CA - School security guard beats & dumps wheelchair bound kid

Lovely, guard is getting support from students.

The boy who was thrown from his wheelchair by an Oakland High School security officer says he wants justice, but some students at the school are defending the guard.

Former security guard Marcell Mitchell, 23, says he's aware of all the support he's receiving at the school, but is not ready to comment at this time.
http://abc7news.com/news/students-defend-guard-who-assaulted-disabled-student/85748/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. It's always interesting when there are two sides - the students who back this resource officer, vs. pretty horrific video.

Interesting. It's always interesting when there are two sides - the students who back this resource officer, vs. pretty horrific video.

Anyone that backs the security guard is on the wrong side. IMO

The 17 year old in the wheelchair was handcuffed for prior conduct with the guard and admitted to spitting on him. The students know the real deal and support the guard. Case closed imo. Not to mention the fact that guards are needed IN the freaking school and that they face violence from students handcuffed in wheelchairs. There's a much bigger problem here then the guard, obviously. jmo

snipped from the link posted above:

Martinez was handcuffed due to a prior altercation with Mitchell and the teen concedes he did spit in the guard's face.

"I was in handcuffs, so that was my only reaction," Martinez said.

Some students at Oakland High School are coming to Mitchell's defense by displaying signs that read "spitting is a crime" and "you provoked this." The students also circulated a petition of support for the fired security guard.

Well, like the guy in the video said, the kids backing the security guard are looking at it from a kid's perspective, and we need to look at it from an adult perspective. Being spit on is one of the ultimate insults in my book, and pushes my buttons more than anything else. But that doesn't mean I get to react by assaulting my students.

The 17 year old in the wheelchair was handcuffed for prior conduct with the guard and admitted to spitting on him. The students know the real deal and support the guard. Case closed imo. Not to mention the fact that guards are needed IN the freaking school and that they face violence from students handcuffed in wheelchairs. There's a much bigger problem here then the guard, obviously. jmo

Martinez was handcuffed due to a prior altercation with Mitchell and the teen concedes he did spit in the guard's face.

Some students at Oakland High School are coming to Mitchell's defense by displaying signs that read "spitting is a crime" and "you provoked this." The students also circulated a petition of support for the fired security guard.
I read the whole article and this happened locally for me. The guard started the incident by pushing the kid out of the way down the hall unprovoked. Since the kid has cerebral palsy, spitting was his only means of protest. These thugs who support the guard assaulting this kid are WRONG!!!!!

If a wheelchair bound student is such an out of control wild & dangerous human being that he requires being handcuffed, that student doesn't belong in public school. He doesn't belong in the hallway. That student should have been arrested.

I will never defend spitting. It is also assaultive behavior.

I find the security guards actions also criminal. I'm glad he was charged.

Another despicable, vile human being, who uses the power he wields on a person unable to defend himself.

At the very least, this was arrested and appropriately charged.

Good. Now they're looking at the other security officer. I'm thinking his s l o w and nonchalant strolling behind Marchell Ernest Mitchell is very telling. Hoping he gets charged and is fired, too.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...mping-Student-From-Wheelchair-261180971.html#

Oh and perhaps if Mitchell hadn't gotten in the student's face, he wouldn't have been spit on? Afterall, he was BEHIND the victim. UGH.

If a wheelchair bound student is such an out of control wild & dangerous human being that he requires being handcuffed, that student doesn't belong in public school. He doesn't belong in the hallway. That student should have been arrested.

I will never defend spitting. It is also assaultive behavior.

I find the security guards actions also criminal. I'm glad he was charged.

I completely agree with all this, except that the student should have been arrested. I don't think the student should have been arrested -[modsnip] . The public shouldn't have to put up with that behavior, and it sounds like the students are well aware of this.

This is the kind of behavior that is usually dealt with in a juvenile criminal facility or usually a mental health facility, and in those cases, the behavior of the security guard would still be criminal.

I read the whole article and this happened locally for me. The guard started the incident by pushing the kid out of the way down the hall unprovoked. Since the kid has cerebral palsy, spitting was his only means of protest. These thugs who support the guard assaulting this kid are WRONG!!!!!

Think there's more to it...why would he be handcuffed if he was just pushed out of the way...and if the kid won't move, why wouldn't the security guard push him out of the way?

ANd...why is a 23 year old a guard at a public school, why not have a police team there?

And ...seems like we are missing part of the story.

The guard was wrong..[modsnip]

There has to be a story behind the guard pushing him down the hall....and yes, the guard should be arrested and not allowed to work with kids, I still have questions about why he was pushed though.

Think there's more to it...why would he be handcuffed if he was just pushed out of the way...and if the kid won't move, why wouldn't the security guard push him out of the way?

ANd...why is a 23 year old a guard at a public school, why not have a police team there?

And ...seems like we are missing part of the story.

The guard was wrong..[modsnip]

There has to be a story behind the guard pushing him down the hall....and yes, the guard should be arrested and not allowed to work with kids, I still have questions about why he was pushed though.

It would be wrong if the security guard physically pushed an able bodied child down the hall. That wheel chair is part of that handicapped students body...security guard had no business putting his hands on that chair and pushing him anywhere.

[modsnip]. IMO

okay, I have let this one simmer a bit before commenting because I wanted to really give it some thought rather than just read the snips and lay out my initial response. I wanted to take in y'all's thoughts and just really consider.

Everyone has the potential to be a jerk. Even a wheelchair bound dude can have a bad attitude. So the spitting, uh uh. Horribly disrespectful.

That said, I view this much like the teacher grabbing the small kiddo by the face. Bottom line, as a security guard and an adult, I hold that guard to a higher standard than some mouthy teen who apparently is not well liked by the student body and who apparently has had some scraps with security in the past.

As a security guard you have to know you are going to be dealing with some kids with a bad attitude, who show disprespect, who want to try to push your buttons. But where an able bodied non wheelchair confined teen male might be considered a physical threat and require hands on force, this kid did not IMO.

So while the guard may have been infuriated, that is sort of what he signed on to put with - ie. its his job to deal with trouble makers wheelchair bound or not and to use appropriate measures to do so.

IMO this was not even close to appropriate.

okay, I have let this one simmer a bit before commenting because I wanted to really give it some thought rather than just read the snips and lay out my initial response. I wanted to take in y'all's thoughts and just really consider.

Everyone has the potential to be a jerk. Even a wheelchair bound dude can have a bad attitude. So the spitting, uh uh. Horribly disrespectful.

That said, I view this much like the teacher grabbing the small kiddo by the face. Bottom line, as a security guard and an adult, I hold that guard to a higher standard than some mouthy teen who apparently is not well liked by the student body and who apparently has had some scraps with security in the past.

As a security guard you have to know you are going to be dealing with some kids with a bad attitude, who show disprespect, who want to try to push your buttons. But where an able bodied non wheelchair confined teen male might be considered a physical threat and require hands on force, this kid did not IMO.

So while the guard may have been infuriated, that is sort of what he signed on to put with - ie. its his job to deal with trouble makers wheelchair bound or not and to use appropriate measures to do so.

IMO this was not even close to appropriate.

ticya, I always enjoy reading your posts. You have a lot of wisdom. This is one of the only times I've ever disagreed with you.

I think in the kindergartner case, that child has complete potential to turn his behavior around and learn to behave within the rules, and live within the mainstream, if SOMEONE would yank him up by the shirt collar and shout in his face and truly get his attention. Sometimes someone has to come along who can get really aggressive with a mainstream child who has never been exposed to real discipline, to get them in line.

In this case, this is a youth in a wheelchair [modsnip] Staff shouldn't abuse clients who are incapable of behaving in a socially acceptable way.

In the kindergartner's case, there is hope, IMHO, that this boy will be able to be taught how to behave [modsnip]

Anyway, Ticya, thanks again for your always interesting posts.

Thanks JeannaT. We have disagreed on a couple of things over the years and had differing POVs but I always appreciate that you and I have been able to do so respectfully when we do.

ticya, I always enjoy reading your posts. You have a lot of wisdom. This is one of the only times I've ever disagreed with you.

I think in the kindergartner case, that child has complete potential to turn his behavior around and learn to behave within the rules, and live within the mainstream, if SOMEONE would yank him up by the shirt collar and shout in his face and truly get his attention. Sometimes someone has to come along who can get really aggressive with a mainstream child who has never been exposed to real discipline, to get them in line.

In this case, this is a youth in a wheelchair [modsnip]

In the kindergartner's case, there is hope, IMHO, that this boy will be able to be taught how to behave [modsnip]

Anyway, Ticya, thanks again for your always interesting posts.

I'm speechless. Absolutely speechless...dumbfounded ...
Wow...just...wow.

Fear, assault and intimidation is not discipline...it's abuse.

I don't understand the adversarial necessity your posts imply between children and adults. They're children. They are not the enemy. They need to be taught with compassion and consistency, not abuse.

http://m.ktvu.com/news/news/local/letter-district-security-guard-attacked-student/nf9Wn/

Dear Oakland High Parents, Caregivers, and Staff,

It is with deep regret that I inform you of a disturbing incident that took place at our school on Monday, May 19. A member of our staff acted in an appalling manner toward one of our students, subjecting that student to physical violence.

The staff member has been arrested and charged with a felony. We consider this behavior completely unacceptable, harmful to our school and community, and traumatic to our students and families. As a leader of our school community I want to share what I can about the event and our response.

Entire letter at the link.

Hey Guys - please be careful how you generalize about others. This case is about the boy in the wheelchair and the security guard. Not the people of Oakland or other children with mental health issues.

Also, please don't blame the victim.

Salem

Post I was referencing has disappeared, ty mods.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back