AZ AZ - Scottsdale, WhtFem 15-19, UP12148, Skull Found in Desert, (jawbone fnd Feb'82), Oct'82

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's another Jane Doe case just recently added to NamUs that I've never heard about before. Skeletal remains in Arizona are usually border crossers, but this one is far enough north that I am thinking she might be local.

NamUs UP 12148 The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

No Image Available

Unidentified White Female

The victim was discovered on October 02, 1982 in the desert area northeast of Scottsdale (Maricopa County) Arizona

Body Condition: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only​

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 15-19​
Approximate Height: N/A​
Approximate Weight: N/A​
Hair Color: Brown​

Identifiers
Fingerprints: Not Available​
Dentals: Available and Entered​
DNA: Not Available​

Case History
Skull found in the desert area notheast of Scottsdale.​
<MOD NOTE: Several original links throughout the thread were broken and have been edited to include the current link (when available) and images as of January 23, 2023>

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only one white female in the 15-19 age range missing from Arizona in the 10 years prior to Oct'82:

Cynthia Ardina Leslie

And the location is quite close. It is only about 15 miles from the corner of Baseline Road and Power Road (where the Leslie Sisters were LKA)

But if there was hair found with the skull, I doubt it would have been there for 8 years.

Lisa Borden might have been traveling from California to Texas when LKA, so she might have ended up in Arizona.

and if only a skull was found, the medical hardware in the hand would not be known.

I usually do +/- 2 years when looking for a potential match, just in case the age estimate is slightly off. Doing that gives you 6 girls in Arizona who fit the parameters.

I don't know a great deal about human decomposition so I don't know how long hair would last if the body decomposed in the desert (without ever mummifying). I know hair is one of the last things to go, but would it really last 5+ years if the remains were purely skeletal? I don't think it would ..

Anyways, Amy Yachimec looks like the best possible out of all of the 6 girls. I can't find anything major ruling her out and pretty much everything fits.

1. Amy Marie Yachimec – The Charley Project
Age is just 2 years off, race and hair color matches, timing is consistent (went missing 11 months before UID was discovered). The circumstances also match up; in 1988, LE got a tip that Amy was buried in the desert. Also, she went missing only 12.5 miles from Scottsdale

2. Cindy L. Haumann – The Charley Project
Pros: Age is just 2 years off, race matches, timing (about 2 years prior to UID's discovery) is consistent
Cons: Blonde, went missing 118 miles from Scottsdale

3. Kristina Ann Perkins – The Charley Project
Pros: Age is within 2 years of estimate, race and hair color match, went missing 12.5 miles from Scottsdale
Cons: Wore a wire retainer on her lower jaw. If she had a permanent retainer, that would pretty much rule her out

4. Dorothy Mildred Clitheroe – The Charley Project
Pros: Age is only one year off, race and hair color match, went missing only 21 miles from Scottsdale
Cons: Disappeared 9 years prior to the UID's discovery; unlikely that hair would still be present

5. Cynthia Ardina Leslie – The Charley Project
Pros: Age fits in the estimate, race and hair color match, went missing only 15 miles away
Cons: The 8-year time interval makes it unlikely that hair was still present

6. Jackie Lynn Leslie – The Charley Project
Pros: Age is only 2 years off, race and hair color match, went missing only 15 miles away
Cons: 8-year time interval

I usually do +/- 2 years when looking for a potential match, just in case the age estimate is slightly off. Doing that gives you 6 girls in Arizona who fit the parameters.

I don't know a great deal about human decomposition so I don't know how long hair would last if the body decomposed in the desert (without ever mummifying). I know hair is one of the last things to go, but would it really last 5+ years if the remains were purely skeletal? I don't think it would ..

Anyways, Amy Yachimec looks like the best possible out of all of the 6 girls. I can't find anything major ruling her out and pretty much everything fits.
and pretty much everything fits.

1. Amy Marie Yachimec – The Charley Project
Age is just 2 years off, race and hair color matches, timing is consistent (went missing 11 months before UID was discovered). The circumstances also match up; in 1988, LE got a tip that Amy was buried in the desert. Also, she went missing only 12.5 miles from Scottsdale

2. Cindy L. Haumann – The Charley Project
Pros: Age is just 2 years off, race matches, timing (about 2 years prior to UID's discovery) is consistent
Cons: Blonde, went missing 118 miles from Scottsdale

3. Kristina Ann Perkins – The Charley Project
Pros: Age is within 2 years of estimate, race and hair color match, went missing 12.5 miles from Scottsdale
Cons: Wore a wire retainer on her lower jaw. If she had a permanent retainer, that would pretty much rule her out

4. Dorothy Mildred Clitheroe – The Charley Project
Pros: Age is only one year off, race and hair color match, went missing only 21 miles from Scottsdale
Cons: Disappeared 9 years prior to the UID's discovery; unlikely that hair would still be present

5. Cynthia Ardina Leslie – The Charley Project
Pros: Age fits in the estimate, race and hair color match, went missing only 15 miles away
Cons: The 8-year time interval makes it unlikely that hair was still present

6. Jackie Lynn Leslie – The Charley Project
Pros: Age is only 2 years off, race and hair color match, went missing only 15 miles away
Cons: 8-year time interval

It's probably not Amy because she had her dentals in NAMUS.

Rule outs as of 20 September 2017: Cynthia Leslie 1959 Arizona, Jackie Leslie 1961 Arizona, Dean Pyle Peters 1966 Michigan, Carol Roberts 1958 Florida, and Amy Yachimec 1968 Arizona.

A couple of the articles include

small-framed woman
brown hair

@Mrs. Badcrumble , what do you think?
From that recon (is it a pic of a clay bust, or a drawing of a clay bust?), I really couldn't tell.

You're asking one of the most skeptic users on WS on their thoughts o_O but I do got some input, so here we go:

- Is it confirmed that Kelle went missing autumn 1983?
--> So little is known in Kelle's case, and the details are a bit hazy due to the fact that she wasn't reported missing until 2008. If it is confirmed that the 1983 date is correct, then obviously this Jane Doe is ruled out.
- How did her head end up in Arizona?
--> Well, to be fair, stranger things have happened in mp/UID cases, and Kelle's case seem to take place "all over" the States, so I wouldn't make this the deal breaker. A "small-framed woman with brown hair" could be anyone, and I personally need more info in both cases here.
- Scottsdale Jane Doe's ruleout list was last updated in this thread in 2017. Does she have any more since then?
--> It's unknown if SJD has DNA available, but she has dentals. We know Kelle has DNA in, but does she have dentals?

I just hasten to add that these are my five cents on the matter! If you, @Laughing , or anyone else feels like submitting, then do so, please :)

I've been following Plainview (TX) Jane Doe's case and plan on visiting her grave soon. It occured to me today that I'd be visiting this young lady's grave as well. Assuming they're still buried together. I'd very much like to see both of them identified!

ETA: Maybe DDP will take on the other girl's case, knowing what they know now.

Here’s another article. I realize now I was just confused (happens often). :D

86A5739A-CE27-46D9-ACC0-390F9D5449B8.jpeg

So her jawbone was found in the same area in February, the rest of the skull in October. The 18 month estimated PMI in one of the articles could be from the Feb or Oct date. Making her death somewhere around August 1980 to April 1981.

I visited the grave today that I believe contain this woman's remains and those of PJD's. My friend and I said a few words to both ladies and promised to look after them until others claimed them. Longer if no one did.

It's become very important to me that the two women are not considered to be one. Two families must be (or once were) missing these two souls. They're both important to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991
Back