1306 users online (187 members and 1119 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeleine74 View Post
    One of the SWs specifies JY's vehicle is a v6.
    Do you have a link?

Doing the mileage /speed / time math

170 miles Hillsville to Raleigh
    Speed limit on highway is 65mph
    170 / 65 = 2.61 hrs

For Hillsville to Raleigh to take 3 hrs, avg speed driven would have to be about 56.5mph.
    Approx 3 hours is what Det. Brent David testified to.......his words..unless the state wants to impeach him and which is probably why he checked airports to see if Jason had charted a private plane.....

http://www.wral.com/specialreports/m...video/9723820/

37:00

Madeleine74 is offline Of course it's my opinion; who else's would it be?
    Spivey testified about his actual drive between Hillsville & Raleigh. Less than 3 hrs.

Spivey testified about his actual drive between Hillsville & Raleigh. Less than 3 hrs.

Det. Brent David
    was one of the first officers to make the trip and he said it was approx 3 hours.
    Do you have a link to what Spivey said or the search warrant with the information Jason's SUV had a V6 engine?
    If the mileage/distance/ time was not a problem with LE, why did they have to check an airport?

Link to Spivey's testimony is on the word "Spivey" above.

In addition the following article repeats what Spivey said in testimony:

http://www.wncn.com/story/20884345/j...helle-was-dead

"The distance from Hillsville to the Young’s home is 169 miles. Sgt. Richard Spivey said he drove that in 2:40 or less with no traffic. So Young could have left Hillsville at midnight and been home by 2:45 a.m."The distance from the Young’s home to the Four Brothers convenience store in King is 121 miles. Spivey said the drive takes “an hour and 45 minutes.” If the prosecutors are correct, he had to leave Raleigh by 3:45 a.m.

"The distances in the case are critical, and Spivey filled in some details there. The distance between the Young’s home in Raleigh and the Hampton Inn is 169 miles. Spivey said he drove that trip several times.
    “I’ve driven it late at night and in the very, very early morning hours,” he said. “You can make it in 2 and a half hours, 2 hours and 40 minutes, somewhere in there.”

That is an article and not a timeframe in the testimony to what Spivey actually said...

And, it doesn't change Det. Brent David's testimony and the fact he said he was an approx 3 hour trip.

And, it also doesn't change the fact that they actually considered Jason made the trip in a plane!!

The rule is "provide a link."

I provided 2 links. 1 link goes to Spivey testimony. The other link goes to a news article that covered the day's proceedings and testimony.

WS allows quotes from mainstream media news sources. That is a valid link. The news article got it right. That is exactly what lead detective, Spivey, testified to.

I choose to believe the data is valid from the guy who "drove the route several times."

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeFever View Post
    Approx 3 hours is what Det. Brent David testified to.......his words..unless the state wants to impeach him and which is probably why he checked airports to see if Jason had charted a private plane.....

http://www.wral.com/specialreports/m...video/9723820/

37:00
    Bump.....this is Det. Brent David's actual testimony word for word so anyone can easily find and hear it. He said the trip was approx 3 hours and I am sure he took the same route!!

I will find Spivey's actual testimony for you......no problem. .

Keep getting sidetracked....but I found this on Spivey's trip.....

http://www.wral.com/specialreports/m...young/9753208/

27:00

Becky Holt asks Spivey if he took the drive from Hillsville to Clintwood, (hotel to meeting) and Spivey answers Yes. She asks him how many miles that is, he states 145 miles, she asks him how long it took.......he says 2 and a half hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So, it took him 2.5 hours to drive 145 miles,so, then how in the world did it also take him 2.5 hours to drive from Raleigh to Hillsville which is

170 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is exactly why Det. Brent David's testimony of 3 hours is more believable. JMO
    Last edited by JusticeFever; 07-14-2014 at 06:23 PM.

Doing the mileage /speed / time math

170 miles Hillsville to Raleigh
    Speed limit on highway is 65mph
    170 / 65 = 2.61 hrs

For Hillsville to Raleigh to take 3 hrs, avg speed driven would have to be about 56.5mph.
    Thanks for your links in post 15 to the information about JY's SUV. That clears up a problem for me. 19.5 MPG is really a stretch for a 4.6 V8 but is well within real world figures. I know a lot of people who own both types. I have actually owned one myself and was able to get twenty MPG on the highway at fifty-five miles per hour. Up above that, the gas mileage dropped off rather quickly. The gas receipts that were retrieved from Jason's vehicle and the resulting MPG of 19.5 reflect a very real world scenario.

Highway 52 is in the path that Jason would have taken to Hillsville. It is described as being very hilly. I do not know what the speed limit is, but I would assume 55 for that stretch of road. I am sure that Spivey made it in the time he said that he did. However, I am also sure that he did not obey the posted speed limits in order to do it. Maybe I am wrong. Did he say that he kept to the posted speed limits??? I don't have time right now to check it out.

Glenn

However, I am also sure that he did not obey the posted speed limits in order to do it.
    Please provide a link to the assertion that Spivey did not obey speed limits.

There is a member of WS who also made the exact drive (Raleigh to Hampton Inn) several years ago and posted the drive time. Obeying speed limits as I recall. It took him around 2hrs 40 min.

The point is: JY did have enough time to make the drive both ways, and commit a murder. He had about an hour to work with. The jury determined it was doable. The timeline does not exclude JY having opportunity.

^^^Not sure who you are quoting..... Det. Brent David said the trip took approx 3 hours and
    I provided you with a link to Det. Spivey saying it took him 2.5 hours to drive 145 miles from Hillsville to Clintwood, so I seriously doubt he did the same in the 170 mile trip from Raleigh to Hillsville.
    In fact, it would be impossible.

ETA/ This is not a regular straight stretch of the highway either, it is going through a lot of hills and mountains.

Please provide a link to the assertion that Spivey did not obey speed limits.

There is a member of WS who also made the exact drive (Raleigh to Hampton Inn) several years ago and posted the drive time. Obeying speed limits as I recall. It took him around 2hrs 40 min.

The point is: JY did have enough time to make the drive both ways, and commit a murder. He had about an hour to work with. The jury determined it was doable. The timeline does not exclude JY having opportunity.
    I did not make an assertion. I just said that I am sure that he did not obey the posted speed limits. I could be wrong in this but mathematically I am correct. In order to travel 169 miles in 2.5 hours, one would have to average 67.6 miles per hour. With a maximum speed limit of 65 miles per hour, he would have had to break the speed laws at some point in time. Given the fact that there is a stretch of hilly country and a road where the speed limit is no more than 55 miles per hour, the over the limit speeds on the the 65 mph parts would be even greater. And the gas mileage would have been significantly worse.
    In the EPA tests for vehicles using the highway standard, the maximum speed is sixty MPH and the average is 48.3 MPH. (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml) If you recall, LE used a vehicle similar to Jason's and took the trip but said that they could not duplicate his results. I would like to know just how fast they were traveling.

The more we do the math, the less likely the trip back to Raleigh becomes.

Jason would have had to have purchased additional fuel in addition to that allegedly purchased in King, in order for him to have made that journey. Again, I point out that LE combed the highways and byways trying to find a station where Jason had paid cash for gas. They could not find anything but Gracie. And even then, it is not enough.

Glenn

You're "sure he did not obey the speed limits" but that's not an assertion that he sped? Then how exactly are you sure? Were you in the car with him to witness the drive? Otherwise, it's your opinion and it's based on nothing but wanting the trip to take a full 3 hours.

BTW, did that angel of rule-following, JY , obey all speed limits?

The more we do the math, the more the timeline is exactly as posted above and just as the state proposed. More than 1 person made the drive between Raleigh and Hillsville and it was done more than 1 time. But just to make extra sure, why don't you do this same drive at the same time of night JY did. Report back your time.

LE could drive at as many different speeds they wanted, who was going to pull them over?
    And, I am sure they did, until they got one that just fit!!

Btw, how come they checked airports ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast