Identified! CA - Burlingame - WhtFem UP9655, 65-80, May'04 - Anne Rangley Fitzgerald

outofthedark

Lyle Stevik's FB Hostess
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The skeletal remains of a woman were found in a suitcase, which was discovered in a closet by the relatives of the deceased occupant. The bones might be those of his wife, "Anne Fitzgerald" who is known to have died in 1994. There are no known birth, death, or dental records, and her medical records don't have enough information regarding her family background.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/9655
Article: https://identifyus.org/en/medias/full/19566

There are some photos in this article: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...nd-in-closet-likely-2757606.php#photo-2193268

628x471.jpg

Recorded birth info from Massachusetts, Birth Index, 1901-1960 and 1967-1970 about Annie Rangeley Morris

Name: Annie Rangeley Morris
Birth Date: 1913
Birth Place: Medford, Massachusetts, USA
Volume Number: 615
Page Number: 715
Index Volume Number: 88
Reference Number: F63.M362 v.88

Massachusetts, Birth Records, 1840-1915 about Annie Rangeley Morris

Anyone with Ancestry account, it list both parents:

http://interactive.ancestry.com/506...ndiv=1&ml_rpos=9&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnRecord

Recorded birth info from Massachusetts, Birth Index, 1901-1960 and 1967-1970 about Annie Rangeley Morris

Name: Annie Rangeley Morris
Birth Date: 1913
Birth Place: Medford, Massachusetts, USA
Volume Number: 615
Page Number: 715
Index Volume Number: 88
Reference Number: F63.M362 v.88

Massachusetts, Birth Records, 1840-1915 about Annie Rangeley Morris

Anyone with Ancestry account, it list both parents:

http://interactive.ancestry.com/506...ndiv=1&ml_rpos=9&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnRecord

I've found her genealogy and the names of next of kin (nephews through her brother, and maiden names of two female maternal-line cousins in England, for potential mtDNA). Annoyingly, I can't find present-day details for any of them so don't really have much to pass to LE...

I'd post names but don't want innocent people's names all over the web more than they are, would PM someone that's better with present-day people finding?

Per Ancestry:

1948:
Richard and Annie Zavitz lived 2000 24th, SF, CA. He was a salesman and she was a secretary at Brown-Forman Distillery Corp.

1954, she is listed a server:
Name: Richard D Zavitz
Residence Year: 1954
Street address: W1315 18th av
Residence Place: Spokane, Washington
Spouse: Anne R Zavitz
Publication Title: Spokane, Washington, City Directory, 1954

I came across this article http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2004/05/28/skeleton-found-in-burlingame-mans-closet-still-a-mystery/

BURLINGAME — San Mateo County coroner’s deputies aren’t much closer to solving a Burlingame mystery that involves a locked suitcase filled with a woman’s skeleton.
Burlingame police found a handwritten note in 82-year-old’s Douglas McLennan Fitzgerald’s apartment, where the bones, possibly belonging to his deceased wife, were stored.

He died of lung cancer April 28 and was found dead in his apartment by a neighbor. Relatives cleaning the apartment found the suitcase in a closet.
Based on information in the note, police have gleaned information about Anne Rangely Fitzgerald. They say she was born in Boston, Mass., on July 15, 1913, and was educated in England. She married Richard Douglas Zavitz, who died on April 12, 1968. She also worked at Drenison, a manufacturing company in Las Vegas that closed down.

She married Douglas Fitzgerald on June 13, 1975, in Reno, and both lived at Burlingame’s Villa Tuscany apartment complex at 789 El Camino Real for 20 years, Coroner Robert Foucrault said. Before that, she had lived in San Mateo, San Francisco, Southern California and Las Vegas.
Relatives and neighbors said that they knew she died 10 years ago.

But no one has been able to find her birth or death certificates and dental records. Some medical records have been found, but none that can confirm her identity or next of kin, Foucrault said.
“Everything (Burlingame police) have done has come up negative,” Foucrault said. “They’ve researched pretty much everything.”
The Coroner’s Office released photographs of Anne Fitzgerald on Tuesday in the hope someone might recognize her and supply more information.

Douglas Fitzgerald was born July 19, 1924, in Oakland and was reportedly in the military as a clerk-typist. He was honorably discharged, Foucrault said.
He worked at the Laurel Woods Sanitarium, which closed in 1972.
At the time of his death, he had been collecting $556 a month in Social Security.
Friends at Behan’s Irish Pub on Broadway in Burlingame said that although he was a private person, he would sometimes talk about three sons who live on the East Coast. He would talk about his time in the military as a code-breaker during World War II, and that he went to UC Berkeley and majored in English literature. But he also told them that he was born and raised in Millbrae.
He stopped going to the pub a year and a half ago.
At Behans, he never sat down, his friends said.
“He would say, ‘I never sit down, because I’m always looking over my shoulder,'” a man at Behan’s said. “He was controversial, but he was solid and he had a past. He was very tender about his wife.”
A bartender who knew him for 13 years said she often drove him home.
“He was a very jealous and an angry man, but I was fond of him,” she said. “He drank so much that he spent a lot more than he made every day. He would close the bar.”

Clues from the skeleton
The skeleton belonged to a woman estimated to be 70 to 75 years old and about 5 feet 3 inches tall. Signs of trauma, which had been healing at the time of death, were found on the left side of her ribs.

Foucrault hopes that the skeleton will be identified through dental work. In the meantime, he plans to send a bone fragment to the state Department of Justice. They will extract DNA and send it to the missing-persons unit. It could take three months to a year to get the material processed.

Anyone who has information on Anne Fitzgerald, aka Anne Zavitz or Anne Morris, is asked to call the Coroner’s Office at (650) 312-5562 or Burlingame police at (650) 777-4100.

Staff writer Lou Sian also contributed to this report.
Staff writer Christine Morente can be reached at cmorente@sanmateocountytimes.com.
lesnaR:

I found this quote from the article to be interesting

The bones proved to be those of a white woman, about 75 years of age and 5 feet 3 inches to 5 feet 4 inches tall. The left ribs had been injured but were fairly well healed at the time of death. The cause of death was not obvious, but the bones had apparently been buried for years before they were placed in the suitcase.

What I found interesting is they mention that the bones appeared to have been buried some time before being placed in the suitcase. It's mentioned that they lived at the complex for 20 years so that would put it at 1982 and supposedly they said she died 10 years prior to his death so that would be around 1992.

So does that mean she died and he took her out someplace buried her and then went back years later and dug up her bones and put her in the suitcase? Didn't anyone notice? Or did he have the suitcase with him before they moved to the complex and it's some other woman?

The article also mentions he died at 82 in 2004. The whole thing is odd.

It's a very strange story and I gather that LE is not 100% convinced the remains are those of his wife, or maybe that his wife is not who she said she was.

Yes indeed it's strange! And there is mention of a note with or in the suitcase.. oh wait or the wife is not who she said she was.. omg Iam so lost. This really is insane!
It's weird because if they lived in the same place for 20 yrs neighbors must of seen them or known them.

I could just imagine getting that call ...oh hi you are the next in kin to the multi million dollar fortune and your uncle bobs brothers cousins 3 times removed has died..you are the sole survivor .. you go clean out the place and you find a suitcase with some random lady in it:eek:

Well, I think they're pretty sure the woman in the suitcase is the woman he lived with in the apartment. But since they've been unable to confirm any of the details she gave about her birth, background, etc, one might be forgiven for assuming that she was covering up something.

Well, I think they're pretty sure the woman in the suitcase is the woman he lived with in the apartment. But since they've been unable to confirm any of the details she gave about her birth, background, etc, one might be forgiven for assuming that she was covering up something.

Oooooh i got it.. ok she might be covering her identity also.. omg the whole thing is so strange especially the part about the bones were buried for some time and then later put in the suitcase.. where were they buried that nobody noticed ?

Ruleouts:
  • Edrel Pierce
  • Elaine Lehtinen
  • Mae Gebhard
  • Billie Willard

I came across this article Skeleton found in Burlingame man’s closet still a mystery – East Bay Times

BURLINGAME — San Mateo County coroner’s deputies aren’t much closer to solving a Burlingame mystery that involves a locked suitcase filled with a woman’s skeleton.
Burlingame police found a handwritten note in 82-year-old’s Douglas McLennan Fitzgerald’s apartment, where the bones, possibly belonging to his deceased wife, were stored.

He died of lung cancer April 28 and was found dead in his apartment by a neighbor. Relatives cleaning the apartment found the suitcase in a closet.
Based on information in the note, police have gleaned information about Anne Rangely Fitzgerald. They say she was born in Boston, Mass., on July 15, 1913, and was educated in England. She married Richard Douglas Zavitz, who died on April 12, 1968. She also worked at Drenison, a manufacturing company in Las Vegas that closed down.

She married Douglas Fitzgerald on June 13, 1975, in Reno, and both lived at Burlingame’s Villa Tuscany apartment complex at 789 El Camino Real for 20 years, Coroner Robert Foucrault said. Before that, she had lived in San Mateo, San Francisco, Southern California and Las Vegas.
Relatives and neighbors said that they knew she died 10 years ago.

But no one has been able to find her birth or death certificates and dental records. Some medical records have been found, but none that can confirm her identity or next of kin, Foucrault said.
“Everything (Burlingame police) have done has come up negative,” Foucrault said. “They’ve researched pretty much everything.”
The Coroner’s Office released photographs of Anne Fitzgerald on Tuesday in the hope someone might recognize her and supply more information.

Douglas Fitzgerald was born July 19, 1924, in Oakland and was reportedly in the military as a clerk-typist. He was honorably discharged, Foucrault said.
He worked at the Laurel Woods Sanitarium, which closed in 1972.
At the time of his death, he had been collecting $556 a month in Social Security.
Friends at Behan’s Irish Pub on Broadway in Burlingame said that although he was a private person, he would sometimes talk about three sons who live on the East Coast. He would talk about his time in the military as a code-breaker during World War II, and that he went to UC Berkeley and majored in English literature. But he also told them that he was born and raised in Millbrae.
He stopped going to the pub a year and a half ago.
At Behans, he never sat down, his friends said.
“He would say, ‘I never sit down, because I’m always looking over my shoulder,'” a man at Behan’s said. “He was controversial, but he was solid and he had a past. He was very tender about his wife.”
A bartender who knew him for 13 years said she often drove him home.
“He was a very jealous and an angry man, but I was fond of him,” she said. “He drank so much that he spent a lot more than he made every day. He would close the bar.”

Clues from the skeleton
The skeleton belonged to a woman estimated to be 70 to 75 years old and about 5 feet 3 inches tall. Signs of trauma, which had been healing at the time of death, were found on the left side of her ribs.

Foucrault hopes that the skeleton will be identified through dental work. In the meantime, he plans to send a bone fragment to the state Department of Justice. They will extract DNA and send it to the missing-persons unit. It could take three months to a year to get the material processed.

Anyone who has information on Anne Fitzgerald, aka Anne Zavitz or Anne Morris, is asked to call the Coroner’s Office at (650) 312-5562 or Burlingame police at (650) 777-4100.

Staff writer Lou Sian also contributed to this report.
Staff writer Christine Morente can be reached at cmorente@sanmateocountytimes.com.
lesnaR:
Interesting that she had a rib injury that was healing when she died. That, combined with the part about her husband being a "jealous," "angry," "controversial" man who was a heavy drinker, makes me wonder if he abused her. Maybe he went too far one day and ended up killing her and hiding the evidence. When friends / neighbors asked about his wife, he told them she died but never actually reported her death to authorities, for obvious reasons, hence no death certificate.
It's also interesting that he died of lung cancer but his neighbor found him, which indicates to me that nobody was taking care of him (nurse, relatives, etc.). I wonder if his cancer was even treated at all and they only found out he had it after death? Or if he was diagnosed / treated but they told him it was terminal and instead of opting for hospice or an in-home nurse, he just went home alone?

It sounds like he buried her somewhere, and likely fearful her remains would be found (that could have been all in his mind or perhaps construction etc started near that site if it was previously remote), went and dug them up after he thought there would be no active decomposition. He was apparently always looking over his shoulder. Hmm. I wonder why. He apparently loved her, but it seems things went wrong. Maybe he felt her remains were safer with him and wanted them nearby if he was dealing with regrets/guilt about her death.

I would think any living children of a sibling of hers could provide DNA or even their children or cousins of hers, as well. Have they ever been contacted? Genetic genealogy is often useful in cases like this and may solve this one, but if there's known closer relatives living, then they should definitely be contacted first. She must not have kept in contact with her family if they didn't notice that they stopped hearing from her right away. He possibly told them later and perhaps claimed she was cremated with no services or something. I suppose they would just have taken his word for it as she was elderly. He is long deceased and it's hard to prove anything for certain now besides her identity (hopefully), but he sure sounds suspicious.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back