Verified Insider
Reaction score
MW5FzXe.jpg
tK3Ggd1.jpg

Shirley and Russell Dermond

Missing wife of decapitated Georgia man found dead in lake
By Chelsea J. Carter and AnneClaire Stapleton, CNN
updated 10:54 PM EDT, Fri May 16, 2014

Shirley Dermond's body was found in Lake Oconee, south of Athens, Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills told reporters Friday.

"We now, unfortunately, know that Shirley Dermond was murdered," Sills said. Sills declined to discuss the condition of the body other than to say, "the head was not removed or anything like that.

"We haven't even had a funeral for Russell because their kids wanted to wait. Now that we know about Shirley, we will start planning the funeral services for both.
GA GA - Shirley Dermond, 87, Putnam County **Media Links***NO DISCUSSION*** - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4

Thread #5
Thread #6

REMINDER

• We do not sleuth individuals who have not been named by law enforcement as suspects or persons of interest.
  • We do not link to social media profiles (Facebook, Twitter) of persons who have not been indicated as suspects/POI's by LE.
  • We do not link to a social media page unless we are 100% certain it belongs to the suspect/victim.
  • We never post the name of a private individual who has not been named in the media. Even then, unless s/he's a major player, initials should be used in place of full names.
  • With the exception of a victim, we never post the full name of a minor.
  • Linking to social media pages (Facebook, Twitter) is allowed for these four categories: Victims, Suspects, MSM and LE.
  • FACTS must be accompanied by a link to an appropriate source, i.e., MSM, LE. Blogs are not MSM.
  • If you can't link it, you can't post it.
  • RUMORS are not allowed to be posted.
  • Any exceptions to the rule MUST be mod-approved.
  • If you don't think you should post it, then DON'T.

Questions about the rules or moderator decisions should be addressed to a mod in a pm.

If you see a post that violates TOS, please do not quote it. Alert the post ASAP so a mod can handle the problem.

REMINDER: IMAGES must be accompanied by a link to the original source. Images posted without links will be removed.

Also, for the posters who have complained about the excessive use of smilies in this thread (which many find to be rude and highly disrespectful to the deceased couple):

YOUR IGNORE LIST AND YOU .

We would hope that members exercise good judgment with regard to "smilies". Most do; a few don't.

Nothing new, but latest update:

"Sills is tired of all the theories and speculation. He has investigated the Dermonds' lives in depth and has determined that they worked hard, paid their taxes, went to church. There's no indication of any illegal activity or association with unsavory characters, he said. There's no indication that anything was taken from the home."

"They were regulars at the Lake Oconee Community Church, missing services only when they went to visit their children in other states, Pastor David Key said. They were social and clearly had money but didn't flaunt it, he said.

"They were just a nice, unassuming couple," Key said."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_COUPLE_BEHEADING?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Please continue here, and remember OFF TOPIC posts are subject to removal.

“Off-Topic” Posts:

OTPs are posts that do not relate to the original post/topic, or are placed in the wrong category. While we realize threads often expand into different topics, we encourage members to do their best to stick with the original topic, or start another thread. Off-Topic posts are subject to editing or removal at administrative discretion, and without notification. Members that continuously post off topic may have their posting privileges suspended.
Rules Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Not sure if this article from yesterday was already posted:

‘Plausible lead’ - Sills following up on Dermond murders while reward fund grows
Posted Yesterday

~snipped

Tex McIver, a corporate attorney in Atlanta who also has a Putnam County home, called on lake area residents to donate to the reward fund as a way to help officials solve the crime.

“We are proud to be one of the first to contribute to Howard Sills’ reward fund in support of his investigation of the two horrible murders at Great Waters,” McIver begins in a letter sent to The Eatonton Messenger.

“One of the many reasons we have done so, has to do with our understanding of how this human tragedy has been received, through our many friends who live in many different parts of America and Canada.

“We encourage all residents of Georgia’s lake region to contribute to the reward fund so that enough money will be available to encourage someone to come forward, giving Sheriff Sills the information he needs to solve this crime, thereby returning our great area to a safe place for our families and protect our economic prosperity, including your property values,” McIver’s letter says.

McIver also says in his letter that potential visitors to the area are not coming because of the Dermonds’ murders.

“This group of friends are very troubled by this event which has manifested itself into a revulsion of our part of Georgia,” the letter, which is signed by McIver and his wife, Diane, says.

“Yes, they are refusing to visit us or enjoy any of the fun things to do in the Oconee area UNTIL this heinous crime is solved and safety assured for all.

“Very few people or even the owners of Reynolds Plantation understand the high level of alarm possessed by those who would consider traveling or moving to this region.

“The same feelings are true even for those who own property here and are no more than weekend visitors. One of our Atlanta friends who have two small children refuse to return to their home at Great Waters until they are absolutely convinced it is safe to do so,” the letter says.

More at link: http://www.msgr.com/news/crime/article_7a795c98-f19a-11e3-8038-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=jqm

Fridays are always good for an arrest , Friday the thirteenth even better

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Not sure if this article from yesterday was already posted:

‘Plausible lead’ - Sills following up on Dermond murders while reward fund grows
Posted Yesterday

~snipped

thereby returning our great area to a safe place for our families and protect our economic prosperity, including your property values,” McIver’s letter says.

More at link: http://www.msgr.com/news/crime/article_7a795c98-f19a-11e3-8038-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=jqm

Someone always brings up property values. Sad.

The Dermonds' murders are back in MSM! Front page of MSN!

Looks like same article posted above by osu, but still it's good to see the Dermonds' faces being put up again.

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/ga-couples-killing-leaves-authorities-baffled

EATONTON, Ga. (AP) — The unsolved beheading of a retiree and the killing of his elderly wife has so rattled their gated, lakeside Georgia community that neighbors are casting about for even outlandish explanations. Was it a mob hit? A drug dealer? A hungry alligator?

The peaceful neighborhood where the couple was found dead hadn't seen as much as a burglary in recent memory.

Someone always brings up property values. Sad.

I agree about the property values.

But I have to agree with this attorney, that if I owned a weekend get-away place there on the lake and had kids, I would really be afraid to go back there until they get who did this. I don't think I could let my kids out of my sight or go to sleep at night.

JMO

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/06/13/4176113/ga-couples-killing-leaves-authorities.html

Is this new article a copy/paste of older articles? Some of the quotes are from older articles, so are any of them new?

I think Sheriff Sills has a very good idea of who killed the Dermond's, but is waiting on evidence before making arrest(s). I hope this case is solved soon!

"Posted: 1:49 p.m. Friday, June 13, 2014"
"Sheriff: Elderly couple’s murders still a mystery"

"The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Six weeks after Russell and Shirley Dermond were killed, one of the more baffling murder mysteries in recent memory is no closer to being solved."
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/sheriff-elderly-couples-murders-still-a-mystery/ngKyD/

"Posted: 1:49 p.m. Friday, June 13, 2014"
"Sheriff: Elderly couple’s murders still a mystery"

"The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Six weeks after Russell and Shirley Dermond were killed, one of the more baffling murder mysteries in recent memory is no closer to being solved."
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/sheriff-elderly-couples-murders-still-a-mystery/ngKyD/

From your link:
Russell Dermond’s decapitated body was found May 6th in his garage by neighbors concerned about their well-being. Shirley Dermond was found 10 days later by two fishermen along the tree line on Lake Oconee.
Her husband’s head, neatly severed, indicating the work of professionals, is still missing. Sills now believes the beheading was performed for just one reason: to conceal evidence.

Sills believes the Dermonds likely were at least acquainted with the person or people who killed them because there was no sign of forced entry and no sign of a struggle. While he's not positive the killer or killers arrived and left by boat to reach the secluded cove where the couple's home sits, he's certain a boat was used to dispose of Shirley Dermond's body, which was found in the lake about 5 1/2 miles from their home.

As he puts the pieces together slowly and hopes for some sort of a break, Sills said he remains undaunted.

"They've done a good job concealing themselves," he said of the killers. "We've got to do a better job of finding them."

Okay he knows Shirley's body was disposed of by boat, but he's not sure if the killers arrived by boat. To me, in my opinion, the killers is inside GW/RP. I think he is close and he/they controlled and concealed the crime scene as long as he possibly could.

Okay he knows Shirley's body was disposed of by boat, but he's not sure if the killers arrived by boat. To me, in my opinion, the killers is inside GW/RP. I think he is close and he/they controlled and concealed the crime scene as long as he possibly could.

and in my opinion, the way I interpreted the article, he is not sure they left by boat, but they think a boat was used to dispose of Shirley's body.....
so, could Shirley have been taken elsewhere, (not in a boat) and killed elsewhere, and then the perp(s) used a boat to dispose of her?
IMOO.

Wasn't there a poster here at WS a few weeks ago that mentioned "from unnamed sources" that the head had been neatly severed or something to that effect? TIA

From your link:

"neatly severed indicating the work of professionals."

Okay my theory about it being law enforcement went out the window and now we are back to the medical profession. Oh boy! I need some antacid.

and in my opinion, the way I interpreted the article, he is not sure they left by boat, but they think a boat was used to dispose of Shirley's body.....
so, could Shirley have been taken elsewhere, (not in a boat) and killed elsewhere, and then the perp(s) used a boat to dispose of her?
IMOO.

Yes, absolutely. And the date of her death on her obituary is Tuesday May 6. They did not discover Shirley until over a week later. Mr. Dermond's body was discovered on Tuesday, May 6th. Hmmmmmm...

Yes, absolutely. And the date of her death on her obituary is Tuesday May 6. They did not discover Shirley until over a week later. Mr. Dermond's body was discovered on Tuesday, May 6th. Hmmmmmm...
Wow, that's strange that they listed her date of death as being the same day as Russell's. IIRC, Sills and the FBI referred to Shirley as being Missing/Abducted until the fishermen discovered her body in the lake. Did LE know all along that she had been murdered the same day as Russell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni