911 Dispatcher Tells Rape Victim to "Quit Crying"

AnaTeresa

Reaction score
This is absolutely infuriating.

The call came in just after 4:00am Sunday, from a college student who was staying with a friend at a home just off campus of the Ohio State University. The caller said she had just woken up to a stranger holding a gun to her head and forcing her to perform sex acts on him. She said the man broke into the home full of sorority girls and left after stealing cash and an iPhone.

After being told by the dispatcher "to quit crying" and "they're not going to find the (suspect)," the rape victim responded, "I'm a 20 year old from Upper Arlington. I don't know what you deal with every day but the kind of sympathy you have is zero."

http://www.abc6onyourside.com/share...-911-dispatcher-has-zero-sympathy-32327.shtml

Here's some gems from that call:

VICTIM: Is there any way you can locate where my phone is right now?

DISPATCHER: No. We can't. That's why I need to know where you are.

VICTIM: Small male white boy, with a white shirt. [crying] Immediately arrest him. I'm nervous.

DISPATCHER: Ma'am, you're gonna have to quit crying so I can get the information from you.

DISPATCHER: Where did he come in at?

VICTIM: I have no idea. I have no idea. I have no idea. The back door.

DISPATCHER: Well, they're not going to be able to find him on the information that you've given.

The dispatcher's punishment? A sit down with supervisors. Not even a written reprimand! The only reason this slap on the wrist is happening is because the local media were contacted. :banghead:

The Columbus Police are looking in to it because they were contacted by the media! Now, based on the way it's reported, I'm not sure if that means they're looking into the Dispatcher's conduct, or if they had to be alerted by the media about the rape. Either way, I'm flames on the side of my face angry.

They are not going to find him based on information the victim has given?
That's pretty mean (and false), especially considering police actually had no trouble finding the suspect.

unreal

get that person off of dispatch and into some other area

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77