CA - Seth Clayton, 5 mos, dies in hot car, Carson, 9 Sept 2013

Paragirl

If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up wh
Reaction score
http://ktla.com/2013/09/09/dead-child-found-in-suv-outsde-carson-home/#axzz2eRwdQktt

Homicide detectives were investigating the death of a 5-month-old boy whose body was found Monday inside an SUV parked outside a home in Carson.

snip

Investigators said the boy’s father drove home with the child in the SUV. He reportedly left the boy inside the vehicle while he went inside the house.

snip
Some time later, the father left the home again, but took a different vehicle, investigators said. No one else was home at the time.

I don't understand how this can happen. When my kids were infants we had a pretty hectic life, but I could never have FORGOTTEN my baby in the car! It's the kind of thing I had bad dreams about when I was a new mom.

RIP baby boy.

Very sad. My sil can't have a baby, but these jerks can.

Do you know the outcome of this story? People who forget their babies in cars, need to be charged with crimes. Period. Their actions and inaction contributed to the death of a child.

It does seem odd that a 5 month old baby was wrapped in a blanket, and strapped into a car seat, within a vehicle, when it reportedly reached a high of 77 degrees that day? I could see this being done with a new born as they have difficulty regulating body temperature, but at 5 months old I wouldn't think this would be necessary. It's been a long time since my kids were infants so maybe I just don't remember correctly.

The child was reportedly found wrapped up in a blanket and strapped to the car seat. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/5-month-old-calif-infant-found-dead-after-he-was-allegedly-forgotten-in-a-vehicle/

Maybe when they put him on the car earlier in the day it was still cool enough for a blanket. Apparently he was in the vehicle from 8am to 2pm! I just don't get it.

But how does an incident like this happen?
Internationally there is a tragic record of deaths where parents have, at the end of a horrifying sprint to the car, found their child dead.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...ies-left-in-cars/story-fnixwvgh-1226732294245

I believe the research and statistics - but it's still hard for me to imagine forgetting a child is in your vehicle. And, so what do we do about this? I mean, it happens quite often. In the US alone - 15 to 25 children each year?? It's tragic.

Writer Gene Weingarten won a Pulitzer Prize for a Washington Post investigation which found 15 to 25 children die each year in the United States after being left in cars. One horrible day in America it happened to three babies.

But how does an incident like this happen?
Internationally there is a tragic record of deaths where parents have, at the end of a horrifying sprint to the car, found their child dead.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...ies-left-in-cars/story-fnixwvgh-1226732294245

I don't care.

If I left my baby in the back yard, in a shopping cart, strapped in a swing, etc...and he dies of the heat...I would be in jail. Why is the car a magical place, that it's just a tragic accident? ANYWHERE else, and the parent is a criminal, but nope the car is just dandy. It's neglect, pure and simple. Accidents can be neglectful.

Would a person forget a check for $10,000 on the backseat? I guarantee you they wouldn't. I don't care WHO does it, or how busy they are. You leave a child in a place, they die all alone, it's neglect. I'm sick of this crap. People need to be held accountable. No matter who they are, or how "good" they are.

I think it happens because
A. they want to kill them and think they can get away with it this way
Or
B. they get high or drunk and blackout
C. they are just pure trash that cares more about fighting with a boyfriend or getting their nails done or whatever in the world their excuse is.

You are all correct...there is no excuse.

I don't care.

If I left my baby in the back yard, in a shopping cart, strapped in a swing, etc...and he dies of the heat...I would be in jail. Why is the car a magical place, that it's just a tragic accident? ANYWHERE else, and the parent is a criminal, but nope the car is just dandy. It's neglect, pure and simple. Accidents can be neglectful.

Would a person forget a check for $10,000 on the backseat? I guarantee you they wouldn't. I don't care WHO does it, or how busy they are. You leave a child in a place, they die all alone, it's neglect. I'm sick of this crap. People need to be held accountable. No matter who they are, or how "good" they are.

ITA. Unfortunately, in these cases, justice isn't always served. I'm still miffed about this one and it's 13 years ago. This hospital CEO was found not guilty. She remembered to drop her older child at preschool, got back into her van but "forgot" to drop off baby Clare at the babysitter's home just blocks away.

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/opinion/article_96aa43c2-e6bc-5486-91bb-8ceb3b4a2b14.html

I think it happens because

A. they want to kill them and think they can get away with it this way

RSBM

This is what concerns me. Who knows how many of these cases are already deliberate murders camouflaged as 'tragic forgetfulness', but then there's the issue that - if in the majority of these cases there are no consequences for the parents, no justice for these babies, time and time again, how many murderous parents may be encouraged to kill their children this way knowing they will likely get away with it?

I think there are exceptions that have to be considered in some cases where there are other issues at play like mental illness, various cognitive disorders, etc (although even in instances where a parent may be ill or otherwise impaired, supervision and measures should be in place to ensure any children they are responsible for are being properly cared for) but in general there should not be any excuse for FORGETTING your child ANYWHERE. If you choose to have a child, it is your responsibility to keep them safe, to know where they are at all times, to protect them. Aside from love and nurturing it's one of the most important aspects of BEING A PARENT.

What is going to make these parents more focused and aware of their children's whereabouts when this happens 15 - 25 times a year just in the US, and there are no consequences? Babies are completely dependent on their parents to protect them and as parents, that is our job!

If you cause your child's death you need to be held accountable for that, whether it's leaving dangerous substances within reach, letting them wander unsupervised into a pool, having accessible guns/weapons in your home, or forgetting your child in the car.

This is just sickening and disheartening that this still happens. How ignorant do you have to be to "forget" your baby in your car? Unbelievable...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back