89 yr old D Day vet found, at D Day commemoration

zwiebel

Reaction score
A 89 year-old, D-Day veteran, missing from a care home in Hove, UK, has been found.

At the WW2, D-Day commemorations in Normandy, France.

Searchers missed a clue - he was last seen wearing all his medals, and a raincoat.

'Following a fruitless search, the nursing home received a call from a younger veteran at about 10.30pm to say that he had met the missing pensioner on a coach on the way to France and that they were safe and well in a hotel in Ouistreham, France.'

We should have known sir.....we should have known.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-reported-missing-from-care-home-9501638.html

I love this man's determination. They truly are 'The Greatest Generation'

A tweet too good not to be mentioned:

Dean Burnett @garwboy · 6 jun.

I like the 90yo veteran told he couldn't go to #DDay70 but went anyway. The Axis forces couldn't stop this guy, a nursing home has no chance

That sums it up neatly.

Once you get to the bus stop with all your palls, no one will leave you behind. Just be there at the right moment, that is all it takes.
Reminds me of a book called The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared but I like this one better!

:drumroll:

More to this story:

A Hero's Welcome:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/.../Heros-welcome-for-runaway-D-Day-veteran.html

It emerged yesterday that in Portsmouth Mr Jordan had bumped into a group of fellow veterans, coincidentally from Brighton, who took him under their wing and accompanied him to the commemorative events, where a gathering of world leaders, including President Barack Obama, David Cameron, Vladimir Putin and Francoise Holland, the French President, paid tribute to the valour and heroism of those who fought and fell during the invasion.

What a guy! (there is more at the link)

Peter Curtice, the chief executive of Gracewell Healthcare, which runs The Pines, said: “On one occasion Bernie’s forced a U-boat submarine to the surface. He boarded it along with other men from his ship and captured one of the enigma coding machines the Germans were using.”

It is thought the capture of the machine by Mr Jordan and his comrades will have given the British vital information in helping to break the secret signal codes being used by the German fleet to communicate.

“We are all in awe of what men like Bernie did during the war for all our sakes,” added Mr Curtice.

God Bless this man and his determination to commemorate the 70th anniversary of D-Day!

:bow:

Gotta love that guy!! Stories like this make my day. I hope he had a blast and enjoyed the good food and comraderie.

I'd do it again!

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/07/d-day-veteran-france-anniversary-bernard-jordan

Staff had tried, and failed, to get Jordan a place on a Royal British Legion trip to the 70th anniversary of the D-day landings – he took part in Operation Overlord as a Royal Navy officer. So on Thursday morning, wearing a grey raincoat to hide the medals pinned to his best suit, he slipped out of the home, headed for Brighton station and caught a train to Portsmouth.

On the dockside he found a party of veterans and hitched a ride on a ferry. By the time staff called Sussex police over their missing resident, Jordan had checked into a hotel in Ouistreham. (...)

Next week marks Jordan's 90th birthday, but he intends to be back in Normandy for 6 June 2015. (...)

Steve Tuckwell, of Brittany Ferries, said Jordan enjoyed a fried breakfast during the seven-hour crossing. "For a 90-year-old man, he had a healthy appetite. He's a tremendous fellow, we loved having him on board. He was picked up by one of our staff who found him wandering around, she took him under her wing, took him up to the bridge and treated him royally, and he won the hearts of the crew. We adopted him as an honorary veteran and we will give him free travel to the Normandy beaches for the rest of his life. He's a lovely, lovely guy: when he came off, the crew all clapped him."

He said that Jordan met a group of singers called the Candy Girls during the crossing and added: "He's got a lot of charm with the ladies, but I understand he has a wife."

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

Okay, so his birthday is next week, and somebodies on twitter are suggesting that we all send him a birthday card. The adress is no secret, just google The Pines in Hove UK, the place is mentioned in all the MSM. Don't forget the postal code, BN3 1PA, this is important.

I just sent my card and included mrs Jordan in my best wishes. She seems to have known all about it all along....

When I live to celebrate my 90th birthday, I hope to slip away to France as well.

:loveyou: :loveyou:

Do take a look at the Daily Mail, they have the story in his own words, plus many pictures:
He explained: ‘In the months before this year’s anniversary, I had been trying to get on an official trip to Normandy and my care home staff were helping me, but I didn’t have the necessary security passes.

‘I thought that was that. Everyone had done their best for me. The staff at the care home had tried very hard to get me on an official trip.

‘But then the day before D-Day, I saw all the TV coverage and thought I had to go to Normandy anyway and be part of it. I was naughty and secretive, I didn’t tell the care home staff what I was planning to do. I only told my wife Irene who is in the home with me and knows what I’m like. I swore her to secrecy and told her where I was going.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Jordan-tells-amazing-story.html#ixzz3457spTMc

After a continental breakfast at Le Cosy Hotel in Ouistreham, he visited Le Grand Bunker with the Orrells, then sunned himself at one of the seafront cafes, where he enjoyed a beer.

There was no shortage of attention from pretty young women – as our photographs show.
'I can be very secretive when I want to be and when I set my mind to do something, I do it. This is what us Normandy veterans are like'
Bernard Jordan

He was also interviewed by a Slovakian television crew about his memories.

He told them he thought it was ‘most unfair’ that France was occupied in the war, and that he liked French people.

Then, in perhaps the most audacious manoeuvre of his adventure, Mr Jordan decided to take a look at the official commemorative event taking place in Ouistreham.

Despite lacking any accreditation whatsoever, he strolled past supposedly tight security into the main arena itself, only 100 yards away from where the Queen would sit, alongside Barack Obama, Vladimir Putin and other world leaders.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Jordan-tells-amazing-story.html#ixzz3458qbLSm

BBM

Care Home Escapee Veteran Receives 2,500 Birthday Cards

http://forces.tv/00019146

A war veteran who turned up in Normandy after he was reported missing from his care home in England said he was overwhelmed by the number of cards and gifts he had received for his 90th birthday.

The former mayor of Hove said he wanted to thank everyone for their good wishes after being inundated with at least 2,500 birthday cards from around the world following his Normandy adventure.

Mr Jordan said: "I just can't believe it. It's quite overwhelming to be honest.

"I want to thank everyone who sent me a card or a gift. Sadly I can't thank everyone in person so I hope they get this message.

"I'm just one man and I'm nothing special. Anyone would think I'd defeated Hitler on my own.

"There were a lot of other people on the beaches of Normandy that day, this lovely attention is for them really, not me."

Attachments

• BqQzlGvIEAAsExs.jpg
    BqQzlGvIEAAsExs.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 56
FAREWELL TO THE GREAT ESCAPER

Daily Mail reports:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...reat-Escaper-Bernard-Jordan-dies-aged-90.html

A war veteran who broke out of his care home to attend the 70th anniversary D-Day commemorations in France has died aged 90.

Bernard Jordan - dubbed the Great Escaper after his cross-Channel adventure last year - died peacefully in hospital.

His death was announced in a statement by Gracewell Healthcare, which runs The Pines care home in Hove, East Sussex, where Mr Jordan - known as Bernie - lived.

BBM

:uk::star: :rose:

Bless him. Rest in peace Bernard Jordan.

Upthread, ZaZara mentioned how this story was reminiscent of the book, 'The 100-year-old who climbed out the window and disappeared'. I just read it this week. It's a fantastically eccentric, uplifting story. Just like Bernard's.

'Asked why he travelled across to Normandy, Mr Jordan, said: "My thoughts were with my mates who had been killed.

"I was going across to pay my respects. I was a bit off course but I got there."

Mr Jordan, a former mayor of Hove, was honoured "in recognition of eminent past services" to Hove Borough Council in July.

He was made an honorary alderman of Brighton and Hove and called "a living legend" by the mayor, Brian Fitch.

Councillor Fitch said: "I will remember Bernie as a hard-working politician, as a great mayor of the city, and as someone who helped people.'

Condolences also to Mrs Jordan, who survives her husband.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-30699446

Attachments

• _75363531_022572902-1.jpg
    _75363531_022572902-1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 36
Sadly/amazingly - Bernards wife has died - a week after him.

Brighton and Hove mayor Brian Fitch paid tribute to Mrs Jordan. He said: "They were a very close couple who will both be sadly missed. Irene went into the care home first after Bernie had looked after her at home, so it came as a bit of a shock that he died first. They had been married for more than 50 years and were a devoted couple. After he had gone, she probably gave up the will. They were religious people who are now reunited together."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ome-D-Day-dies-just-days-beloved-husband.html

RIP to them both :(

Sadly/amazingly - Bernards wife has died - a week after him.

Brighton and Hove mayor Brian Fitch paid tribute to Mrs Jordan. He said: "They were a very close couple who will both be sadly missed. Irene went into the care home first after Bernie had looked after her at home, so it came as a bit of a shock that he died first. They had been married for more than 50 years and were a devoted couple. After he had gone, she probably gave up the will. They were religious people who are now reunited together."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ome-D-Day-dies-just-days-beloved-husband.html

RIP to them both :(

Oh! How sad, and how beautiful at the same time. May they meet again and rest in peace.

:rose:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back