaning more that this could have been a spontaneous combustion that may have resulted in a very heated argument to the point of a murderous rage.

The problem we have in this case is we do not know the exact timeline when this happened nor do we know what the Dermonds did once Russ returned home after he was seen on May 1st when he was last seen at the pharmacy. We do know the Friday's crossword puzzle was worked to some extent.

Which leaves me to wonder did they visit someone in the evening on Friday who lives alone close by their own home. The area in which they live in has no traffic unless someone is specifically going to those homes that sit on the cul-de-sac and even then each home seems to have its own seclusion nestled back into the trees and not viewable by the homeowners that sit on the other lots adjoining the Dermond property.

ETA: TO CORRECT MY ERROR in the timeline. The crossword puzzle for Friday was worked by Shirley so that shows me they were alive on Friday at least during the day and possibly during the evening.

I still believe the killer knows the Dermonds well, then the murderer would know they probably wouldn't be missed until at least the Derby Party on Saturday evening. But just in case they were.... he had to have the bodies placed where he was going to place them before the sun rose on Saturday morning.

That would give him plenty of time to devise a plan of how he was going to get rid of the bodies and cover up the evidence. So I am no longer convinced the murder of Russ was pre-planned. The murder of Shirley had to be done because he knew she was an eye witness to what had happened. imo

If this was done out of blind rage at the time then the perpetrator most likely picked up something in his home to bludgeon not only Russ but Shirley as well.

After it was all over is when he realized the wound patterns may show what the actual weapon was and knew he had to remove that evidence from being known because if they could determine the pattern... he knew it could be linked back to him.

I think he had hours to think about what he was going to do with the bodies after he had murdered them. That may be why there was very little blood found in the garage where he placed Russ' torso.

I think he then left in the middle of the night when he knew everyone was sleeping and got on his boat and discarded them then and took Russ' torso to the garage before leaving. So lets say this happened around 8-9 pm ish, Friday night, and I believe someone did say they heard a boat on the water around 2am. That would have given him 5-6 hours to think about how he was going to get rid of each one.

Its just not feasible, to me anyway, that it happened in R&Ss own home or out on the grounds of RP or at any boat ramp. The tracking dogs would have immediately located the original crime scene if that was the case, imo. So it had to happen inside someone's home there where everything was sight unseen to others. IMO

That is my opinion as of now and is subject to change at any moment. LOL!

I can't figure out why the bodies were separated.
If the house is not the crime scene, why bring his body back to the garage?
It seems risky.
Why not place them both in the lake?
Or , for that matter, both in the garage.

I can't figure out why the bodies were separated.
If the house is not the crime scene, why bring his body back to the garage?
It seems risky.
Why not place them both in the lake?
Or , for that matter, both in the garage.

This part confuses me as well. Perhaps the killer only had immediate access to a small boat. He hid the bodies, thinks for several hours, decides he will boat in, and hide the bodies one at a time because of the boat size. He takes SD first but finds that he cannot find a suitable place for many miles and it ends up taking much longer than expected. He eventually arrives back at the house, retrieves RD's body and then notices another boat out fishing. He is forced to change his plan.
While Sills said SD's placement was thought out, I don't believe RD's was. Maybe the decapitation was a last minute decision performed under extenuating circumstances.

Imo

One of the regular posters here posted a link that took me to an article that summarized the case. I can't find it now. But at the bottom of that article was another article you could click on. That article was very interesting and informative.
I don't think this has been released but were either of the Dermonds bound and was Mrs. D. gagged?
I ask this because if they were not, it goes to my theory that they were killed quickly and that the killers
purpose was to get the job done with as little trauma to the living Dermonds as possible. Afterall, he was deceased before the beheading and she was deceased before being put in the water.
ter

Are you saying that Russell went to the pharmacy twice?Yes, it was mentioned that he was at Publix on May 1st which is a Thursday, which you mentioned in your post as well, then you mention in your post that you are beginning to think this may have happened later on Friday after Russell came back from the pharmacy. Did Russell go to the pharmacy late on Thursday night? Did he also go on Friday? Shirley worked the crossword puzzle on Friday and their mail was brought in, so I am confused as to how many times Russell went to the Publix pharmacy and on what days/evenings besides Thursday May 1, 2014. What I have seen in print is that he went once on May 1, 2014, a Thursday.
Yes, this murder could have happened on Friday May 2nd, but I don't understand the context of the "pharmacy" on Friday.
IMOO.

Oops...not enough caffeine when I made my post. I will correct it and use the Friday crossword puzzle being done instead to show I think it happened later in the evening on Friday.

Sorry for that and thank you for correcting me.

IMO

Oops...not enough caffeine when I made my post. I will correct it and use the Friday crossword puzzle being done instead to show I think it happened later in the evening on Friday.

Sorry for that and thank you for correcting me.

IMO

I deleted my response so that your new post would reflect what you meant about the crossword puzzle. :)

I deleted my response so that your new post would reflect what you meant about the crossword puzzle. :)

Has it been confirmed that the crossword puzzle SD had begun was in USA Today and that it was delivered by mail at about 4:30 pm on Friday along with the regular mail? Would a friend know SD's habits regarding when she normally worked that puzzle or any other? Would she always finish it without stopping? Could there have been an interruption?

Friday evening, end of a normal work day for ordinary people, day clothes, RD walk/golf schedule, etc ??

I was also wondering if LE could say when the official LE searchers had last checked the location where the corpse was found near Riley Shoals and could declare the corpse was not there when they were? It could be just slightly embarrassing that fishermen found it and not LE.

What would be the most effective method of searching for a corpse in a lake that size?

Wonder what the couple's habits were?

Would the Dermonds visit a neighbor together and leave their home unlocked, as well as at least one of them not take a cell phone with them?

Has it been confirmed that the crossword puzzle SD had begun was in USA Today and that it was delivered by mail at about 4:30 pm on Friday along with the regular mail? Would a friend know SD's habits regarding when she normally worked that puzzle or any other? Would she always finish it without stopping? Could there have been an interruption?

Friday evening, end of a normal work day for ordinary people, day clothes, RD walk/golf schedule, etc ??

I was also wondering if LE could say when the official LE searchers had last checked the location where the corpse was found near Riley Shoals and could declare the corpse was not there when they were? It could be just slightly embarrassing that fishermen found it and not LE.

What would be the most effective method of searching for a corpse in a lake that size?

This link mentions "works", not worked, so I don't know if they meant she was still working on the crossword puzzle from USA Today.
http://www.msgr.com/news/local_news/article_d8154a8a-db9a-11e3-b822-0019bb2963f4.html
"Friday, May 2: A resident reports seeing someone he thought was Russell Dermond walking on the neighborhood golf course, but says he is not sure.
Shirley Dermond works a crossword puzzle in Friday’s edition of USAToday newspaper, according to evidence found in the home."

There were a couple other links that mentioned mail and newspapers piling up, but yet I don't know if the USA Today paper was delivered by mail or "paperboy", or if Russell or Shirley bought it elsewhere, or if someone brought it to them already read.
Since a poster mentioned in the last thread that theirs is delivered by mail and most of Georgia gets their USA Today in the mail, then perhaps that was an assumption it would come in the mail?
IMOO.

someewhere it was online by sills and i may have posted that link yesterday but there was a question as to WHO actually started the crossword, SD or the killer

if a word was started and not finished in the blocks, that may have been the point at which the killer had come in the front door and from behind, hit her instantly killing her, she may have been seated, heard the door, thinking RD was coming in since the front door was unlocked( as I read in one of my posted articles yesterday at last thread)

also wondering as someone stated in last thread that the perps came in the gate, lived nearby and had no trouble entering or exiting, took her body to the ramp and boarded a boat to drop her in lake

but if that's the case,I wonder whats the schedule for time change with the guards, surely if the same, they'd have noticed them coming in and back out so soon after and can report this, if they even think anything of it, unless they entered when earlier shift was on guard adn exited when another shift came in but leaving after dark or in the middle of the night might be suspicious in itself adn may have been a question on the questionnaire

I also wonder why leave him, take his head and take HER

but whatever the reasons, they had 2 different types of investigations going on at the beginning, a murder AND a kidnapping and this could surely confuse things or atleast make them more difficult in the fact that you have 2 things at the same scene going on, OR DO YOU? SO it might slow things down

If it was a robbery of something the public dont' know that's missing, then one might think

OH WAIT, she had no blood to transport,(supposedly) HE DID even if a little from his body, that's why they left him and probably took the head in the bag and so no traces of blood in the vehicle, DUH!!!

I guess the beheading is the most confusing part if not a pro hit

WHY behead him, it takes time, slows things down, risk of being caught the longer you linger, holy cow, linger longer, no pun intended, anyway it was obviously very important to them to do that

okay, so back to "getting rid of evidence", or "show proof of killing" or WHAT? what other reason??

he was a cop with registered LE weapon? that'd be stupid, unless it was not intended in the beginning, you know maybe there was a little chaos or something that transpired

but dang, right back to why the heck not just take the whole body?!!!??????

I'm sure that's been posted before as to WHY

GRRR

Wonder what the couple's habits were?

Would the Dermonds visit a neighbor together and leave their home unlocked, as well as at least one of them not take a cell phone with them?

Well we know they attended church. We know Shirley played bridge and I think it was twice a week. It was reported that the neighbor who found Mr. D. was a person Mr. D. read to and he didn't come that morning so he went to check on him. Other than these things I don't know of anything else concrete that has been reported. jmo

In one interview one of the Dermond children suggested this was a Cult killing.

Then I read that Sills said yesterday that it definitely was not a Cult.

So who first made the suggestion of Cult involvement?

I also read that Sills has ruled NO ONE out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pinkfloyd44!