804 users online (144 members and 660 guests)  

Websleuths News

Maryland school withholds diploma over bolo tie

School officials are withholding a 17-year-old boy's diploma for wearing a bolo tie under his graduation gown.
    Thomas Benya said he prefers the string bolo ties over traditional knotted ties to reflect his American Indian heritage.

But officials from Maurice J. McDonough High School in suburban Washington said they warned him beforehand that a bolo violated the dress code for the event, held Wednesday for about 250 students.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...e_x.htm?csp=34
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    School officials are withholding a 17-year-old boy's diploma for wearing a bolo tie under his graduation gown.
    Thomas Benya said he prefers the string bolo ties over traditional knotted ties to reflect his American Indian heritage.

But officials from Maurice J. McDonough High School in suburban Washington said they warned him beforehand that a bolo violated the dress code for the event, held Wednesday for about 250 students.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...e_x.htm?csp=34
    I believe in being respectful to a schools regulations, but I'm a little puzzled why they would not consider a bolo tie a tie, see the key word in the description is tie ... bolo ... tie