970 users online (178 members and 792 guests)  

Websleuths News

AZ - Scottsdale, WhtFem UP12148, 15-19, Skull Found in Desert, Oct'82

Here's another Jane Doe case just recently added to NamUs that I've never heard about before. Skeletal remains in Arizona are usually border crossers, but this one is far enough north that I am thinking she might be local.

NamUs UP 12148 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/12148

No Image Available

Unidentified White Female

The victim was discovered on October 02, 1982 in the desert area northeast of Scottsdale (Maricopa County) Arizona

Body Condition: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 15-19
    Approximate Height: N/A
    Approximate Weight: N/A
    Hair Color: Brown

Identifiers
    Fingerprints: Not Available
    Dentals: Available and Entered
    DNA: Not Available

Case History
    Skull found in the desert area notheast of Scottsdale.

I have only one white female in the 15-19 age range missing from Arizona in the 10 years prior to Oct'82:

Cynthia Ardina Leslie
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...e_cynthia.html
    https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/6293/0

And the location is quite close. It is only about 15 miles from the corner of Baseline Road and Power Road (where the Leslie Sisters were LKA)

But if there was hair found with the skull, I doubt it would have been there for 8 years.

Lisa Borden might have been traveling from California to Texas when LKA, so she might have ended up in Arizona.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/borden_lisa.html

and if only a skull was found, the medical hardware in the hand would not be known.

I usually do +/- 2 years when looking for a potential match, just in case the age estimate is slightly off. Doing that gives you 6 girls in Arizona who fit the parameters.

I don't know a great deal about human decomposition so I don't know how long hair would last if the body decomposed in the desert (without ever mummifying). I know hair is one of the last things to go, but would it really last 5+ years if the remains were purely skeletal? I don't think it would ..

Anyways, Amy Yachimec looks like the best possible out of all of the 6 girls. I can't find anything major ruling her out and pretty much everything fits.

1. AMY MARIE YACHIMEC
    Age is just 2 years off, race and hair color matches, timing is consistent (went missing 11 months before UID was discovered). The circumstances also match up; in 1988, LE got a tip that Amy was buried in the desert. Also, she went missing only 12.5 miles from Scottsdale

2. CINDY HAUMANN
    Pros: Age is just 2 years off, race matches, timing (about 2 years prior to UID's discovery) is consistent
    Cons: Blonde, went missing 118 miles from Scottsdale

3. KRISTINA PERKINS
    Pros: Age is within 2 years of estimate, race and hair color match, went missing 12.5 miles from Scottsdale
    Cons: Wore a wire retainer on her lower jaw. If she had a permanent retainer, that would pretty much rule her out

4. DOROTHY CLITHEROE
    Pros: Age is only one year off, race and hair color match, went missing only 21 miles from Scottsdale
    Cons: Disappeared 9 years prior to the UID's discovery; unlikely that hair would still be present

5. CYNTHIA LESLIE
    Pros: Age fits in the estimate, race and hair color match, went missing only 15 miles away
    Cons: The 8-year time interval makes it unlikely that hair was still present

6. JACKIE LESLIE
    Pros: Age is only 2 years off, race and hair color match, went missing only 15 miles away
    Cons: 8-year time interval

Quote Originally Posted by Migmuu View Post
    I usually do +/- 2 years when looking for a potential match, just in case the age estimate is slightly off. Doing that gives you 6 girls in Arizona who fit the parameters.

I don't know a great deal about human decomposition so I don't know how long hair would last if the body decomposed in the desert (without ever mummifying). I know hair is one of the last things to go, but would it really last 5+ years if the remains were purely skeletal? I don't think it would ..

Anyways, Amy Yachimec looks like the best possible out of all of the 6 girls. I can't find anything major ruling her out and pretty much everything fits.

1. AMY MARIE YACHIMEC
    Age is just 2 years off, race and hair color matches, timing is consistent (went missing 11 months before UID was discovered). The circumstances also match up; in 1988, LE got a tip that Amy was buried in the desert. Also, she went missing only 12.5 miles from Scottsdale

2. CINDY HAUMANN
    Pros: Age is just 2 years off, race matches, timing (about 2 years prior to UID's discovery) is consistent
    Cons: Blonde, went missing 118 miles from Scottsdale

3. KRISTINA PERKINS
    Pros: Age is within 2 years of estimate, race and hair color match, went missing 12.5 miles from Scottsdale
    Cons: Wore a wire retainer on her lower jaw. If she had a permanent retainer, that would pretty much rule her out

4. DOROTHY CLITHEROE
    Pros: Age is only one year off, race and hair color match, went missing only 21 miles from Scottsdale
    Cons: Disappeared 9 years prior to the UID's discovery; unlikely that hair would still be present

5. CYNTHIA LESLIE
    Pros: Age fits in the estimate, race and hair color match, went missing only 15 miles away
    Cons: The 8-year time interval makes it unlikely that hair was still present

6. JACKIE LESLIE
    Pros: Age is only 2 years off, race and hair color match, went missing only 15 miles away
    Cons: 8-year time interval
    It's probably not Amy because she had her dentals in NAMUS.

Rule outs as of 20 September 2017: Cynthia Leslie 1959 Arizona, Jackie Leslie 1961 Arizona, Dean Pyle Peters 1966 Michigan, Carol Roberts 1958 Florida, and Amy Yachimec 1968 Arizona.
    Who is Fly Creek Jane Doe?