IL - James Fredrickson, 18 mos, starved to death, Streamwood, 14 Dec 2001

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
A veteran paramedic struggled to hold back tears Tuesday as he described finding the shrunken, emaciated body of 18-month-old James Fredrickson lying on the floor of the Streamwood condominium where the child starved to death.

"It looked like somebody had taken tissue paper and put it over a skeleton," said Streamwood Fire Department paramedic Steve Beach, recalling how malnourished the boy appeared when rescue workers entered the family's home on Dec. 14, 2001, after receiving a 911 call.

The boy weighed only about 101/2 pounds when he died, barely a pound more than when he was born, authorities said.

"This case is about a mother's responsibility to care for her own child," he said, adding the boy starved to death while living in a home "loaded" with food. Instead, Amanda Fredrickson let the baby slowly waste away until he died, Byrne said.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-starved08.html

A former friend of a Streamwood woman charged in the starvation death of her toddler son told jurors Wednesday that six months before the boy died, she repeatedly had warned the mother that her boy was in mortal danger.

Fredrickson told Assistant State's Atty. Shari Chandra that she "mentally gave up" caring for James months before his death, according to the statement, which Chandra read Wednesday in Circuit Judge Thomas Fecarotta Jr.'s Rolling Meadows courtroom.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0506090279jun09,1,6110691.story?coll=chi-newslocal-hed

Defense attorneys contend Fredrickson suffered from such severe depression that she was incapable of caring for James or his 5-year-old sister. Fredrickson, who faces a possible death penalty if convicted of first-degree murder charges, never realized the boy was starving, her attorneys have argued.

Pontrelli testified that after feeding James, she warned Fredrickson that "she needed to take care of her baby or he would die.''

Questioned by defense attorney Susan Smith, Pontrelli said she didn't contact child welfare officials or other authorities despite her concern over James' appearance.

Fredrickson promised then and during several subsequent visits in following weeks that she would take better care of the baby and seek medical help for him, Pontrelli said, adding that she believed Fredrickson.

Earlier Wednesday, prosecutors presented a 10-page written statement in which Fredrickson said the last time she recalled feeding James was three days before he died. She said in the Dec. 16, 2001, statement that she last gave the boy water two days before his death.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-starved09.html

Excuse me, I need to go and have a good cry....I wonder if anyone cried over this childs death.

The "line" that she did not notice that the baby was starving is disgusting. How could anyone not notice when a child is ill and in the process of dying.

Did no one else notice, did they all turn a "blind" eye to a child was only 10 lbs.

My God........why did the friend not report this to the proper authorities. The child could be alive today.

I would starve myself before my child anyday.

Amanda Fredrickson watched her 18-month-old son slowly starve to death, but did nothing except give the boy "just enough food and water to prolong the agony,'' a Cook County prosecutor said as he asked jurors to convict Fredrickson of first-degree murder.

The seven-woman, five-man jury listened, deliberating for nearly four hours late Monday before convicting the Streamwood woman of murder charges in the December 2001 starvation death of her son, James Fredrickson.

Fredrickson, her head bowed forward, sat quietly in the Rolling Meadows courtroom as the Cook County jury delivered its verdict late Monday.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-starved14.html

A Cook County jury found a Streamwood woman guilty of first-degree murder late Monday in the starvation death of her 18-month-old son, rejecting defense arguments that she was too warped by depression to see that the boy was dying.

Prosecutors said Amanda Fredrickson, 27, had "selective depression" that may have kept her from feeding her son, James, in 2001 but did not keep her from going to movies, shopping or to restaurants with a friend.

"This must be some new kind of depression," Assistant State's Atty. Steven Rosenblum said during closing arguments, mocking defense assertions that Fredrickson's depression impaired her ability to function. "Let's call it what it is: selective depression."

Fredrickson's husband, Kristian, pleaded guilty last year to first-degree murder in James' death and is serving a 45-year sentence in Menard Correctional Center.

The jury began deliberating the charges against Amanda Fredrickson about 6:30 p.m. and reached a verdict about four hours later.

A psychologist for the defense testified that Fredrickson had severe depression when the boy was found dead Dec. 14, 2001, her attorney reminded jurors.

Since adolescence, Fredrickson has shown signs of mental illness, periodically neglecting personal hygiene until her teeth turned green, her clothes smelled and her hair was visibly dirty, said lead defense attorney Susan Smith. Fredrickson tried to care for her son but was too depressed, Smith said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0506140126jun14,1,7360459.story?coll=chi-newslocal-hed

Txmom said:
Excuse me, I need to go and have a good cry....I wonder if anyone cried over this childs death.

I did sweetie. I'm thankful that the jury found her guilty of first degree murder. I'm so sick and tired of hearing about parents being too mentally ill to care for their own children.

I am very thankful that the jury found her guilty. I hope that she is also handed a 45 year sentence, without any type of parole. Why dont these men and women who dont want their children turn them over the CPS so that they can be adopted to someone who wants a child? That would be too difficult I suppose. Its easier to murder the child. I am sticking to my belief that FREE tube tying for women and snip snips for men be available.

Propping up photos of James' emaciated body and face, Rosenblum pointed at Fredrickson, who was sobbing, and shouted, "Don't be fooled by her tears."

"The defense wants to say that these are gruesome photos ... but let's remember who was looking at them 24 hours a day, seven days a week," he said. "Where were her tears when her baby was starving?"

:clap:

Crying at times during her court appearance, a Streamwood mother was sentenced Wednesday to 45 years in prison for the starvation death of her toddler son.

Amanda Fredrickson, 28, received the same sentence as her husband, Kristian, who pleaded guilty last year to first-degree murder in the 2001 death of their 18-month-old son, James. Cook County Circuit Judge Thomas Fecarotta Jr. said Amanda Fredrickson's sentence did not intentionally mirror that of her husband, but it was fair.

Proceedings were fairly low-key until a heated exchange between the judge and Fredrickson's attorney, Assistant Public Defender Susan Smith, resulted in Fecarotta expelling her from the Rolling Meadows courtroom for contempt of court.

The incident began when Fecarotta denied Smith's motion for a new trial. She asked the judge to continue the hearing so she could provide more material to back up the motion.

"That issue is over," said Fecarotta, ordering Smith to sit down.

She finally took her chair when a sheriff's deputy was instructed to make her sit down.

Fecarotta called for a short recess and then admonished Smith, "You better get yourself together."

"I am together, Your Honor," Smith replied.

That's when Fecarotta had Smith taken into custody.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ory?coll=chi-newslocal-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

Does anybody know what happened to the 5 year old. Were they starving as well?? Never mind I see she is living with the grandparents. How is it that one child is starved and not both, she knew what she was doing and I was glad to hear her sentence. The "friend" should be liable in some way for not reporting it.

I am sorry but both of these morons should have recieved the same sentence the poor baby got. Sit in a cell with little food to keep your body alive long enough to suffer while you slowly die. That poor baby. I have seen so many things these past couple of months to where I am almost numb to it all. I will definatly be kissing my babies tonight. It just breaks my heart that the little baby was in the floor dead and all they did was cover him up with tissue paper. How can these parents be so cruel. I would die before I let anything happen to one of my kids. I would never eat so they could. These stories are amazing.

Jeana (DP) said:
I did sweetie. I'm thankful that the jury found her guilty of first degree murder. I'm so sick and tired of hearing about parents being too mentally ill to care for their own children.
You and me both! I'll bet she didn't miss a meal during this "stressful depressing" time. :furious:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back