NM NM - Walcie Rae Downing, 32, Gallup, 14 Dec 1956

Unfortunately if she was having an affair that puts a bit of a sinking feeling in my heart...we hear these kinds of stories all too often, and they rarely end well. Add in the fact that it was 1956...

Another post on a genealogy site which seems to be from the same poster (husband of the daughter) who posted on Ancestry as linked on #3 above. This further post adds the information that the missing woman told her daughter she was leaving and that the daughter should not try to find her.

http://www.genealogytoday.com/genealogy/research_query.mv?ID=18111

So this genuinely seems to be a search for someone who chose to disappear.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3226dfnm.html

3226DFNM.jpg
Walcie Rae Downing
Case Classification: Missing
Missing Since: December 14, 1956
Location Last Seen: Gallup, McKinley Co, New Mexico

Physical Description
** Listed information is from the time of disappearance.

Date of Birth: July 18, 1924
Age at Time of Disappearance: 32 yrs
Race: American Indian
Height at Time of Disappearance: 5'6
Weight at Time of Disappearance: 130 lbs
Hair Color: Black, shoulder length, curly
Eye Color: Brown
Alias(s) / Nickname(s): Rae, Walcie Rae Alston, Walcie Rae Pearce

Distinguishing Marks/Features: Moles on back

Walcie Rae Downing
3226DFNM[1].jpg

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/33503

Case Classification: Missing
Missing Since: December 14, 1956
Location Last Seen: Gallup, McKinley Co, New Mexico

Physical Description
** Listed information is from the time of disappearance.

Date of Birth: July 18, 1924
Age at Time of Disappearance: 32 yrs
Race: American Indian
Height at Time of Disappearance: 5'6
Weight at Time of Disappearance: 130 lbs
Hair Color: Black, shoulder length, curly
Eye Color: Brown
Alias(s) / Nickname(s): Rae, Walcie Rae Alston, Walcie Rae Pearce

Distinguishing Marks/Features: Moles on back

Dentals: Not available
Fingerprints: Not available
DNA: Pending

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: White blouse and blue jeans

Jewelry: Engagement ring

Additional Personal Items: 1952 or 1954 Ford, cream colored with faded tan, possibly bought in Casa Grande, Arizona

Circumstances of Disappearance
Last seen on December 14, 1956 in New Mexico. Walcie left behind 5 children.

Investigating Agency(s)
If you have any information about this case please contact;

Agency Name: Doe Network

Agency Case Number: N/A
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Information Source(s)
Family

Colorado is only one state away from New Mexico.. and the stats seem to be in range. Walice was last seen in blue jeans. From her photo Walice seemed to have an overbite.

1083ufco[1].jpg

Date of Discovery: September 30, 1952
Location of Discovery: Blackhawk, Gilpin County, Colorado
Estimated Date of Death: 20 days to a month prior
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Charred partial skeletal parts only
Cause of Death: Homicide
Physical Description
Estimated Age: 25-30 years old
Race: Unknown
Height: 5'7"
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Brown or black
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Available. She had a prominent overbite.
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Not Available
Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: A fragment of a turquoise sequinned blouse, metal rivets of blue jeans, and the sole of one shoe.
Jewelry: Rhinestone necklace and earrings.
Additional Personal Items: A small electric razor, a purse, and an empty lipstick container. Also found near the remains was a man’s ring with no setting.
Circumstances of Discovery
The victim's charred remains were found under a seven foot charred log in an unused gravel pit in the woods by a man who was on a hunting trip. The body was found approximately 100 yards from Highway 119 and about 25 feet from Clear Creek.
A three-foot stick with blood on it was found about 20 feet from the recovery site. Additionally, a third earring was located.
An autopsy revealed that the victim had suffered blunt force trauma to her head, but it is unknown if this was the cause of death or if she was still alive when set afire.
Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Gilpin County Coroner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Zane Laubhan
Agency Phone Number: 303-582-3957
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 14826
NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 14826
Information Source(s)
Namus
The Denver Post Cold Cases
Silvia Pettern
Admin Notes
Added: 6/30/14; Last Updated: 9/10/16

oh Dear... DUH... Brain dead... it was late when I posted this!!!! I feel stupid

Does the discovery of the Colorado remains not predate the disappearance of Walcie?

oh Dear... DUH... Brain dead... it was late when I posted this!!!! I feel stupid

Don't feel like that, we all make those kind of small errors, besides, it brings attention to other possibly overlooked missing persons, thanks for all you do!

Nothing to add (yet) just bumping

Hoping that this link is fine to post.
Mystorical: Our Mother is Missing: Walcie Rae Downing
"[I was contacted in early 2016 by family members asking if I would profile their mother to inspire renewed interest in her case and I am happy to do so. Her case has been profiled on several missing persons platforms and forums over the decades. These include the Doe Network her case file number there is Case File: Walcie Rae Downing - 3226DFNM. Please contact the Gallup Police Department or the Doe Network with additional information. Let's help bring her home to her family and friends.]"

In revisiting this case I have come across one odd coincidence which makes me wonder if maybe she did just leave. There are various records on Ancestry relating to a couple in Nederland, Texas. Firstly there is a marriage record from 1959 of Malcolm Sedtal to Rae Alston. Clearly this could just be a coincidence of names. However, there are further US Public Records Index entries for Beaumont, Texas showing different variations of the wife's name (but all confirmed by the same DoB of 30/7/1925) including Rae Sedtal and Walcie Sedtal. A coincidence of Walcie, Rae and Alston is still possible but interesting. Obviously the DoB does not match that listed for Walcie Rae (18/7/1924), but changing DoB would be an obvious move if choosing to disappear. This Rae (or Walcie) died in 2017 and there is a brief obituary at Alston Rae Obituary (2017) - The Beaumont Enterprise.

I am not sure what to think.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back