Verified Insider
Reaction score
MW5FzXe.jpg
tK3Ggd1.jpg

Shirley and Russell Dermond

Missing wife of decapitated Georgia man found dead in lake
By Chelsea J. Carter and AnneClaire Stapleton, CNN
updated 10:54 PM EDT, Fri May 16, 2014

Shirley Dermond's body was found in Lake Oconee, south of Athens, Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills told reporters Friday.

"We now, unfortunately, know that Shirley Dermond was murdered," Sills said. Sills declined to discuss the condition of the body other than to say, "the head was not removed or anything like that.

"We haven't even had a funeral for Russell because their kids wanted to wait. Now that we know about Shirley, we will start planning the funeral services for both.

GA GA - Shirley Dermond, 87, Putnam County **Media Links***NO DISCUSSION*** - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4

Thread #5

REMINDER

• We do not sleuth individuals who have not been named by law enforcement as suspects or persons of interest.
  • We do not link to social media profiles (Facebook, Twitter) of persons who have not been indicated as suspects/POI's by LE.
  • We do not link to a social media page unless we are 100% certain it belongs to the suspect/victim.
  • We never post the name of a private individual who has not been named in the media. Even then, unless s/he's a major player, initials should be used in place of full names.
  • With the exception of a victim, we never post the full name of a minor.
  • Linking to social media pages (Facebook, Twitter) is allowed for these four categories: Victims, Suspects, MSM and LE.
  • FACTS must be accompanied by a link to an appropriate source, i.e., MSM, LE. Blogs are not MSM.
  • If you can't link it, you can't post it.
  • RUMORS are not allowed to be posted.
  • Any exceptions to the rule MUST be mod-approved.
  • If you don't think you should post it, then DON'T.

Questions about the rules or moderator decisions should be addressed to a mod in a pm.

If you see a post that violates TOS, please do not quote it. Alert the post ASAP so a mod can handle the problem.

Please continue the discussion here.

With a 3-4 day window the entamologists can narrow down the time death to with a few hours usually.

All posts are my opinion only. Sent via Tapatalk

With a 3-4 day window the entamologists can narrow down the time death to with a few hours usually.

Good morning all! :seeya: I think it all went down Friday night. Perp/perps might have planned to cut both bodies up, but abandoned the idea when the head didn't come off so easy. Or they were interrupted. What time were the Dermonds expected at the KD party?

How does one judge how long one's body has been in the water? Sheriff Sills said they were expecting Mrs. D's body to surface the Saturday after Mr. D was found or around that time so I assume they were thinking she was killed on Friday night or early Sat morning with Mr. D. It was a week later, so the perps must have really weighted her down, but she still escaped. Didn't intend on her being found. Never discount a determined fisherman. Give him the reward I say for finding her body. They likely got hair and fibers from her body if there was duct tape involved. She may have given up more DNA evidence than Mr. D especially if her death wasn't planned.

Off to look for a link. BBL! :seeya:

Guess who has (or would have had) a birthday tomorrow. Mr. D.
Positive thoughts!

FYI: Mr D's Birthday June, 06, 2014
Mr Russel Dermond was a WW II Vet(Navy)...

The Battle of Normandy was fought in World War II on June 06, 1944.

BELMONT STAKES this weekend..
Espinoza likes Triple Crown chances on 3-5 favorite Chrome
USA TODAY ‎- 3 hours ago
The Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes winner is the 3-to-5 ... CALIFORNIA CHROME
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lifornia-chrome-belmont-triple-crown/9954947/

Sounds like Sills is throwing out a few different words either to change his prior stories or to anger thr perps. IMO

Now the perps are hoodlums. Sills previous remarks of the perp most likely living in the GW neighborhood and now being called a hoodlum should point the person out in a minute. I doubt there is any one that fit this description in that neighborhood. Maybe an older son, still living at home, spoiled little rich boy, - in this case, many people know about him, have they spoken up?

Another statement Sills made is he has forensic of fingerprints, hair, fibers, and other things they can't talk about. My question to him is, but do any of these items belong to the murderer? The D's daughter and granddaughter had been there the week before for Easter so their DNA would be all mixed in the house too. I just question that if Sills has all this info from the perp, with the FBI abilities to analyze every thread down to the manufacturer, then their investigation ought to being getting them close to the perp.

Also, to be subpoenaing documents, LE is on at least one person's trail. JMO

I don't know if this has been linked or not but it needs to be on the new thread anyway. I was stunned that Sills confirmed two of my theories that I have had from the very beginning. LOL!

1. Killer used two different weapons.
2. Cutting Russ' head off was done for a diversionary tactic.

Posted: 7:15 p.m. Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills told Winne that he has evidence indicating the killer used two different weapons during last month’s slayings. Sills says physical evidence points to a strong likelihood that the Dermonds died in different ways and that the killer, or killers, used a different kind of weapon to kill 88-year-old Russell Dermond than to kill 87-year-old Shirley Dermond.

“I don’t believe they were killed with the same weapon, no,” said Sills. “I won’t elaborate on what the murder weapons were.”

“This is a very difficult case, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have forensic evidence. We’re running down leads today,” said Sills. “We’ve got fingerprints, we’ve got hairs, we’ve got fibers, we’ve got all matter of forensic evidence that we’ve collected from the house.”

Sills said they’ve also collected several other items of significance to the case that he can’t talk about.

"What's in my heart is finding out who killed these people,” said Sills

Sills says he believes whoever killed the Dermonds left Russell Dermond’s headless body where it would be found, but never planned for Shirley Dermond’s remains to float to the surface of the lake and be discovered.

“I think it was a matter just to distract us, to concentrate our attention towards the whereabouts of Mrs. Dermond; whether we suspected her to be a suspect or we suspected that she had been abducted,” said Sills.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/exclusive-sheriff-says-reynolds-plantation-couple-/ngDzD/

Sounds like Sills is throwing out a few different words either to change his prior stories or to anger thr perps. IMO

Now the perps are hoodlums. Sills previous remarks of the perp most likely living in the GW neighborhood and now being called a hoodlum should point the person out in a minute. I doubt there is any one that fit this description in that neighborhood. Maybe an older son, still living at home, spoiled little rich boy, - in this case, many people know about him, have they spoken up?

Another statement Sills made is he has forensic of fingerprints, hair, fibers, and other things they can't talk about. My question to him is, but do any of these items belong to the murderer? The D's daughter and granddaughter had been there the week before for Easter so their DNA would be all mixed in the house too. I just question that if Sills has all this info from the perp, with the FBI abilities to analyze every thread down to the manufacturer, then their investigation ought to being getting them close to the perp.

Also, to be subpoenaing documents, LE is on at least one person's trail. JMO

I think Sills thinks anyone that murders two elderly people are hoodlums.

Or he may be trying to insult the intelligence of the real killer by calling him a mere hoodlum.

I don't think he is hot on one persons trail. In investigations like this countless subpoenas are issued in a case. Just wait until we see how many subpoenas were issued in Holly Bobo's case and it took them three years to finally arrest the suspects.

IMO

This is interesting, wonder how Sills would know that two different weapons were used, but also why would he disclose this ? I stand by my (humble) opinion that this is a mob/cartel hit and the killers will never be caught. Some of these other theories thrown out here are interesting to consider /read, but way beyond credible.

Did anyone catch the comment that Sills searched the house again yesterday? Did I hear that right??

Just to elaborate on my earlier comment, it was not meant to be counterproductive. My feeling is that the specific person of interest in this case will not personally donate to the reward fund. My opinion is that whatever business they are associated with as a whole will donate, because they knew and cared for the Dermonds. The business as a whole would have no idea that anything might be off in their financial books and my post most certainly wouldn't deter them from contributing to the reward fund.

It is also entirely possible LE already has all the records they need thru subpoenas (most of which don't even have to go before a judge). Maybe they just need a transfer from a specific bank account to another account to prove financial channel or ownership for some piece of evidence in the case. Like I said, I highly doubt the killer as an individual would donate to the fund. But I think he may be up the creek without a paddle when his associates do...

I was thinking this morning I hope Sheriff Sills has a sit down with Mrs. Dermond's bridge ladies.

In my bridge club we know everything about each other. Kids, grandkids, neighbors and of course husbands.

I think the bridge club might have much to say...if asked!

Loose lips sink ships.

I think the reward is to jog the memory of someone who may think back to a conversation MANY years ago. A conversation with someone at a party, a bar, a house while the drunk or high guy was watching "Silence of the Lambs" or " Very Bad Things" or playing Dungeons and Dragons or listening to death metal. You know, one of those conversations you attribute to the "alcohol talking."
Former business associate, ex employee, past acquaintance. The PAST. Just my thoughts.

And IMO it was no accident Mark Winne was the only reporter on the boat with the sheriff yesterday. They go back to the Nuwabian days.

This is interesting, wonder how Sills would know that two different weapons were used, but also why would he disclose this ?

SNIP .

Ummm ...obviously a knife to cut throat and blunt object to Mrs D = two weapons. Why not state the obvious ?

Sills says he believes whoever killed the Dermonds left Russell Dermond’s headless body where it would be found, but never planned for Shirley Dermond’s remains to float to the surface of the lake and be discovered.

“I think it was a matter just to distract us, to concentrate our attention towards the whereabouts of Mrs. Dermond; whether we suspected her to be a suspect or we suspected that she had been abducted,” said Sills.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/exclusive-sheriff-says-reynolds-plantation-couple-/ngDzD/

RSBM
So this pretty much says that Mrs. D was weighted down or tied to something in the water. If that's the case, then a theory of randomness goes out the window. If it were a case of a random thrill kill, why would the killer care if she were found? Why go through the trouble of weighing her down? And why go through the trouble of putting her in the lake to begin with.

MOO

Ummm ...obviously a knife to cut throat and blunt object to Mrs D = two weapons. Why not state the obvious ?

Not obvious IMO. Didn't the coroner state Mr. D's COD was head trauma?

MOO

Did anyone catch the comment that Sills searched the house again yesterday? Did I hear that right??B]

Just to elaborate on my earlier comment, it was not meant to be counterproductive. My feeling is that the specific person of interest in this case will not personally donate to the reward fund. My opinion is that whatever business they are associated with as a whole will donate, because they knew and cared for the Dermonds. The business as a whole would have no idea that anything might be off in their financial books and my post most certainly wouldn't deter them from contributing to the reward fund.

It is also entirely possible LE already has all the records they need thru subpoenas (most of which don't even have to go before a judge). Maybe they just need a transfer from a specific bank account to another account to prove financial channel or ownership for some piece of evidence in the case. Like I said, I highly doubt the killer as an individual would donate to the fund. But I think he may be up the creek without a paddle when his associates do...

Yes, I heard that,too. I think somebody remembered something was missing, something that could be considered a weapon. Maybe people were looking at family photos or maybe the Ds had taken a video of the house for insurance purposes and someone- friend or family member- realized something was missing- statue, cane, walker, fireplace tool, tool in garage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77