1133 users online (216 members and 917 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

CA - Atticus Van Arsdale, 18, Poway, 11 June 2014

Atticus Van Arsdale

Search on for missing Poway High senior

An 18-year-old Poway High senior has been reported missing after not showing up for graduation rehearsal Thursday morning. A search for him was under way today by authorities. Atticus Van Arsdale was last seen by his father Wednesday at 9:30 p.m. His father reported him missing to the police at 8:53 a.m. today after he woke up and found his son not home, said Lt. Vickery of the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department. Van Arsdale reportedly has no vehicle and does not drive.
    http://www.pomeradonews.com/2014/06/...y-high-senior/
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

This is the same school Chelsea King attended before she was killed while running in the Rancho Bernardo area (RB Community Park in Westwood).

PHS has been through the ringer with a lot of sad events the last few years.

The Poway and Rancho Bernardo communities have really rallied together more than ever before since Chelsea's murder - on a daily basis, but even moreso when there's been a tragedy or a scare.

Atticus did have a FB and twitter, but both are now gone.

Most of me is encouraged by that, as I'd suspect it is far more likely he has control over his accounts (especially since it's been less than 24 hours that he was last seen) I don't think it's very likely his family or LE would have gained access and removed them that quickly.

Atticus is in a lot of performances/dramas. Many are visible on youtube, etc.

Shoot, shut down the wrong window, but graduation rehearsal STARTED at 8 am.

You CAN NOT be late.

Thus he shouldn't have been home at 8:30 something when his dad noticed he was gone and then alerted authorities...he would have been at school.

http://www.powayusd.com/pusdphs/file...Activities.pdf

Graduation Rehearsal and Ceremony:

Commencement Ceremony Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:00 pm

Graduation Rehearsal
    -
    June 12th
    8:00 am sharp!
    MANDATORY FOR PARTICIPATION
    -
    meet in the stadium in assigned seat
    PHS is a large school with big graduating classes.

Graduation rehearsal isn't a very speedy (or organized) process and it's VERY unlikely that there's any way the school could have noticed him missing anywhere near that quickly, let alone have called dad and him noticing he wasn't at home.

Plus, this graduation / half-week most seniors go out to breakfast, etc. with friends before their morning activities.

I'd hope that his friends have been asked if he was supposed to meet them and/or if he did.

Personally I'm hoping that his dad was just mixed up on times and didn't realize Atticus would already need to be at school by the time he went to his room.

Local here, marking my spot. I'm downtown SD, a bit south of RB.

I hope this obviously dapper young fellow is found ASAP!

Curious why this is in past tense. :-/
    There were no signs of criminal involvement in Van Arsdale’s disappearance, which was being investigated as a “voluntary missing adult” case, Detective Todd Richards said
    http://timesofsandiego.com/crime/201...sing-teenager/

I'm under 2 miles away and used to live even closer. I'm a PHS grad and former teacher and know a TON of students and families in the area.

I'm hearing NOTHING locally scuttlebutt wise. I'm not seeing anything on FB this time either, which is very different than in situations like this in the past (especially all those post-Chelsea King)

For locals, he lives on a cul-de-sac that's basically in between Arbolitos and Carriage (but closer to the Poway Road end than Twin Peaks) - near Starridge Park.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hicko...ed=0CAgQ_AUoAQ

“It’s really strange,” said Poway Detective Todd Richards. “He’s a good kid with no problems, no issues. We’ve talked to his friends. Nobody said there was anything weird going on.”
    He's got family in town for his graduation this afternoon.

“It just doesn’t make sense,” Richards said.

Sgt. Don Parker, who heads the Search & Rescue team, said volunteers have been passing out flyers with information about VanArsdale. So far nobody has come forward with anything helpful.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...sdale-missing/

There's a little on Twitter about Atticus, at least:

San Diego Sheriff ‏@SDSheriff 1h

@SDSheriff: Tips wanted in search for missing person in Poway. Call 858-565-5200. http://goo.gl/LkybtA http://twitpic.com/e60tyk
    And a few mentions from fellow PHS students, but not all that many. A few asking if it's true he's missing, and a few that are retweets of this PHS Yearbook tweet about the helicopter being up (the SD Sheriff Astrea helicopter - Poway is covered by SDSO, not SDPD)

It's a little odd to see who he's listed next to in the yearbook alphabetically (you can see it in the picture on the link there)

Locals or those who have followed missing persons cases for a long time will recognize the last name - one of the siblings of another who was the subject of a missing persons search, then turned murder investigation in our area also.

https://twitter.com/PowayYearbook/st...49667730685952

I'm still hopeful that he's missing by choice (with his SM accounts not being visible adding to that hope) and just overwhelmed by graduation or something.

(Oddly, lots of sirens headed to the same area where Atticus lives due to reports of a possible residential structure fire...I'm afraid people will think it's related to him and get their hopes up if they can't get closer to the area of the actual call)

Glad to see they posted another picture of him. Hope he's found safe.

I don't know that I'll ever fully understand why some people just 'walk away' without letting loved ones know they're ok - I can get going away, breaking ties, etc. but just tell your family that you're doing it and don't want any further communication with them...anyway, I really don't understand why someone would do it on the eve of such an important day like graduation. I hope though that he did disappear voluntarily and that nothing bad happened to him.

Wherever you are Atticus - just let your family know you're ok.

los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
    Authorities Searching for Missing Poway Teenager

Authorities searched Thursday for a North County teenager who went missing overnight.
    http://timesofsandiego.com/crime/201...sing-teenager/
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

Tried to flip through all the news stations, though of course you can't catch it all doing that (LOL) but didn't hear anything on Atticus.

I stuck with Channel 10 the most since they're the ones who had covered it on their website, but I didn't see it mentioned.

Still virtually nothing on Twitter apart from missing person type sites tweeting it. A handful of references from students, but really mostly only a few retweets, which is so odd to me.

And though I know a lot of families and students who were graduating at PHS tonight, I've not seen it mentioned at all on FB or by any of them in any form.

It really makes me wonder if there's more that's known and that's why it's getting so little attention? It's all very odd, especially for the Poway community.

Watching this closely as this is my neighborhood. Not much in the way of news on him, saw that the search has been called off.

Curious how he was supposed to be getting to school?

It doesn't seem it could have been his parents since they didn't notice he was missing until later in the morning than he needed to be at school.

And it's not that 8 is earlier than normal. School starts at 7:30, and it's virtually impossible to cut it close to try to drop off anywhere near that late even b/c of the school location/layout/drop-off pattern.

Also, he lives on the side of town that makes it even more necessary to leave plenty early to get to school. Dealing with traffic from an elementary and middle school, plus a narrow road (Espola from Twin Peaks all the way up to Titan Way / the HS) the slow light at Titan Way, and then trying to make a u-turn down past Bridlewood to drop off along the field, or find somewhere else...

The few times I used to have to come from that way I actually gave up and finally went the opposite direction - up Pomerado and down Espola, around the curve, past all the Bridlewood neighborhoods and Lake Poway, etc.

I'd guess Atticus' family/ride would probably have to leave by 6:45 to really be safe and allow him to get there (and to wherever his first class was) on time...and even that could be cutting it close.

Anyway, latest from the paper:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...sdale-Atticus/
    Poway Sheriff’s Detective Todd Richards said Friday that VanArsdale’s wallet and cellphone were still in his room and he doesn’t have access to credit or bank cards. VanArsdale also doesn’t have a driver’s license or access to a family vehicle.
    Search called off because there's nowhere to search and because:
    “The case is being treated as a voluntary missing adult,” Richards said Friday. “A few leads have come in that are being checked out, but otherwise there is nothing new.”

I wonder if he found out that he failed a class or wasnt going to graduate or something?

Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast