1028 users online (163 members and 865 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MO - Brandon Ellingson, 20, falls off police boat & drowns, Versailles, 31 May 2014

"Sgt. Paul Reinsch of Missouri State Patrol said Ellingson stood up while being transported and stepped to the edge of the boat and then either fell or jumped overboard. Ellingson was wearing a life jacket, but it did not stay on him after he went into the water, Reinsch said."

I just don't understand how his life jacket came off while he was handcuffed.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...zarks/9841321/
    Clear your mind must be, if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot. Opinion only, my posts are.

Clear your mind must be, if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot. Opinion only, my posts are.

I'm saddened and stumped about the life vest coming off.....
    UNLESS the vest was put on AFTER the handcuffs ....
    and that would mean the vest was
    put on improperly.

RIP young man.

It is illegal to transport an arrestee or an inmate over a body of water in handcuffs or shackles in the state of Louisiana.

There is a ferry in south Louisiana near Angola State Prison we used to use. A law was passed that you could not do that any longer unless the inmate was out of handcuffs and shackles. DOC rules are that no inmate will be transported without cuffs and shackles, so there you go.

It is the same with LE river patrols in my state. Should the boat (or ferry) were to sink, the arrestee or inmate would not be able to save themselves. I agree with that law. This incident did not have to happen. No one had to die.

MOO
    Thoughts and prayers for the people of Paris and all of France!

Quote Originally Posted by CHERIE.T View Post
    I'm saddened and stumped about the life vest coming off.....
    UNLESS the vest was put on AFTER the handcuffs ....
    and that would mean the vest was
    put on improperly.

RIP young man.
    If the lifejacket was the "horse collar" style, and not secured properly, I could see how it might "float off" his neck.

Here are images of same.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...=0-0&sp=-1&sk=

What a tremendous tragedy.

kz, i hadn't thought of that type of life jacket, it looks as if you were correct: Ellingson was handcuffed behind his back, officials said. Reinsch said the trooper placed a standard "Level 3" life jacket – the type that resembles a vest and buckles three times in the front – on Ellingson. It came off in the water.

"That is a big part of our investigation," Reinsch said. "To determine how it came off after it was placed on him."

The officer jumped into the water and made several attempts to save Ellingson but couldn't reach him, Reinsch said.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    kz, i hadn't thought of that type of life jacket, it looks as if you were correct: Ellingson was handcuffed behind his back, officials said. Reinsch said the trooper placed a standard "Level 3" life jacket – the type that resembles a vest and buckles three times in the front – on Ellingson. It came off in the water.

"That is a big part of our investigation," Reinsch said. "To determine how it came off after it was placed on him."

The officer jumped into the water and made several attempts to save Ellingson but couldn't reach him, Reinsch said.
    Soooooo the deceased was handcuffed with cuffs behind him and what? The vest was slipped around him? If so, shame on that cop...I hope the young mans family does sue!

Soooooo the deceased was handcuffed with cuffs behind him and what? The vest was slipped around him? If so, shame on that cop...I hope the young mans family does sue!
    Shame on the cop? Seriously? Sue on what grounds? The kid was intoxicated, under age and he may have jumped overboard. It was unfortunate but getting drunk on the water is extremely dangerous.

JMO

Quote Originally Posted by MyBelle View Post
    Shame on the cop? Seriously? Sue on what grounds? The kid was intoxicated, under age and he may have jumped overboard. It was unfortunate but getting drunk on the water is extremely dangerous.

JMO
    <modsnip> I don't get it? Maybe the kids parents should be sued?

However, it does have to be investigated. I do have questions, but the LAST thing that crossed my mind was "sue."
    Last edited by Harmony2; 06-04-2014 at 09:03 AM. Reason: not necessary
    Justice for Trayvon

Quote Originally Posted by MyBelle View Post

JMO
    If this was your son and you found out he was handcuffed and NOT PROPERLY LIFE VESTED would you sit back and accept it?

Make a mental picture....
    A person handcuffed ...with hands behind their back....
    And a life vest merely put around them ...

AND NOT WITH THE PERSONS ARMS THROUGH THE LIFE VEST.... with the life vest just wrapped around them and snapped.

It's called negligence.

If this was your son and you found out he was handcuffed and NOT PROPERLY LIFE VESTED would you sit back and accept it?

AND NOT WITH THE PERSONS ARMS THROUGH THE LIFE VEST.... with the life vest just wrapped around them and snapped.

It's called negligence.
    Exactly. Think of it this way - a driver is arrested for DUI and put in the back of a police cruiser. The officer then drives recklessly through a red light, where the cruiser is struck and the arrested person killed. Because the arrested person was in custody of the police, it was their responsibility to watch over that person and not endanger their life. It's the same circumstance here, where officers had a duty to make sure the arrested person did not go overboard and drown.
    “Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

In no way should any of my statements be construed as legal opinion or advice. While I am a lawyer, I am not a verified poster here at WS. The above statement(s) are an expression of my personal opinion, for entertainment purposes only, and copyright.

Quote Originally Posted by LolaMoon08 View Post
    I am so tired of the sue mentality also? I don't get it? Maybe the kids parents should be sued?

However, it does have to be investigated. I do have questions, but the LAST thing that crossed my mind was "sue."
    Seems naive given the litigious society in which we live. I'm not a big fan of lawsuits, but this situation
    seems to scream for one. With the lawsuit will come an investigation by those outside of the police department. If it lacks merit, hopefully the jury will decide for the defendant. If it does, important changes in policy will result.

Quote Originally Posted by LaLaw2000 View Post
    It is illegal to transport an arrestee or an inmate over a body of water in handcuffs or shackles in the state of Louisiana.

There is a ferry in south Louisiana near Angola State Prison we used to use. A law was passed that you could not do that any longer unless the inmate was out of handcuffs and shackles. DOC rules are that no inmate will be transported without cuffs and shackles, so there you go.

It is the same with LE river patrols in my state. Should the boat (or ferry) were to sink, the arrestee or inmate would not be able to save themselves. I agree with that law. This incident did not have to happen. No one had to die.

MOO
    Reposting as it seems like a few may have missed it. Thanks for the local info LL!
    "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
    - E. B. White

BBM
    Quote Originally Posted by AzPistonsGirl View Post
    Reposting as it seems like a few may have missed it. Thanks for the local info LL!
    IIUC, AzPistonsGirl posted info re Louisiana law.

MO Highway Patrol arrested Iowa man operating boat on Missouri Lake.

Seems like MO law applies, not LA law.

JM2cts.

It's called negligence.
    No, it is not negligence. Did you miss the part about the cop risking his own life trying to save the drunk? The life vest did not kill the guy, the fall or jump into the water killed him. He wouldn't have been in handcuffs if he had not broken the law.

My first reaction as a parent would not be to sue. I'd be more upset that my son did something so obviously reckless and stupid and lost his life.

Underage drinking and water have been a known recipe for disaster forever.

JMO

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast