982 users online (168 members and 814 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Posts
    1,914

    Gas Mileage

    I hope it's okay that I'm creating a new thread. I thought it would be interesting to look at the numbers regarding the gas mileage and receipts in this case.

    Jasonís mileage/gas receipts:


    Miles

    11/2 Filled up at Handee Hugo

    Drove to Cracker Barrel 84.8

    Drove to Hampton Inn 83.9

    11/3 Drove to Clintwood, VA for mtg. 165.0

    (got lost, adding 20 miles)

    Drove to Duffield, purchased gas 46.6

    380.3 miles traveled , 19.452 gal/gas purchased 19.55 mi./gal.

    Drove to Transylvania 137

    Drove to Brevard 5.8

    Drove to Burlington (filled up) 218

    __________________________________________________

    360.8 miles traveled, 18.44 gal/gas purchased 19.5 mi./gal.

    The gas mileage on the trip is consistent.

    __________________________________________________ __

    Stateís alleged mileage

    11/2 Filled up at Handee Hugo

    Drove to Cracker Barrel 84.8

    Drove to Hampton Inn 83.9

    Drove back to Raleigh 169

    Back to 4 Brothers 121

    458.7 = 20.38 mi/gallon

    He would have run out of gas 18.8 miles before arriving at 4 Brothers

    Assuming he somehow made it to 4 Brothers:

    $15 worth of gas was allegedly purchased @ 2.16/gal. , 6.94 gallons of gas

    Drives to Hampton Inn 48.8

    Drives to Clintwood 165

    Drives to Duffield 46.6

    260.4 miles on 6.94 gallons of gas?

    That is 37.5 mi/gal and that is impossible

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,363
    Thanks for doing this...now, we can refer to the gas arguments that were presented in court.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    32
    Good thread!

    But I am a little confused. Are you taking into account the gas which was already in the tank during fillups?

    For example, when you question "260.4 miles on 6.94 gallons of gas?", isnt it possible that he already had gas in his tank when he bought the 6.94 gallons? So he didnt make the 260.4 mi trip on 6.94 G only. He made that trip on 6.94 G plus whatever he already had in his tank.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine05 View Post
    I hope it's okay that I'm creating a new thread. I thought it would be interesting to look at the numbers regarding the gas mileage and receipts in this case.

    Jasonís mileage/gas receipts:


    Miles

    11/2 Filled up at Handee Hugo

    Drove to Cracker Barrel 84.8

    Drove to Hampton Inn 83.9

    11/3 Drove to Clintwood, VA for mtg. 165.0

    (got lost, adding 20 miles)

    Drove to Duffield, purchased gas 46.6

    380.3 miles traveled , 19.452 gal/gas purchased 19.55 mi./gal.

    Drove to Transylvania 137

    Drove to Brevard 5.8

    Drove to Burlington (filled up) 218

    __________________________________________________

    360.8 miles traveled, 18.44 gal/gas purchased 19.5 mi./gal.

    The gas mileage on the trip is consistent.

    __________________________________________________ __

    Stateís alleged mileage

    11/2 Filled up at Handee Hugo

    Drove to Cracker Barrel 84.8

    Drove to Hampton Inn 83.9

    Drove back to Raleigh 169

    Back to 4 Brothers 121

    458.7 = 20.38 mi/gallon

    He would have run out of gas 18.8 miles before arriving at 4 Brothers

    Assuming he somehow made it to 4 Brothers:

    $15 worth of gas was allegedly purchased @ 2.16/gal. , 6.94 gallons of gas

    Drives to Hampton Inn 48.8

    Drives to Clintwood 165

    Drives to Duffield 46.6

    260.4 miles on 6.94 gallons of gas?

    That is 37.5 mi/gal and that is impossible
    Thank you. I found it interesting that I had no response to my question about gas mileage in the other thread.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Posts
    1,914
    Quote Originally Posted by thesetup85 View Post
    Good thread!

    But I am a little confused. Are you taking into account the gas which was already in the tank during fillups?

    For example, when you question "260.4 miles on 6.94 gallons of gas?", isnt it possible that he already had gas in his tank when he bought the 6.94 gallons? So he didnt make the 260.4 mi trip on 6.94 G only. He made that trip on 6.94 G plus whatever he already had in his tank.
    The 6.94 gallons is what he allegedly purchased in King at the 4 Brothers Station. If he filled up at some point to ensure that he had gas for his entire round trip travel back to Raleigh for the murder, there never would have been a stop in King at 5:30AM.

    This is going with the State's theory that he must have been out of gas when he stopped to buy the $15 worth of gas as there would be no reason to risk being seen there otherwise.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Posts
    1,914
    Quote Originally Posted by SStarr33 View Post
    Thank you. I found it interesting that I had no response to my question about gas mileage in the other thread.
    You won't because these are receipts with gallons purchased so they can't dispute the mileage being consistent with Jason's business trip alone.

    The State's theory about the stop in King simply doesn't work. Surely he would have filled up before making the round trip to Raleigh that night to avoid having to stop in the middle of nowhere in the early morning hours, knowing he would certainly have to pay with cash, not knowing if he would be viewed on camera walking into the store.

    There never was a stop in King because he never left the Hampton Inn. The evidence is much more consistent with that than far fetched story about running out of gas in King --- he would have run out long before reaching that location. It just isn't logical any way you look at it.

  7. #7
    There are several things like this that are no brainers. Do you think his defense attorneys were incompetent?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Posts
    1,914
    Quote Originally Posted by SStarr33 View Post
    There are several things like this that are no brainers. Do you think his defense attorneys were incompetent?
    Not at all. They presented this to the jury in the first trial. It may have been during closing arguments. They should have repeated this in trial 2.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine05 View Post
    Not at all. They presented this to the jury in the first trial. It may have been during closing arguments. They should have repeated this in trial 2.
    That they didn't present it in the second trial makes me think they might be incompetent.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Posts
    1,914
    Quote Originally Posted by SStarr33 View Post
    That they didn't present it in the second trial makes me think they might be incompetent.
    I think there were definitely some things they could have done differently.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    63
    Just wanted to add one tiny observation. Since it is pretty much a given that Jason would have had to buy gas on his alleged trip back to Raleigh, I looked at the mileage that he would have had to travel total from Hillsville back to Raleigh, back to Hillsville, and to Duffield. If one were to include the gas that he allegedly bought in King, he would have had to have bought approximately eight gallons of gas somewhere in order to have his gas mileage of 19.5 mpg to be consistent with the second part of his trip. That would mean that Jason already knew the average mpg of his SUV and that he kept track of the miles he was driving and knew just how much he had to add in the gas station X and at King. This may make perfect sense to some of you, but it perplexes me. I think that one poster has already noted that if Jason had stopped for gas earlier, he would have not needed to make a stop in King. He could have made it all of the way back to Hillsville and more. The LE theory just does not compute mathematically.

    Glenn

  12. #12
    Madeleine74's Avatar
    Madeleine74 is offline Of course it's my opinion; who else's would it be?
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,274
    The gas mileage for his 2WD V6 was 19-22 MPG.

    If one assumes the lowest mpg (19) and assumes a drive time of 3 hrs then it makes the timeline much longer. Instead, using real life avg of 21mpg and drive time under 3 hrs makes for a realistic timeline. Drive time could be as low as 2:30 without being a speedy gonzalez.

    ==================================================

    Using averages

    http://www.autobytel.com/ford/explorer/2004/mpg/

    The $15 only would cover about 7 gallons (+/- $2.20/ gal 2006)
    He filled up in Raleigh when he left at 7:30PM and assume he got 20-22 MPG ( 21 MPG highway is plausible on highway) which is what the internet says for "real life' MPG Highway for a Ford Explorer.

    Full = 22.5 gallons
    Drive 168miles from Raleigh gas station-> Hillsville
    Consume 8.1 gallons
    Tank Volume = 14.4 gallons

    Drive 170 miles from Hillsville -> Home
    Consume 8.1 gallons
    Tank Volume = 6.3 gallons

    Drive 120 miles from Home to King
    Consume = 5.7 gallons
    Tank Volume = 0.6 gallons
    Last edited by Madeleine74; 07-14-2014 at 12:00 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeleine74 View Post
    The gas mileage for his 2WD V6 was 19-22 MPG.

    If one assumes the lowest mpg (19) and assumes a drive time of 3 hrs then it makes the timeline much longer. Instead, using real life avg of 21mpg and drive time under 3 hrs makes for a realistic timeline. Drive time could be as low as 2:30 without being a speedy gonzalez.

    ==================================================

    Using averages

    http://www.autobytel.com/ford/explorer/2004/mpg/

    The $15 only would cover about 7 gallons (+/- $2.20/ gal 2006)
    He filled up in Raleigh when he left at 7:30PM and assume he got 20-22 MPG ( 21 MPG highway is plausible on highway) which is what the internet says for "real life' MPG Highway for a Ford Explorer.

    Full = 22.5 gallons
    Drive 168miles from Raleigh gas station-> Hillsville
    Consume 8.1 gallons
    Tank Volume = 14.4 gallons

    Drive 170 miles from Hillsville -> Home
    Consume 8.1 gallons
    Tank Volume = 6.3 gallons

    Drive 120 miles from Home to King
    Consume = 5.7 gallons
    Tank Volume = 0.6 gallons
    You are assuming maybe a bit too much. Firstly, please inform me where you got the information that the Explorer had a V6 engine. I have not been able to find that anywhere. I was told by one poster in another thread that it had a V8. The LE tried to duplicate his mileage with a similar vehicle but fell short. In order to make an accurate assessment, i.e. whether the gas mileage by the receipts match the actual gas mileage of the vehicle, one would have to to actually drive therout with the vehicle in question.

    Even at twenty-one miles per gallon, Jason would not have made it to Duffield.

    Raleigh to Hillsville three times is 510 miles. From Hillsville to Clintwood is 165 (that includes 20 extra miles because he got lost as per Sunshine05). Clintwood to Duffield is 46.5 miles. That gives a total of 721.5 miles. He purchased 19.452 gallons of gas in Duffield plus allegedly 6.94 gallons ($15.00 @2.16 per gallon again courtesy of Sunshine05) which would total 26.92 gallons. At 21 miles per gallon that would take him 565 miles. Way short of Duffield and short of Clintwood even. To travel 721.5 miles on 26.92 gallons, the vehicle would have to average 27.55 miles per gallon, or better.

    Even that best guess scenario would not get him to Duffield without buying gas somewhere else, undetected. And you must remember that the detectives scoured the highways and byways trying to find where Jason had purchased gasoline paying with cash. Was Jason the luckiest man in the world to find two stations late at night/early in the morning without a camera working? It still does not compute. But thanks for your efforts. I mean that sincerely. You are responding to my ideas with facts and figures of your own. All of this requires some bit of speculation. Until further evidence to the contrary, I will stick with the most simple answer provided by Jason's receipts.

    Glenn
    Last edited by Glenn101; 07-14-2014 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammar

  14. #14
    Madeleine74's Avatar
    Madeleine74 is offline Of course it's my opinion; who else's would it be?
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,274
    Doing the mileage /speed / time math


    170 miles Hillsville to Raleigh
    Speed limit on highway is 65mph
    170 / 65 = 2.61 hrs


    For Hillsville to Raleigh to take 3 hrs, avg speed driven would have to be about 56.5mph.

  15. #15
    Madeleine74's Avatar
    Madeleine74 is offline Of course it's my opinion; who else's would it be?
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,274
    One of the SWs specifies JY's vehicle is a v6

    http://abclocal.go.com/images/wtvd/p...chwarrant2.pdf

    Ford site with engine ID. 8th character is "K" K=4.0 V6

    http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...er/VIN2004.pdf


    Last edited by Madeleine74; 07-14-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: added link

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast