789 users online (137 members and 652 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

OR - Martha Morrison, 17, Eugene, 1 Sept 1974

Martha Marie Morrison

Endangered Missing from Eugene, Oregon since September 1, 1974

Age: 17 -- Height: 5'4" -- Weight: 170 lbs -- Hair Color: Brown -- Eye Color: Hazel

Martha was last seen in Eugene, Oregon on September 1, 1974. She had moved to Portland, Oregon with a male companion and had been visiting family in Eugene when she disappeared. She had a disagreement with the male she was staying with and was never heard from again.

NamUs

Charley Project

'It's important for me to just know that she's really put to rest'

Reba Morrison says that before their mother died, she never gave up hope of finding Reba's sister Martha.

"When she was sick and dying she told me, when I find Martha, tell her momma loves her - not if, but when."

Reba is holding out hope that her sister's 1974 disappearance can be solved.

More: http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/Its-i...279072741.html

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/loc...light.html.csp

The Clark County Sheriff’s Office in Washington state is now working to identify the second of two bodies found on Oct. 12, 1974, in rural Dole Valley northeast of Vancouver. The first body was identified that same year as belonging to 18-year-old Carol Valenzuela of nearby Camas, Wash., but the second body long has been classified as an unknown “Jane Doe.”

Walker said DNA and other testing at various labs hasn’t eliminated Morrison as the possible victim, “but we need to confirm it.”

Operations Manager Niki Costa with the Clark County Medical Examiner’s Office also noted that the DNA indicators for the unidentified body point to Morrison, but aren’t conclusive. She said she is hopeful something will be generated through the renewed investigation to confirm the identification.

Hope it's Martha

Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

Thankful she finally got her name back! It was her fathers remains that gave the match. All other DNA was inconclusive

Remains of homicide victim found near Vancouver identified after 41 years
    Medical examiners office employee spent eight years chasing leads
    By Emily Gillespie, Columbian breaking news reporter
    Published: July 13, 2015, 7:34 PM
    In the years that followed, law enforcement took a swab from the inside of the cheeks of Reba Morrison and Martha’s half-brother, Michael Morrison, for DNA comparisons. The results yielded a possible match with the unidentified Dole Valley remains, but nothing conclusive.

“This is the first lead we’ve had on this case ever — since 1974 — for identifying this girl,” Costa said.

She was told by the experts: “You need more DNA; it’s statistically weak.”

But Martha Morrison’s parents were dead. When Costa reached out to more family, they were resistant.
    So she tried different avenues: With help from the Eugene Police Department, Costa hunted down a tissue sample of Martha Morrison’s mother that was on file at a Springfield, Ore., medical facility. That sample, she said, was days away from being destroyed.

The sample showed the DNA was consistent, but still not conclusive.
    After a while, experts told her the only thing left to do was to get DNA from Martha’s father, who had died in 1976. The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children told Costa that if she wanted to exhume Albert Ray Morrison’s body for a family DNA reference sample, they’d pay for it.

Reba Morrison agreed to the exhumation and the NCMEC spent the next few months coordinating with a cemetery and other agencies in Arizona, where he was buried. While coordinating the effort, Costa considered the possible negative outcomes, such as the possibility that Albert Ray Morrison wasn’t Martha Morrison’s biological father.
    And on Wednesday, Costa got the email.

Costa choked up as she read aloud the words that concluded eight years’ worth of difficult and sometimes discouraging work: “It is 59.7 million times more likely to be Martha Morrison than any other unrelated Caucasian person with a probability of relatedness 99.999998 percent,” she said.

I'm so glad her family has found her. RIP Martha

Oh hallelujah. She's one of the missing I've most wanted to locate. I'm sorry she had to be found this way, though.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Online articles about the other remains, identified as Carol Valenzuela, appear to indicate she is a suspected Bundy victim. Is Martha also now a suspected Bundy victim? I seem to recall he once claimed to have picked up and murdered an unknown hitchhiker on Labor Day weekend but I don't recall which year. September 1, 1974 would have fallen on a Sunday, the day before Labor Day. Martha could be the one Bundy spoke of.

Talk about the kindness of strangers! Glad she has her name back.

Quote Originally Posted by dogperson View Post
    Online articles about the other remains, identified as Carol Valenzuela, appear to indicate she is a suspected Bundy victim. Is Martha also now a suspected Bundy victim? I seem to recall he once claimed to have picked up and murdered an unknown hitchhiker on Labor Day weekend but I don't recall which year. September 1, 1974 would have fallen on a Sunday, the day before Labor Day. Martha could be the one Bundy spoke of.
    Bundy was very active in 1974. That possibility is certainly on the table. I know that some of his victims remains were found in very close proximity to each other.
    Wonder where the man she was living with at the time is today? But it would be a huge coincidence if he killed one time and happened to leave the body near a Bundy victim, wouldn't it??
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.

OR - Martha Marie Morrison, 17, Eugene, 1 Sept 1974

Quote Originally Posted by dogperson View Post
    1974, according to The Bundy Murders: A Comprehensive History (McFarland & Company, Inc., 2009). Kevin M. Sullivan writes,

"...Bundy moved from Washington State to Utah to attend law school sometime in early September 1974. Bundy's girlfriend of six years, Liz Kendall, believed he left on September 3, when in fact, according to his gasoline purchase receipts, he departed Seattle on September 2, which was Labor Day that year. Now, at first glance, this quest for his exact day of departure appears to be little more than trivia and totally insignificant; insignificant, that is, until you learn that he later admitted killing an unknown hitchhiker while he traveled through Idaho on September 2 that year! Not only did he admit this, but he called Kendall from a town about 22 miles west of Boise, and it was on the outskirts of Boise (less than 30 minutes after this phone call) where he picked up the doomed girl he would kill later that evening."
    Last edited by Sutton; 07-20-2015 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Quote is from page 5. Liz Kendall is a pseudonym

Nikki Costa sure is determined! What a great lady.

http://koin.com/2015/07/23/the-44-ye...sim-continues/

This article is about Jamie Grissim and her connection to Martha and Carol. That connection is the same suspected perpetrator of their murders.

In the video, the reporter says this:

Clark County detectives have long believed suspected serial killer Warren Forrest was responsible for the deaths of Jamie, Carol Valenzuela and those mystery remains (Martha). In all, Forrest is suspected of killing eight women in Clark County but Forrest has only been convicted of one murder.
    The one murder he was convicted of was Krista Kay Blake.
    Last edited by JusticeWillBeServed; 07-24-2015 at 08:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast