CA - Bobby Pearson, 37, freed by jury's error, fatally stabbed, Fresno, 11 June 2014

Man freed in jury mistake killed; suspect arrested
http://wtxf.m0bl.net/r/1x9q7c

FRESNO, Calif. (AP) - A burglary defendant who won his freedom because of a jury's mistake lost his life a few hours later when he was stabbed to death in a fight.

The jury in the trial of Bobby Lee Pearson, 37, mistakenly signed a not-guilty form Wednesday, and the flabbergasted judge said he had no choice but to order him to be released from jail because the verdict had already been put on the record.

It was too late when the judge finally learned that the jury was unable to reach a verdict, stalling on an 8-4 vote in favor of guilt. Prosecutors might have had an opportunity to retry Pearson, but by then, changing the verdict form would have exposed Pearson to double jeopardy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im not sure wether burglary deserves death. I need to read the article.

I'm really starting to believe that the justice system needs professional, qualified, reasonably intelligent jurors.
There needs to be some sort of intelligence qualification an IQ test would be lovely. the higher the IQ, the better.
Need to weed out the sheep...

IMO

I'm really starting to believe that the justice system needs professional, qualified, reasonably intelligent jurors.
There needs to be some sort of intelligence qualification an IQ test would be lovely. the higher the IQ, the better.

IMO

Think Casey Anthony. And Frigga, I didn't mean that to sound like he deserved the DP, although, after reading it again, that's EXACTLY what it sounded like lol. Hugs. :)

ETA. I resisted and fought against the DP for the man that killed my brother and his wife. That's just not who I am. :)

IMO too! I say this whenever I can. professionally trained juries!!!!!!!! Thanks button was not enough. YAY!!!!!

IMO

Wouldn't have mattered, it was a hung jury anyway, not a conviction.

And in any case, neither lawyers nor prosecution want educated people on the jury, since those are much harder to sway with an emotional argument, and both sides will want to do that.

IMO

I agree one hundred percent.

wow, Karma anyone?
However, I don't blame the jury. I've been on quite a few and some of the instruction sheets are very complicated.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back