1376 users online (239 members and 1137 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

MI - Dick Lepsy, Traverse City, 29 October 1969

Dick Lepsy

Robert Richard Lepsy, a grocery store manager, husband, and father of four, disappeared October 29 of 1969 and hasn't been seen or heard from since. Dick Lepsy's station wagon was found in the parking lot of the Cherry Capitol Airport in Traverse City, Michigan, a few days after he disappeared. The keys were in the ignition and a half a pack of Dick’s favorite cigarettes were on the dash. If he fled Northern Michigan, all he had with him were the clothes on his back.
    Dick Lepsy/ D.B. Cooper??

This missing person is very similar in appearance to the D.B. Cooper suspect sketches and has not been seen since the skyjacking. Many experts believe the Cooper suspect died during the jump. He is also the same height, weight, and has the same hair and eye color. Dick Lepsy vanished October 29, 1969 from Grayling Michigan. His car was found a few day later in an airport parking lot.

http://www.michiganmysteries.com/#/lepsy/4581551701
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My kids are a window to my past, a mirror of today, a door to tomorrow, and a keeper of this proud old dad's heart forever.

Amazing similarity between the photo and the sketch. Even the sunglasses match!

There have been many theories and speculations over the past decades as to who "D.B.Cooper" was.

Actually, the mystery man signed on the flight as "Dan Cooper" and it was the FBI that screwed up and released the name D.B.Cooper to the press and into American folk lore. An FBI agent in Washington State attempted to locate any "Dan Cooper" in the area where the plane flight originated, and the closest name he could find in the phone directory was "D.B. Cooper". He quickly learned that it was not the person they were after, but some how that name was released.

There are a number of facts which are actually known about the hijacker, and there is a thread here on Websleuths which discusses the case in some detail.

Surprising that Dick Lepsy has not been listed among the missing sooner than this. Do you have any more information about him?
    Last edited by Richard; 06-17-2014 at 08:21 AM. Reason: spelling

I hope los gets interested in these old cases. They are fascinating and he's a darn good researcher.
    Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

“It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.”

The missing and murdered cannot cry out for Justice. It is the duty for the living to do so for them.

I stand with Standing Rock!

Dick Lepsy

Dick Lepsy is probably one of the most obscure missing person cases out there. He was originally thought to have run off, but family and co-workers now believe something happened to him the day he disappeared, October 29, 1969. He does bare a striking resemblance to the D.B. Cooper suspect. I wrote a book about his case and another story of a couple who disappeared with their Cessna aircraft entitled:"STILL MISSING: Rethinking the D.B.Cooper Case and Other Mysterious Unsolved Disappearances". I hope to draw attention to these two cases and hopefully generate information that will lead to there resolutions.

Missing for 45 years today. Whether he was met with foul play or decided to leave on his own accord, I hope his family gets some kind of closure soon.

Today is the 45th anniversary of the disappearance of this man, Dick Lepsy. His car was found in the Cherry Capitol Airport parking lot in Traverse City, unlocked, keys in the ignition and half a pack of cigarettes on the dash. He was never seen or heard from again. This is one of Michigan's most obscure missing person cases.

Dick was a married father of four. He lived in Grayling and was the manager of Glen’s Market there. He was 33 years old when he vanished. If you find the time, please send the Lepsy family positive thoughts and prayers. Please share.Ch. 5 D.jpg

Interesting, I've never heard of this case until now. Bumping, I suppose.

In 2001 Sarah Kinslow vanished after being dropped off at school. Thirteen years have passed...where is she?

Interesting!

Was his name "Robert" or "Dick?" Charley Project refers to him as Robert Lepsy. Dick would be a nickname for Richard, as Bob would be a nickname or Robert. What name was traditionally associated with this individual? Charlie Project lists Richard as his middle name:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/lepsy_robert.html

Satch

Here's a recent article that talks more about Lepsy and D.B. Cooper.

Could missing man from Grayling, Mich. be D.B. Cooper?