1260 users online (245 members and 1015 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausgirl View Post
    I am so hoping all those forensic psychs hanging around this case get to do some studies on them, as I for sure would love to know what made them tick.
    RSBM and the computer and electronic device forensics. I am very interested in evaluations of both.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Quote Originally Posted by tlcya View Post
    from what I read in several of the articles on this case the two 12 year old perps lived in the same apartment complex. A sort of built in BFF situation in the making.

I am assuming that contributed to them being able to immerse themselves into this fantasy together. The proximity made it possible for them to be near constant companions if they were so inclined. I have no link or facts to back up the speculation that their proximity (living in same apartment complex) contributed but I suspect that it did as it gave them much more opportunity to spend time together, to the exclusion of other friends, which further fed their isolation and the unhealthy co-dependency where validation came only from one another or that validation was the most important type.
    BBM. I actually think that's the real motive. There wasn't room for her anymore, they wanted her gone. We've seen it before!

A 12 year old is not going to outsmart forensic psychologists. I do think they will find she/they are mentally disturbed. I don't think they will find they were delusional and killed for slenderman.

yes, we have seen it before - the senseless killing of Skylar Neese, for instance. A Triad of friends that only ultimately had room for two in the sick twisted minds of two of the three girls. Jealousy, feeling threatened, status, all play a huge role in teen girl dynamics unchecked. MOO Translate that situation to preteen girls and I could see it being a factor there as well.

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

Speaking of callous...

And this is why I have to wonder if some older, sociopathic so-and-so egged the girls' fantasy on in one of those many chatrooms out there for Slenderman fans.

When I speak about trolls, I'm in NO doubt that some of them are very capable of a sustained, long-term bout of messing with younger kids' heads.

Think about those sods on 4chan planning to troll the victim's family with messages from a 'Slenderman cult'. Is this something? Is there a 'troll' cult, making fun of kids who want to believe?

Think about the mind of a person capable of the words below, tweeted to one of the attacker's accounts. And imagine them in a chatroom with 12 year olds..

[modsnip]
    Last edited by Salem; 06-09-2014 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Screenshots are not allowed, thanks, and you forgot your link.

The quotes from the slenderman twitter account bother me greatly. Assuming this is an adult? no idea if it is. But come on, there needs to be some sort of social responsibility by an adult. Or at least there should

Quote Originally Posted by appleeye View Post
    The quotes from the slenderman twitter account bother me greatly. Assuming this is an adult? no idea if it is. But come on, there needs to be some sort of social responsibility by an adult. Or at least there should
    I think some people get online and lose all sense of decency. People get very brave, when they think there are no consequences.

Just catching up on the threads from over the weekend. You all make salient points and bring a lot of great info.

As an aside, I was reading something on the Huffington Post and there was a cute link to things kids had written either to their parents or in school. All were Under the age of nine.

In a class assignment, One child (8) had to list, in 2 columns, things that were real and things that were not real. He listed video games titles and cartoons shows and FOX NEWS as not real and in the real column wrote BBC and ESPN.

This suggests to me that children very early on are being taught the difference between reality and fantasy. This gave a lot of credence to the argument that Slenderman was an excuse, rather than the cause. IIRC, the 2 girls did not go and seek Slenderman's mansion in the woods. They were found walking along a highway. JMV

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

"It's in the brain"

Slender Man's Seductive Power for Kids: It's in the Brain

By Dr. Steven C. Schlozman

The stabbing of a 12-year-old girl in Milwaukee was horrific. But in looking for an explanation for the attempted murder by two other adolescent girls, there have been attempts to vilify Internet memes such as “Slender Man” as putative causes for this kind, or any kind, of violence.

We have to remember that the boogeyman will always play a pivotal role in the normal development of children and adolescents — and neurobiology can help us understand why.

He’s present in the myth of the Golem and the French folk tale “Bluebeard.” Many of the novels of Neil Gaiman ("The Graveyard Book," "Coraline") or Stephen King’s horror tales such as "It" are aimed squarely at either 11-year-olds who feel vulnerable to the dark and terrifying supernatural, or those of us who remember what it was like to be 11. Re-read Ray Bradbury’s “The Halloween Tree.” You’ll remember the fun of a good scare.

The preadolescent’s love for the macabre is tied to a higher-order contemplation of what it means to be frightened in the first place. Those of us who enjoy scary stories and scary movies don’t just enjoy being scared. We enjoy asking ourselves why we’re scared...

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/sle...-brain-n124401

Quote Originally Posted by Zuri View Post
    Just catching up on the threads from over the weekend. You all make salient points and bring a lot of great info.

As an aside, I was reading something on the Huffington Post and there was a cute link to things kids had written either to their parents or in school. All were Under the age of nine.

In a class assignment, One child (8) had to list, in 2 columns, things that were real and things that were not real. He listed video games titles and cartoons shows and FOX NEWS as not real and in the real column wrote BBC and ESPN.

This suggests to me that children very early on are being taught the difference between reality and fantasy. This gave a lot of credence to the argument that Slenderman was an excuse, rather than the cause. IIRC, the 2 girls did not go and seek Slenderman's mansion in the woods. They were found walking along a highway. JMV
    If this kid ever needs an adoptive mother, I am so in!
    HALLOWEEN IS COMING...

“Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."
    ― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
    “The heart lies and the head plays tricks with us, but the eyes see true.”
    “So be it. I'll wear my iron and hold my tongue. A man who won't listen can't hear.”

Quote Originally Posted by Zuri View Post
    IIRC, the 2 girls did not go and seek Slenderman's mansion in the woods. They were found walking along a highway. JMV
    IIRC, they planned to walk 330 miles to another set of woods where they believed the mansion to be.

Maybe they were on their way there. They sure weren't on their way home.

Then again, maybe they were just running away.

IIRC, they planned to walk 330 miles to another set of woods where they believed the mansion to be.

This is what I know to be true also, they were headed to the woods to be with him. One girl packed a picture of her family to remember them by.

per the girls, slenderman's mansion is located in the Nicolet Natl Forest which is some 4 hours from Waukesha
    Attached Images Attached Images

Question

330 miles??? What were their plans for food. shelter, money 'till they got there? And did they really think they were going to walk 330 miles????
    I haven't decided whether they were deluded or evil. Only that I'm proud of the label helicopter parent!
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

I have a 12 year old daughter. I don't know if she is one of a kind or what but she clearly knows what is real and what is not. She does well in school (A-B honor roll for the entire school year), has plenty of friends, behaves well for others, definitely knows right from wrong. And so do her friends. Maybe there is something in the water here that has our 12 year old girls behaving in the proper way, at home and away from home, or perhaps they were raised properly. I can not accept that two 12 year old girls truly believed in "slenderman" and attempted to kill in his name.

My prayers, well wishes and loving thoughts go to the victim that has a long painful road ahead of her. I hope and pray that she can completely heal from this, both physically and mentally. I also hope and pray that true justice is served for her.

MOO

Quote Originally Posted by TorisMom003 View Post
    I have a 12 year old daughter. I don't know if she is one of a kind or what but she clearly knows what is real and what is not. She does well in school (A-B honor roll for the entire school year), has plenty of friends, behaves well for others, definitely knows right from wrong. And so do her friends. Maybe there is something in the water here that has our 12 year old girls behaving in the proper way, at home and away from home, or perhaps they were raised properly. I can not accept that two 12 year old girls truly believed in "slenderman" and attempted to kill in his name.

My prayers, well wishes and loving thoughts go to the victim that has a long painful road ahead of her. I hope and pray that she can completely heal from this, both physically and mentally. I also hope and pray that true justice is served for her.

MOO
    You are sort of saying things that have been on my mind since this happened. I have never actually known a 12 year old child (or even 9-10) that could not discern reality from fiction. I don't mean believing in Santa or the Easter bunny, because you can get some cool things. I mean truly believing a character in a story is so real, and you commit crimes for them. Especially, when everyone else knows this is not real. I have worked with a lot of kids. A lot of kids from horrific homes that have suffered terrible abuse, that have no education, poor health or nutrition, that are extremely poor. I've simply never seen it. Not even in the most at risk of youth.

Unless a forensic psychologist testifies that these girls are legally insane and could not set this apart from reality...I will never believe that TWO 12 year olds did not know this wasn't real. I will just never buy it.

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast