715 users online (100 members and 615 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

WI - 12-Year-Old Girls Stab Friend 19 Times for Slenderman, #2

Police say two 12-year-old girls lured a friend into some woods in southeastern Wisconsin where one of them held her down as the other stabbed her 19 times.

The 12-year-old victim survived the attack on Saturday in Waukesha and police say her condition is stable.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/1...times-23959855
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

WI - 12-Year-Old Girls Stab Friend 19 Times for Slenderman, #2

Please continue here.

Salem

Please continue here and remember the rules. You can find them right here:

The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

AND don't overlook these!!!!

Victim Friendly

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way and ONLY IF IT IS RELEVANT TO THE CASE. Additionally, sleuthing family members that are not suspect is not allowed. Don't make random accusations or post personal information (even if it is public) like parking tickets, address, or first and last names of all their relatives and their neighbors. Also, never "bash" or attack them, or accuse them of involvement. However that does not mean that family members cannot come into discussion as the facts and issues of the case are discussed.

Social Networks

Regarding Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and other social networking or blog websites: Links may be used to direct posters to view something on a social networking page. But postings on social networking sites are not considered fact; they are rumor. Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed. Paraphrasing is okay. (Exception: If the Twitter or Facebook post belongs to a verified news station, it may be copied. But a link should still be provided.)

Also, social networking pages may only be linked if they are directly related to a case, i.e. the victim or suspect. We don't want to post to someone's mother, brother, employer, milkman, or postal carrier just because they know the main player. We also NEVER link to minor's pages (unless they are the victim or a perp charged as an adult). And be sure that the page actually belongs to the person being discussed. Do not link to someone if you are not 100% sure it is the correct person. And if a social networking is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

MINORS: Websleuths.com™ does not allow the naming of, or photographs of, minors (children under the age of 18) on the Site unless the child is a missing or deceased person or where law enforcement has identified the minor as a perpetrator of a crime and the minor will be tried as an adult. If a missing child is found and it is learned that such minor was the victim of child exploitation, references to the child’s name and likeness will be removed, and further posting of such information will not be allowed. Unless the minors are the victims, please do not post their name, only their initials.

Thanks.
    Thanks everybody.

Salem

Thread #1
    Last edited by KateB; 05-26-2015 at 12:42 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

thanks Salem. I will now begin to try to reconstruct the post that was lost when you closed the other thread, lol.

Just kidding, appreciate the new thread start. My own bad for mot copying before hitting submit.

Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi I Stand With Standing Rock

An Ohio mother says her 13-year-old stabbed her multiple times to please Slender Man - the same fictional horror character that allegedly inspired a grisly knife attack in Wisconsin last week.

The resident of Hamilton County, who has not been publicly named, told the station WLWT that her daughter was obsessed with the ghoulish Internet boogyman.

According to the parent, the 13-year-old girl has been suffering from longstanding mental problems, but she never imagined the child would try to harm her.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz344YXD01A

(Thanks, Salem!)

Marking my spot.

^ After that article I'm now imagining Westboro picketers with pitchforks and blazing torches, hunting Slenderman.

I know which of those I find scarier.

Note though, that girl had existing mental problems. Did no-one think to turn her internets off? Seriously, the last activity I'd allow for a mentally troubled tween.

I think these two girls created slenderman fantasy for themselves as a way to further isolate from others around them. There is a certain power in sharing a secret at that age. Especially one that seems to convey some special-ness, some more-ness to the participants than their peer group.

One thing that I clearly recall about being that age is the sense of having zero power and zero worth. Of trying to figure out where and how I fit into my peer group. It is a rough time hormonally and mentally.

I think one more dominant personality who felt "apart" from her peers collided with one more passive personality who also felt "apart" from her peer group to create this "perfect" partnership of two.

They immerse themselves in this mythos they create around becoming proxies for this fictional construct because while doing so it gives them an illusion of power. Heady stuff for two 12 year olds trying to find their place in the world.

I don't know that they truly believed their own fantasy construction. But I do believe that while indulging in it it fed a need in them, to feel special, to feel "more" than their peers. I think that even as they knew that slenderman was not real and there was no mansion in the woods, no power to be gained, they were addicted to the rush of superior feeling that continuing to feed the fantasy gave them.

I believe they became addicted in a way to feeling special over their shared secret fantasy but just like with any other addiction - they had to continue to escalate to feed teh need, to get the rush, etc.

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

According to the parent, the 13-year-old girl has been suffering from longstanding mental problems, but she never imagined the child would try to harm her.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz344ccZGac

regarding the 13 year old attacking her mother in OH: the BBM and yet she was still allowed access to the area she could access and feed these fantasies? ie. the web?

The OH mom may have only found out about the slenderman fascination after the fact but she knew her daughter was obsessed with demons etc and had serious mental health issues and still the child's activities were not monitored closely enough that the depth of her obsessions were not known til after the attack? What is wrong with this picture? MOO. At the very least, this recent outbreak of slenderman attacks should get parents everywhere looking more closely at their kids' online activities. (I Hope)

Quote Originally Posted by Ausgirl View Post
    ^ After that article I'm now imagining Westboro picketers with pitchforks and blazing torches, hunting Slenderman.

I know which of those I find scarier.

Note though, that girl had existing mental problems. Did no-one think to turn her internets off? Seriously, the last activity I'd allow for a mentally troubled tween.

I'm going to guess that the daughter saw and heard the story about the WI case by way of overhearing/seeing her mom watching the news and this is a copy cat case. I find it interesting mom only noticed her daughters writing and drawings after last weekends WI case.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by tlcya View Post

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz344ccZGac

regarding the 13 year old attacking her mother in OH: the BBM and yet she was still allowed access to the area she could access and feed these fantasies? ie. the web?

The OH mom may have only found out about the slenderman fascination after the fact but she knew her daughter was obsessed with demons etc and had serious mental health issues and still the child's activities were not monitored closely enough that the depth of her obsessions were not known til after the attack? What is wrong with this picture? MOO. At the very least, this recent outbreak of slenderman attacks should get parents everywhere looking more closely at their kids' online activities. (I Hope)

I had the same thoughts, but then wondered if this is a means for mom to seek out additional help for her daughter if she is having difficulties with her childs mental health treatment. It's not like we have great MH care in the US. But that's a whole nother topic.......
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

I honestly don't think every parent needs to worry to the extent of helicoptering. I feel it's also harmful to act as if your kids don't deserve trust, or deserve to be babied well into teenage years.

But it's good sense, and being a good parent, to restrict/cut net access to kids who are mentally unstable or underdeveloped, especially if they can't be supervised.

I am no helicopter and agree with Aus that too much can be just as damaging.

But I know how to check and track my kids' footprints and search histories. They do not even know I am doing it half the time but I am always there, watching, even when they do not know. How else will I know see a red flag waving if I am not watching for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    I'm going to guess that the daughter saw and heard the story about the WI case by way of overhearing/seeing her mom watching the news and this is a copy cat case. I find it interesting mom only noticed her daughters writing and drawings after last weekends WI case.
    From what I can tell, the Ohio event happened -before- the Wisconsin attack, but the mother only noticed the Slenderman/demon art after she saw that on the news.

The demon pictured in the article, mind you, is bright pink and anime-cute. Hardly cause to reach for the exorcism hotline.

This is something I know, from personal experience: horror-art and dark themed books and films can actually be very therapeutic for troubled kids, too. It's a way of expressing all the fear and horror inside, and making it something creative and positive. It was my crutch, through my horrible childhood. I hate to think where I'd have been without that creative outlet.

But yeah, mentally ill children need to be supervised. That's a whole different kettle of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by tlcya View Post
    I think these two girls created slenderman fantasy for themselves as a way to further isolate from others around them. There is a certain power in sharing a secret at that age. Especially one that seems to convey some special-ness, some more-ness to the participants than their peer group.
    rsbm

Just wanted to say what a great post that was, tlcya. It makes perfect sense.

Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast