Family Sues School District for Indoctrinating Their Children Into a Cult

So bizarre! I am very curious about this one, I hope more details emerge.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

lol at the tags....

not sure what to think about the story.

very strange case

I am wondering if this

"They lost their humor and their empathy," the family claims in court documents. "They began speaking in a bizarre new language."

translated means they stopped listening to us and had their own ideas and opinions about things that do not align with our family POV.

Wellesley College is also named as a defendant for its alleged role in allowing the teachers and guidance counselor to maintain contact with the girls after high school. The college said it was preparing a statement.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/23/justice/connecticut-religious-cult-lawsuit/index.html?c=us&page=1

So the college is also responsible because the now adult girls were not restricted from contact by individuals they opted to be in contact with?

Hmm, way too few facts for me to figure out what the heck I think of this one.

Did the girls really join a strange new cult or just become what they believe to be spirit filled and speaking in tongues?

copy of the complaint

darn, too large a file, pdf wont attach. link to complaint is here: http://nypost.com/2014/05/23/high-school-teachers-lured-our-kids-into-a-death-cult/

ETA okay maybe the attachment worked after all :)

I got to page 26. Holy hell. So bizarre. Very detailed hearsay statement as to what happened to their daughters, which makes zero sense. If they knew teachers were crossing boundaries and being inappropriate, why did they never talk to the school or the teachers?

And what is this shadowy cult? And how exactly were they indoctrinated? Huge chunks missing.

It sounds like maybe some teachers realized there was a major problem at home and tried to help. How are three teachers and a school counselor involved in a cult and no one has complained before this?

So bizarre.

I got to page 26. Holy hell. So bizarre. Very detailed hearsay facts as to what happened to their daughters, which makes zero sense. If they knew teachers were crossing boundaries and being inappropriate, why did they never talk to the school or the teachers?

And what is this shadowy cult? And how exactly were they indoctrinated? Huge chunks missing.

It sounds like maybe some teachers realized there was a major problem at home and tried to help. How are three test gets and a school counselor involved in a cult and no one has complained before this?

So bizarre.

yeah, that struck me too gitana, very detailed hearsay stuff about repeated inappropriate behavior by M in the classroom and out and yet I haven't found in the complaint yet where the parents put the school on notice that there may be boundary issues with this teacher and they had concerns for their daughters' exposure to said teacher. Also what exactly is the religion/cult the girls have been indoctrinated into? the complaint is a bit vague on that issue.

I agree, and suspect with you, that certain teachers may have had concerns about the girls' family or home situation and attempted to reach out to the girls to ascertain more about that situation.

I think there is a lot more to this story and none of it has anything to do with cults or religious views.

Huh?
Baffling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean, are they serious?

It doesn't even seem real.

This is so bizarre - I just don't get it. I read through the whole allegation of what happened; if true, the parents belief that the teachers (especially one of them) began by majorly overstepping boundaries and then convinced the daughters to engage in a series of weird behaviors that ended in cutting off all contact with the family, but the story doesn't pass the smell test.

First of all, the whole thing would have required an utter abdication of responsibility on the part of the parents for YEARS. They claim that it wasn't until the youngest daughter "broke free" that they learned that Mastoloni had been consistently teaching spiritual concepts during class, but well before that they evidently knew that their minor daughters were spending significant amounts of time after school with teachers. Why didn't they put a stop to it? What parent in their right mind, especially in this day and age, wouldn't at least call the school and say "hey, Senora M is keeping my daughter after school for hours on the pretense of "TA work" or "two of your Spanish teachers showed up at my house to hang out with my college-age daughter"?. And then, after two daughters have already started exhibiting strange behaviors, you apparently make no attempt to ensure that your youngest doesn't get assigned the same teacher - and then allow her to spend a week alone with the two sisters?

While the parents claim they didn't know about the religious aspect, it also sounds as if they were fully aware that the teachers were eating lunch with the daughter, sharing inappropriate information with her, having her teach the class and grade the exams of other students. Again, where were they?

This story also requires us to believe that over a period of years, no other student reported, or faculty member observed, the odd behavior of these teachers or the bizarrely close relationship that had developed between them and these girls. These are high school kids, not third graders. If a teacher was consistently blathering on about deeply personal issues and New-Agey mumbo-jumbo, not to mention singling out favorites who were empowered to grade other students and occasionally teach the class, I'm pretty sure it would have come up before now. Avon is a middle-class suburb, the kind of place where parents tend to be pretty involved and not shy about speaking up.

Even stranger, we'd have to accept that one high school Spanish department had three kooky teachers who - again, in the age of sex abuse scandals and hyper vigilance -- saw nothing wrong with establishing personal friendships with minors and who may be members of a cult, as well as a guidance counselor who is backing the teachers and retaliating against a 17 year old to the point where she won't write her a college recommendation.

And I just had to laugh at one charge, which was that one of the teachers was teaching "magical realism." That's a literary genre, you guys, not a religious concept! If they're including something that facially absurd, you have to wonder what other misinterpretations and outright fabrications are showing up.

Looking forward to hearing more on this.

well said Datchery

This is so bizarre - I just don't get it. I read through the whole allegation of what happened; if true, the parents belief that the teachers (especially one of them) began by majorly overstepping boundaries and then convinced the daughters to engage in a series of weird behaviors that ended in cutting off all contact with the family, but the story doesn't pass the smell test.

First of all, the whole thing would have required an utter abdication of responsibility on the part of the parents for YEARS. They claim that it wasn't until the youngest daughter "broke free" that they learned that Mastoloni had been consistently teaching spiritual concepts during class, but well before that they evidently knew that their minor daughters were spending significant amounts of time after school with teachers. Why didn't they put a stop to it? What parent in their right mind, especially in this day and age, wouldn't at least call the school and say "hey, Senora M is keeping my daughter after school for hours on the pretense of "TA work" or "two of your Spanish teachers showed up at my house to hang out with my college-age daughter"?. And then, after two daughters have already started exhibiting strange behaviors, you apparently make no attempt to ensure that your youngest doesn't get assigned the same teacher - and then allow her to spend a week alone with the two sisters?

While the parents claim they didn't know about the religious aspect, it also sounds as if they were fully aware that the teachers were eating lunch with the daughter, sharing inappropriate information with her, having her teach the class and grade the exams of other students. Again, where were they?

This story also requires us to believe that over a period of years, no other student reported, or faculty member observed, the odd behavior of these teachers or the bizarrely close relationship that had developed between them and these girls. These are high school kids, not third graders. If a teacher was consistently blathering on about deeply personal issues and New-Agey mumbo-jumbo, not to mention singling out favorites who were empowered to grade other students and occasionally teach the class, I'm pretty sure it would have come up before now. Avon is a middle-class suburb, the kind of place where parents tend to be pretty involved and not shy about speaking up.

Even stranger, we'd have to accept that one high school Spanish department had three kooky teachers who - again, in the age of sex abuse scandals and hyper vigilance -- saw nothing wrong with establishing personal friendships with minors and who may be members of a cult, as well as a guidance counselor who is backing the teachers and retaliating against a 17 year old to the point where she won't write her a college recommendation.

And I just had to laugh at one charge, which was that one of the teachers was teaching "magical realism." That's a literary genre, you guys, not a religious concept! If they're including something that facially absurd, you have to wonder what other misinterpretations and outright fabrications are showing up.

Looking forward to hearing more on this.

Smart post. I did a bit of research on "magical realism". It is associated with Latin American literature, Garcia Marquez, etc. That's why it would've been taught in an upper level Spanish class.

I mean, are they serious?

It doesn't even seem real.

I have wondered if we are being punked.

Did the girls really join a strange new cult or just become what they believe to be spirit filled and speaking in tongues?

Possibly. It is possible they simply found religion and their parents are opposed.

But frankly I think they just separated from their parents and are protecting themselves and their parents are making things up in order to justify what's happened.

My daughter attended a state-run grade school with a very religious agenda, which used an array of bullying and coersion techniques toward both parents and kids to ensure ALL kids were exposed to their religious ed classes. It seemed like not a big deal to a lot of parents though it was a bit strange to them -- but it made me see red, the handful of kids whose parents refused the classes (Jewish kids, Muslim kids, my kid!) missed out on happy-clappy fun, singing, lollies, toys and time with friends, they were made to sit in a hallway and do math instead. DISgusting!!!!!! And this is a government school!!!

I see the behaviour of the principal and his born-again cronies as cult-related, and was so angry about it. Our kids were coming home asking about the devil and would they go to hell!!!

Anyway, I can see how culty thinking could creep into a classroom situation, and many parents trust teachers more than they probably should.

Who in the World as we know it, uses the word, martyrdom? There lies the issue at hand. jmo idk

Who in the World as we know it, uses the word, martyrdom? There lies the issue at hand. jmo idk

I've used it? What do you mean?

(I use when describing my MIL)

I've used it? What do you mean?

(I use when describing my MIL)

I use it too, every time I use the word infidel.

What I mean is its a muslim family that feels they lost their daughters and its the school and the teachers fault because they talk back and speak spanish.

I wish the complaint had offered more info on this alleged cult and what exactly is meant by death obsessed.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back