CA - Elliot Rodger kills 6, injures 13 in Isla Vista, Near UC Santa Barbara, #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldpizza

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
7 Dead in Drive-by Shooting Near UC Santa Barbara
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. May 24, 2014 (AP)

A gunman went on a drive-by shooting rampage in a Santa Barbara student enclave and at least seven people were killed, including the attacker, authorities said.
Investigators believe a gunman driving a black BMW acted alone in the shootings late Friday night near the University of California, Santa Barbara.
Brown said the shootings occurred at several sites in the town, resulting in nine crime scenes.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/dead-drive-shooting-uc-santa-barbara-23853689

Link to Media thread: CA - Elliot Rodger kills 6, injures 13 in Isla Vista, Near UC Santa Barbara shooting - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

His parents and therapist/s knew of ER's many difficulties and should have acted accordingly rather than unloading him in IV. They were probably the only ones who could have possibly altered the course of his descent into hell-o. JMO

Those poor, unsuspecting, innocent victims didn't have a clue about this festering monster. [modsnip]. JMO

His little brother he planned to kill was unsuspecting and innocent as well. Brother actually looked up to him. He planned to kill him anyway.

His little brother he planned to kill was unsuspecting and innocent as well. Brother actually looked up to him. He planned to kill him anyway.

Yes - and the brother was the charge of the father who long knew about ER's difficulties. JMO

Step-mom was probably relieved to finally kick ER out of their home so as to protect the innocent brother. JMO

Yes - and the brother was the charge of the father who long knew about ER's difficulties. JMO

Step-mom was probably relieved to finally kick ER out of their home so as to protect the innocent brother. JMO

Are you suggesting she shouldn't have?

Oh Absolutely I believe this to be true, they knew. jmo

Agree, and they made sure he lived away from them. Reminds me of ostriches with their heads in the sand!

I was wondering about this too and I noted that it changed from weekends with dad back to one week, one week when he got older. I wonder if it was more about mom needing the break than dad wanting him more often. I imagine he was an exhausting kid. Or maybe dad thought he needed the structure and limits he wasn't getting from mom, but step mom seemed to require. ER says that mom got him whatever he wanted, and immediately upon him wanting it. That can't have been a good thing in relation to his superior attitude.

I just found it odd that he would go and stay at the dad's and dad was hardly ever around. It was also interesting to note that he more highly regarded dad b/c he found himself a new GF so quickly. That says a lot to me about his perception of women. Despite seemingly loving his mother, he saw she was easily replaced, and that a mother figure was interchangeable. and he was OK with that. That's not a typical reaction. Most kids are angry at the father (or mom) for doing that. Instead he respects his dad more.

B/C of my father's acquisition of a new GF, my little mind got the impression that my father was a man that woman found attractive as he was able to find a new GF in such a short period of time from divorcing my mother. I subconsciously held him in a higher regard b/c of this. It is very interesting how this phenomenon works...that males who can easily find female mates garner more respect from their fellow men, even children.

Clearly his 7 year old self didn't organize his thoughts in this sophisticated manner, but it seems clear that he did subconsciously draw many conclusions about the experience, and those conclusions probably started laying the foundation.

It's telling he refers to her as his dad's acquisition. Is all about appearances. He doesn't say, "my dad was such a great guy, everyone liked him and I wasn't surprised he found a new GF." It's about how "women found him attractive." Nor does it ever seem to enter his mind that his father and this women fell in love, and that they made each other happy.

The more I'm learning, he definitely seems to have narcissistic issues, the hallmarks of which are having little to no empathy for others, and an obsessive self interest.

As parents, we normally love our children unconditionally. That is our job.

I have met a lot of unpleasant children who are adored by their parents.

We find Elliot repugnant. His personality was putrid.

But that does not mean his parents saw him that way.

Think of the obnoxious children you know that are loved by their parents.

That's what it looks like to me as well.
They were paying for his lifestyle and buying him expensive gifts such as a car.

If he was supposed to live at home, whose home was he supposed to live at?

I don't recall having suggested he should have lived at home.

I do resent that this "very disturbed", un-medicated young man was bomb dropped in the midst of IV. JMO

He should have been under supervision somewhere and I think there are those that knew it too. JMO

IIRC, ER mom did not want him to return to IV after being cleared by orthopedist in April. She wanted him to remain in Woodland Hills.

I can't get down on these parents, not fully anyway. I'm sure mistakes were made and hindsight is always 20/20. He seems to have been a master manipulator, and I would hope that if he really presented as badly as we now know he was, his therapists would have warned the parents that unleashing him onto an unsuspecting public was a bad, very bad idea.

Also, as enlightening as we find his manifesto we have no idea how accurate it is. Any of it, some of it, none of it? Did he really repeatedly ask to go home? He was definitely delusional about himself, and the situations that enraged him.

Unless we get some direct info from the family, which I find unlikely, we won't get a more complete picture.

Females tend to turn their self loathing unto themselves. Cutting, eating disorders, etc.

Males tend to take it out on others.

It appears he was really quiet. His parents probably knew of his hatred of self and they tried to bolster it with material goods and "friends" and therapy.

I am sure they were afraid he would kill himself. I don't think they guessed he would turn into a killer of others

I doubt that he would have agreed to being a mama's boy at his age--living at home

I just found it odd that he would go and stay at the dad's and dad was hardly ever around. It was also interesting to note that he more highly regarded dad b/c he found himself a new GF so quickly. That says a lot to me about his perception of women. Despite seemingly loving his mother, he saw she was easily replaced, and that a mother figure was interchangeable. and he was OK with that. That's not a typical reaction. Most kids are angry at the father (or mom) for doing that. Instead he respects his dad more.

Clearly his 7 year old self didn't organize his thoughts in this sophisticated manner, but it seems clear that he did subconsciously draw many conclusions about the experience, and those conclusions probably started laying the foundation.

It's telling he refers to her as his dad's acquisition. Is all about appearances. He doesn't say, "my dad was such a great guy, everyone liked him and I wasn't surprised he found a new GF." It's about how "women found him attractive." Nor does it ever seem to enter his mind that his father and this women fell in love, and that they made each other happy.

The more I'm learning, he definitely seems to have narcissistic issues, the hallmarks of which are having little to no empathy for others, and an obsessive self interest.

Equally telling, he rails against his mother not marrying someone rich after the divorce so that he could live in the style he deserves. He actually called her selfish for not doing so.

So it had nothing to do with his parents' happiness. He couldn't have cared less about that. It was all about him. As was everything.

When it was all 4 of them.............what does one do when startled, scared,? Pull back a bit - watch him when (right after dad dismissive hand motion) body stiffed , head cocked back eyes changed) .

High functioning.....sure he told ( assessed) by mom and dad, can he handle this, reminded gently that there will be a lot of people here tongight , its ok ( and my vote gave him a xanex -they love xanex )

Their entrance seemed hurried, if only they could get to their seats, less stimulation, sitting, less hand shakes etc. They did not stop at the interaction with the male, he stopped them.

That's what it looks like to me as well.
They were paying for his lifestyle and buying him expensive gifts such as a car.

No stones please.

My young adult son is a recovering drug addict. He has been sober for the past year and a half. This is so painful to even write.

We paid for his sober living house, programs, treatment, living expenses, everything. We got him a car so he could work and get to meetings. Once he graduated from the supervised, structured sober living environment and moved into a house with other grads of the program, we have paid for that too. He is thriving for the first time in 5 years.

He is working and figuring life out. Yes, I pay for his health and car insurance, phone, and on occasion now, help with rent. He is 25 and trying. We have been through hell and back and I have wept as my heart broke. I hope you all won't think less of me because I did all these things for him. I just simply could not give up on him. He is my son. I love him with all my heart as I do my other 2 children.

As parents, I think we try as hard as we can to raise healthy, productive children, giving them whatever opportunities we can. I made many mistakes before I could even see light at the end of the tunnel. Please don't judge me too harshly. For this reason, I can't throw stones at ER parents.

No stones please.

My young adult son is a recovering drug addict. He has been sober for the past year and a half. This is so painful to even write.

We paid for his sober living house, programs, treatment, living expenses, everything. We got him a car so he could work and get to meetings. Once he graduated from the supervised, structured sober living environment and moved into a house with other grads of the program, we have paid for that too. He is thriving for the first time in 5 years.

He is working and figuring life out. Yes, I pay for his health and car insurance, phone, and on occasion now, help with rent. He is 25 and trying. We have been through hell and back and I have wept as my heart broke. I hope you all won't think less of me because I did all these things for him. I just simply could not give up on him. He is my son. I love him with all my heart as I do my other 2 children.

As parents, I think we try as hard as we can to raise healthy, productive children, giving them whatever opportunities we can. I made many mistakes before I could even see light at the end of the tunnel. Please don't judge me too harshly. For this reason, I can't throw stones at ER parents.

No way am I going to judge you. My son is 8. I have no idea of the challenges we might face, but I assure you that we will face them together. I am in no position to judge you.

I am so glad that your son is doing well. I hope the bad memories continue to be replaced with the good ones. I wish him well.

Thank you for sharing. :seeya:

Equally telling, he rails against his mother not marrying someone rich after the divorce so that he could live in the style he deserves. He actually called her selfish for not doing so.

So it had nothing to do with his parents' happiness. He couldn't have cared less about that. It was all about him. As was everything.

I haven't gotten that far yet :)

That's so self absorbed I can't even wrap my head around it.

IDK, this guy seems to have had this selfish, entitled attitude from a very young age, why?

It's more than just having parents that are permissive, and over indulgent. I think a lot of parents are, yet most kids don't develop into such dysfunctional individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23