658 users online (80 members and 578 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Please Read - Media Appeal

WebSleuths members, guests –

More and more it seems the we are exhausting new "leads" to pursue in Janet’s murder. Revisiting information, discussing theories, speculation on the who, the what, the where, the when….all extremely important, I think anyway. But in order for this case to truly be SOLVED, we need FACTS.

LE remains quiet about this case – hopefully as they work the case towards a resolution.

Media remains quiet about this case – Well, I can’t imagine WHY, quite frankly.

We have put out the word, if you will, to anyone who has first hand information, insights, whatever, about ANY aspect of this case, to share that information here….if they feel comfortable doing so. We’ve had new members provide amazingly insightful information.

What we need now, I think, is a broader appeal – to the media.

The media has power, whether you like it or not, they do. The media also has investigative resources that are often not available to us here. And, I maintain anyway, the media has a RESPONSIBILITY – to viewers, to readers, to citizens. Reporting an event is not the end of a story. True investigative journalism is about two things – INVESTIGATION and REPORTING.

Accordingly, I suggest we start an email campaign to every local media outlet. (Broaden nationally if necessary, but certainly only a local level at minimum.)

If each and every member of this forum, as well as our frequent guests, would send an email to every person on this list, MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, it could LIGHT A FIRE under someone, somewhere – to dig into this case. To pressure LE if necessary. To, quite simply – INVESTIGATE.
    If you do choose to contact any or all of these media resources, it will be very helpful to post that information here as well – who you contacted, when, and any feedback you receive.

The following is just an EXAMPLE of a POSSIBLE email to send:

Dear _________,

As you know, on April 26, 2005, Janet Abaroa was brutally murdered in her home at 2606 Ferrand in Durham. Janet was a wife and the young mother of a 6-month-old son, Kaiden. Janet was only 25. Her friends and family have described Janet as one of the kindest, gentlest people they had ever known. She was an athlete, having been a star soccer player in college. She was by all accounts, a loving wife and mother. She was a dedicated and faithful member of her church.

Janet was a good person. And, her life was taken.

If you search online, theories abound on what happened to Janet that evening. But, as informative as they are, they are just that – theories.

Please, help find justice for Janet and her family.

While I’m sure that local law enforcement is doing all it can in this case, the days continue to pass by. Durham Police stated that Janet’s murder was "not random," and that Durham citizens had nothing to fear with regards to this case. Yet, over six weeks have passed, with no arrest, no mention of suspects. Thus, somewhere, the murderer of Janet Abaroa still walks free.

Please, help find justice for Janet and her family.

There are online message boards loaded with information about this case. I have no doubt that you, personally, have investigative resources at your disposal. So, please do anything in your power to keep the spotlight on this case. Every victim needs a voice. Every family member needs a voice. Please, be that voice for Janet Abaroa.

Sincerely,

Just an example folks. Write what you want, but I ask you, PLEASE WRITE. We need help.
    The following is a list of local media. Some actually wrote the early stories, some are just direct contacts,etc. If you know of others, please add to the list!

Newspapers

The News and Observer

Samiha Khanna skhanna@newsobserver.com
    Michael Biesecker mbieseck@newsobserver.com

Herald-Sun

Eric Olson eolson@heraldsun.com
    Brooks Dareff bdareff@heraldsun.com
    Television

WTVD

Darla Miles http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/bios/
    Erin O’Hearn (this is an online email for both)

WRAL

Julia Lewis jlewis@wral.com
    Kamal Wallace kwallace@wral.com

WNCN

General newstips@nbc17.com
    Ryan Young ryan.young@nbc.com
    Brian DeRoy brian.deroy@nbc.com

News14 Carolina

General news@news14.com
    Last edited by SouthEastSleuth; 06-12-2005 at 10:46 AM. Reason: correction

FYI:

I sent emails this afternoon to each person listed above.

If these guys get enough emails, maybe we will start to see some media movement on this case! Keep your fingers crossed!!

-SES
    Last edited by SouthEastSleuth; 06-12-2005 at 03:49 PM. Reason: correction

..great idea...........g/m had a similar idea going a while back....and right after she bombarded media, the 'new media post' with the 'christmas video' appeared...

...i'm in the midst of sending mine out to the email links you provided.........and greta....nancy grace.....
    ...i'd hate to see bill curtis featurung this case in the future....." 5 years ago..cold case files.....a tragic murder.......never been solved................."

...we've seen posts stating how incredibly backed-up the NC state forensics lab is..........LE isn't going to give us anything new anytime soon..........(?)

....one of the media outlets just might assign this case to someone full time...?
    my opinion...........and i happen to agree with it.....

Greta Van Susteren

ontherecord@foxnews.com

Hey Greta...where is the follow up on the story you covered on May 17, 2005? Janet Abaroa, a 25-year-old mother was stabbed to death in her home, while her 6-month-old baby was down the hall! The Durham PD has stated that this crime was not random and that the public has no need to fear, BUT have not named a suspect or arrested anyone. How can they say this? Are they afraid of the media's attention to this case? The person responsible for this horrific brutal crime is still walking among us. Of course, I still fear. PLEASE cover this story again and again until justice is received for Janet Abaroa. Janet needs your voice. I believe that her murderer needs to be arrested before the public really has no reason to fear. Please help.

From CNN's website:
    "Nancy Grace provides viewers with a clear understanding of not only the top trials, but also the cases often overlooked."
    This is definitely a case overlooked!
    "If you are a crime victim or someone who knows about an injustice or case that needs a spotlight, call "Nancy Grace" at 1-888-GRACE-01 or send information via e-mail to "Nancy Grace."

Nancy Grace, CNN

1-888-GRACE-01

or

Nancy Grace's email:

http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form5c.html?24

Also, I remember reading somewhere that Larry King is married to a mormon woman. Maybe because Janet was mormon, he may pick up this story??

Larry King's email:

http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form5.html?12

How about 48 hours? They do a lot of unsolved crime shows, perhaps they might be interested?

48hours@cbsnews.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammie63
    How about 48 hours? They do a lot of unsolved crime shows, perhaps they might be interested?

48hours@cbsnews.com.
    ........sure................good one...!..anyone and everyone that might have an interest.....

........i heard back from nancy grace....( auto-responder, but none the less........someone will read it.....!)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

" If you have submitted a story idea that we would like to discuss in more detail, you may hear from us via email within the next day or so (please note: the volume of story ideas we receive makes it impossible for us to feature all of them, so please wait for a reply). "
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...it's sad,... thinking back to the very beginning of this whole case.........(.when mr. A mentioned a blurb on the crimes in the news).........i wonder, if this murder hadn't happened on the same night that the 'run-away bride' ran...........would janet's case have had more coverage ?

I hit everyone on the above list and Nancy.

I will send more tomorrow.
    "It's easier to KEEP Raven happy, than it is to MAKE Raven happy." ~~ JA

eye witness news 11 Erin O'Hearn

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/news/060...roacouple.html

Erin O'Hearn
    ..she wrote the most recent media article on the case..

Jenifred is offline I can feel it coming in the air tonight......
    Didn't someone have the email address of someone at People Magazine? I think that this might be a good story to have in there too. Can you post it if you have it?

I haven't heard anything yet from emails I've sent out. But the more we send the better the chance someone will pick this story up. Don't let up on the pressure ... this board is going stale without new information from LE or the media.

I want JUSTICE for Janet!

Please everyone let's keep the pressure on.

Reminder

Hi everyone -

Just a reminder, if you haven't already done so, please give some thought to sending an email, or emails, to some or all of the media contacts listed in this thread.

The board has been really quiet in the past few days, as we start to almost tread water....hoping for some news of any sort - whether from LE, new research, or from media.

Now's a time when at least one of the things we have at our disposal is our VOICE.... and making sure that the media is on top of every single aspect of Janet's murder.

Maybe we're "just" a message board. BUT, this message board has uncovered voluminous information relating to this case and to the Abaroas. Some speculative, sure. BUT, much is also FACTUAL information.

As a message board, we've given Janet a voice.

-Let's keep that voice loud, clear, and strong.

-Let's do any and every thing in our power to make sure Janet's murder is solved, and the murderer brought to justice.

-Let's do our best to keep everyone focused on this case.

Thanks.

We often ask ourselves why some cases get the media spotlight while others seem to just sit in the sidelines. Ive been trying to think of reasons why the media hasnt picked up on this story, and I come up with 2 words...

Not Random

Those 2 words take the mystery out of the case, and reduce media interest. As sad as it is, it makes Janet just one more victim of domestic violence, a crime so prevelent in this country, that it doesnt even make headlines anymore.

Jenifred is offline I can feel it coming in the air tonight......
    Quote Originally Posted by Timex
    We often ask ourselves why some cases get the media spotlight while others seem to just sit in the sidelines. Ive been trying to think of reasons why the media hasnt picked up on this story, and I come up with 2 words...

Not Random

Those 2 words take the mystery out of the case, and reduce media interest. As sad as it is, it makes Janet just one more victim of domestic violence, a crime so prevelent in this country, that it doesnt even make headlines anymore.
    But don't you think that the lack of ANY information and how tight-lipped everyone if being would have people interested? Curious to draw a conclusion on this unsolvable case? I think that if this had hit national news 2 months ago, everyone would have been all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenifred
    But don't you think that the lack of ANY information and how tight-lipped everyone if being would have people interested? Curious to draw a conclusion on this unsolvable case? I think that if this had hit national news 2 months ago, everyone would have been all over it.
    No they were all too busy thinking about the whole non-story of the run-away bride.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast