1369 users online (285 members and 1084 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

NJ - Andrew Jarzyk, 27, Hoboken, 30 March 2014 - #2

Andrew Jarzyk

Police seek missing Hoboken man last seen near city bar early Sunday -

Andrew Jarzyk, 27, was last seen at 2 a.m. Sunday near the West Five Summer Club at 505 Madison Street, according to an alert sent out by the city. He was last seen wearing a black “Under Armour” cap, a neon green T-shirt over a black spandex long sleeve shirt, black spandex pants, black snow gloves and ear buds around his neck.
    http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2..._city_bar.html
    My kids are a window to my past, a mirror of today, a door to tomorrow, and a keeper of this proud old dad's heart forever.

NJ - Andrew Jarzyk, 27, Hoboken, 30 March 2014, #2

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen730 View Post
    JMO
    I think Andrew had more than one or two cocktails and maybe something else.
    Him exiting the fire escape and needing assistance out to the street is a red flag that he was under the influence JMO
    I think he fell in and it was a terrible accident.
    I don't think he wanted to end his life.
    I don't think he was murdered.

He should have stayed at the bar with his friends.
    Sadly this didn't have a happy ending!
    Exiting the fire escape seems to have been explained by the fact that his keys were inside and the door from the bedroom to the fire exit was self-locking so he couldn't get back in. If Andrew was "struggling" when the neighbour encountered him, it seems he was able to make it to the waterfront without incident. It would be interesting to know his running gait/stance when seen on video (i.e. did it appear to be that of someone who was under the influence or was it his typical running style).

Quote Originally Posted by WriterFindthemissing View Post
    You're probably right. Hard to just 'fall' in in that area, but he could have climbed up and had some kind of slip or bad judgment. I don't know if he was drunk but could have been buzzed.

Still a possibility someone had words with him (the homeless people who live in that area could have yelled something at him if they were out in the rain) and someone could have pushed him in, but we'll probably never know.
    Your reference to homeless people caused me to wonder if there are areas where folks (homeless or ****s) could take shelter in the area of the statue. Just an observation that google streetview shows the building right beside the statue has a deep overhang on both sides (the side facing the statue and the side that faces the terminal).

Given the weather was bad that night, is it possible that it got that much worse as Andrew was near the statue? If so, he may have decided to take cover where others were congregated.

Quote Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
    Exiting the fire escape seems to have been explained by the fact that his keys were inside and the door from the bedroom to the fire exit was self-locking so he couldn't get back in. If Andrew was "struggling" when the neighbour encountered him, it seems he was able to make it to the waterfront without incident. It would be interesting to know his running gait/stance when seen on video (i.e. did it appear to be that of someone who was under the influence or was it his typical running style).
    Nobody has explained why he didn't know how to get out of his own back yard.
    How can you live somewhere and not know that the back yard will take you to the street? Even with a fence around the back, he had to know or should have known where the exit was. If my neighbor had to have help, I would maybe call that stuggling. If he knew his own house, he would know the door locks behind him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sophiebelle View Post
    How can you live somewhere and not know that the back yard will take you to the street? Even with a fence around the back, he had to know or should have known where the exit was. If my neighbor had to have help, I would maybe call that stuggling. If he knew his own house, he would know the door locks behind him as well.
    It is my understanding there was no exit ... the back yard was totally self contained with no gate / street access. HobokenFriend said Andrew was on a shed trying to get out of the yard:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased NJ - Andrew Jarzyk, 27, Hoboken, 30 March 2014

Unable to simply walk out to street level from fire escape he tried to climb on neighbors shed to get out. This is when the neighbor saw him, around 1:30, leave the backyard and start heading towards the river.
    IIRC, it was also said that the neighbour had to take Andrew out to the street through his own apartment (i.e. the neighbour's apartment). Perhaps this is all the neighbour meant when he said Andrew was "struggling" (as in struggling to get out of the back yard from atop the shed)?
    Last edited by sillybilly; 05-27-2014 at 01:03 AM.

No Exit From Backyard

It is my understanding there was no exit ... the back yard was totally self contained with no gate / street access. HobokenFriend said Andrew was on a shed trying to get out of the yard:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased NJ - Andrew Jarzyk, 27, Hoboken, 30 March 20betweeen.14

IIRC, it was also said that the neighbour had to take Andrew out to the street through his own apartment (i.e. the neighbour's apartment). Perhaps this is all the neighbour meant when he said Andrew was "struggling" (as in struggling to get out of the back yard from atop the shed)?
    I gave my opinion in a prior post and now can't find it. I'll try again. These streets are laid out tight like grids. The houses are tight, side by side. There are no alley ways. If there are "driveways" to park, mostly they are in the front of the house, with no access to the inner courtyard. There might be one or more access points to the inner courtyard on a large block, and the cats who roam freely know where that(they) are. AJ apparently didn't. It's not a surprise. He probably went out on the fire escape from his bedroom to check the weather, the door locked behind him, and he had no choice but to run with what he had on, go down the fire escape, find out how to get back out to the street and go on his way running. No one else was home to let him back in, and he didn't have his keys. He was probably mad at himself for locking himself out (who wouldn't be), but he went on his way, thinking that by the time he got back, someone (a roommate) would be home and would let him back in.

Most Sincerely, MoeJoey

Exit From Backyard

Quote Originally Posted by sophiebelle View Post
    OK. I looked at Google Maps again and am now agreeing with you. AJ's apartment was "between 5th and Monroe and 4th and Jefferson". Well, they don't match up: there is a street in between. I don't have his exact home address. However, I notice from the Google Map that as you move west, by block, the buildings are no longer "tight" but are rather get looser and larger, like "factories" with lots of land in between. It seems to be much more industrial than residential. There could have been big, high fences. I don't know.

Does anyone have his home address? At one point it was on the news.

Most Sincerely, MoeJoey

Quote Originally Posted by MoeJoey View Post
    OK. I looked at Google Maps again and am now agreeing with you. AJ's apartment was "between 5th and Monroe and 4th and Jefferson". Well, they don't match up: there is a street in between. I don't have his exact home address. However, I notice from the Google Map that as you move west, by block, the buildings are no longer "tight" but are rather get looser and larger, like "factories" with lots of land in between. It seems to be much more industrial than residential. There could have been big, high fences. I don't know.

Most Sincerely, MoeJoey
    The posts from 745-770ish have some info, but I have never been able to understand it. If Andrew went out the firescape and knew he couldn't get back to the street...why was he there? Even for a second. Why not ask for help. The one post says the neighbor walked him out. The neighbor's story was either never properly quoted, or it kept changing. I keep going to that because of state of mind. I read that 745 post as he walked him out to the street. Not that he led him through his own apartment out to the street. Then that changed as well and he's on a shed trying to climb over. Didn't Andrew know his neighbors (any of them), enough to ask for help? Or was he avoiding them?

Quote Originally Posted by MoeJoey View Post

Most Sincerely, MoeJoey
    His addy was 515 Munroe (east side of Munroe, middle of the street between 5th and 6th, back yard facing east between buildings on Munroe and Madison). There is absolutely no way onto Munroe (or onto any street) between the buildings. If you take a google walk around his block you can see his apartment on Munroe (brown brick with brass coach lanterns on either side of the entrance door) and going up Madison you can just see the back of his building. I don't see any way he could get out of his own back yard without doing exactly what he was doing. At that hour of the night, I doubt any considerate person would be banging on his neighbour's doors, and therefore don't find it unusual that he was having difficulty finding a way out of his yard.

I wouldn't have been "struggling" ... I'd have been hysterical
    Last edited by sillybilly; 05-27-2014 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added "or onto any street"

Shelter

Your reference to homeless people caused me to wonder if there are areas where folks (homeless or ****s) could take shelter in the area of the statue. Just an observation that google streetview shows the building right beside the statue has a deep overhang on both sides (the side facing the statue and the side that faces the terminal).

Given the weather was bad that night, is it possible that it got that much worse as Andrew was near the statue? If so, he may have decided to take cover where others were congregated.
    The statue (and the beginning of the park pier) is right next to the train station, which is open and running all night. It's only about a 10 second jog to the taxi stands/side entrance so that's the most logical place to go other than a building overhang.

There is a gazebo all the way at the end of the pier, and a small community of homeless people sleep under there when the weather is better, but the gazebo gets soaked and offers nothing in the way of protection when it's very rainy and windy. In inclement weather I never see anyone trying to take shelter there because it's no better than standing out in the open. But it is a spot where people sleep sometimes. The other spot that homeless people will bed down for the evening (in addition to any and all benches) is under the front overhang at the small building that has a water fountain and restrooms (which I've never seen open) up river at Sinatra park. The building.
    There are also a few other small gazebos that people will hang out under, as well as a long overhang with benches near the entrance of the 12th street pier park, but those also wouldn't have offered much protection that night.

His addy was 515 Munroe (east side of Munroe, middle of the street between 5th and 6th, back yard facing east between buildings on Munroe and Madison). There is absolutely no way onto Munroe (or onto any street) between the buildings. If you take a google walk around his block you can see his apartment on Munroe (brown brick with brass coach lanterns on either side of the entrance door) and going up Madison you can just see the back of his building. I don't see any way he could get out of his own back yard without doing exactly what he was doing. At that hour of the night, I doubt any considerate person would be banging on his neighbour's doors, and therefore don't find it unusual that he was having difficulty finding a way out of his yard.

I wouldn't have been "struggling" ... I'd have been hysterical
    Let me tell you; looking at those pics of the back yards, if I had gotten trapped like that, in that pouring rain at that hour of the night, that would have been enough for me to ditch my plans for a run that night. I would have just gone back to the club with my roomies and had a good ole drink. Poor guy.

Quote Originally Posted by momthebomb View Post
    Let me tell you; looking at those pics of the back yards, if I had gotten trapped like that, in that pouring rain at that hour of the night, that would have been enough for me to ditch my plans for a run that night. I would have just gone back to the club with my roomies and had a good ole drink. Poor guy.
    Okay, bad weather was already happening that night but it seems his plan was to go for a run regardless (as evidenced by him having returned to the apartment and changing into his running gear.) Then we pretty much agree on the back yard being a nightmare of a maze that he was trying to get out of. Thanks to his neighbour, he got out of that maze (and it seems they would have had to go through the neighbour's apartment because they certainly couldn't get back into Andrew's with the door being locked).

He's now back on track with his original plan ... he's out on the street, still dressed in running gear ready to go for his run (with the minor interruption of having been stuck in the back yard now behind him). Why would he then ditch his original plan to run (which we know he did as evidenced by the video of him running) to return to the club which he had already left in the first place with the intention of going for his run? Maybe he was just focused and intent on getting that run in regardless of what took place X minutes prior.

ETA: I've re-read your post and maybe you were just joking about what you would do re returning to the club for a drink. Maybe that caused me to post another thousand irrelevant words?
    Last edited by sillybilly; 05-27-2014 at 07:34 PM.

Okay, bad weather was already happening that night but it seems his plan was to go for a run regardless (as evidenced by him having returned to the apartment and changing into his running gear.) Then we pretty much agree on the back yard being a nightmare of a maze that he was trying to get out of. Thanks to his neighbour, he got out of that maze (and it seems they would have had to go through the neighbour's apartment because they certainly couldn't get back into Andrew's with the door being locked).

He's now back on track with his original plan ... he's out on the street, still dressed in running gear ready to go for his run (with the minor interruption of having been stuck in the back yard now behind him). Why would he then ditch his original plan to run (which we know he did as evidenced by the video of him running) to return to the club which he had already left in the first place with the intention of going for his run? Maybe he was just focused and intent on getting that run in regardless of what took place X minutes prior.

ETA: I've re-read your post and maybe you were just joking about what you would do re returning to the club for a drink. Maybe that caused me to post another thousand irrelevant words?
    Haha, yes SB. I did mean it as a joke, a joke against me. Poor Andrew. I give him credit for continuing on. He must have been very serious about getting that run in. I, sadly, do not have that type of discipline. But that's ok, I understand why at first you thought I was actually questioning something. Your words are always welcomed and enjoyable to read.

Side note thought...having this nice little conversation with you made me think of something I had not thought of before, and I have been with this thread since the beginning. Here goes and please give me your thoughts;
    Andrew had a rough start to the beginning of his run, but as I said, he must have really wanted to get that run in. If Andrew wanted to commit suicide, would he have gone running first? If his intention all along was to sadly go into the river, then why run? Why not just go and do the sad event?
    I have always had my doubts whether he actually committed suicide. Because of what we knew of him and his closeness to his family, I always had my reservation about Andrew ending his own life. Now when I think about this I question it even more. Does it may sense to you that he would go through a run first?

Quote Originally Posted by momthebomb View Post
    Yes, I believe he was really determined to run and one poster mentioned being considerate enough not to knock on the neighbors door after getting locked out (and I agree with that). But there is where I part ways on his actions. Being considerate of the hour, I would think he would also not want to be shuffling around his/her neighbors yard for fear they would 1) wake up and be alarmed 2) think I was a prowler and take action. At that point, if I was still determined to run - I would have called or texted my friends who were minutes away asking for someone to unlock the door. In fact they practically crossed paths based on earlier timelines - a few minutes more and they would have been home. This is the one thing that makes me wonder if he had a mission that night and did not want interference or was under the influence a little more than I thought. Some people when drinking tend to think they can move around without making any noise (hence trying to climb the shed).

[quote=MoeJoey;10576708]
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    Starting a new thread for Andrew as the other one is quite long.

Salem[/QUOTE

Sorry, why start now? We had 55 on #1 and we have 3 on #2. Why start #3?

Most Sincerely, MoeJoey
    Because long threads take a long time to load on some people's devices.

Good grief.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast