TX TX - Thomas Estevis, 2, Laredo, 2008 - reported missing by CPS 2011

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
A very complex and sad case to say the least. I hope it's okay to post this here.
All I can say it just read it. :)

Laredo Police need community assistance in missing child case

LAREDO, TEXAS (LPD) -
The Laredo Police Department is conducting an ongoing investigation of a missing child. The case is complex and has occurred over several years. The Laredo Police Juvenile Enforcement Team has under taken the investigation which has led them to various different cities throughout Texas

The missing child has not been found and the investigation needs the community’s assistance in bringing in any information and possibly a known location where this child can be found.

Read the rest here... http://www.kgns.tv/home/headlines/L...sistance-in-missing-child-case-263071961.html

attachment.php

Attachments

• te.jpg
    te.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 135
Oh dear.

Released by CPS to parents in Dec. 2007. According to his parents in Nov. 2010, Thomas was sent to live with a relative in Georgia. Later, both parents still claimed that Thomas was still with a relative in Georgia which was never verified. His mother passed away in Jan 2011.
Missing persons report filed by CPS in Nov. 2011, at least a year since Thomas was last seen.

From los's link: http://www.kgns.tv/home/headlines/L...sistance-in-missing-child-case-263071961.html

NCMEC poster - http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/1190402/1#poster

Has his missing date as July 1, 2008. He would have been 2 at the time. Thomas would now be 8.

NCMC1190402c1.jpg
NCMC1190402e1.jpg

According to his parents in Nov. 2010, Thomas was sent to live with a relative in Georgia. Later, both parents still claimed that Thomas was still with a relative in Georgia which was never verified.
I'm going to just sit on my hands otherwise I'll be in big trouble. :furious:

Prayers that this little guy is found.

In Nov. 2011, CPS filed a missing child case with the Laredo Police Department. Since some considerable time had elapsed since anyone had actually seen Thomas, the investigation was extremely difficult and led to various possibilities.

Every possible lead in this investigation has been followed up and verified. This case has led detectives across multiple jurisdictions throughout the State. The investigation has also included notification of Thomas to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children by Laredo Police.

Not looking good for this little guy. :(

Drug addiction can have a ripple effect on a family. Poor little kid.

Where to even start? Is the dad still alive? I hope he's identified the supposed relative. I'm reminded of another case where the parents claimed to have sent a child away, but the child was in fact, dead. :-(

Charley Project - http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/e/estevis_thomas.html

NamUs - https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14136/0/

Also, from a different article:

Casarez claims many CPS guidelines were overlooked in this case. He began investigating after the agency took custody of Thomas and discovered several problems with the case that began in December 2010. "When I went back a year later to try to find Tomas, I discovered that none of the children had been photographed and I could not find a single recording for any of the 6 children who the agency had Temporary Managing Conservatorship of," Casarez explained.

http://www.kristv.com/news/laredo-pd-searching-for-boy-missing-during-cps-custody/

Thomas Estevis
thomas_estevis_1.jpg
thomas_estevis_2.jpg
thomas_estevis_3.jpg
estevis_thomas_ap.jpg

Thomas, circa 2008; Age-progression to age 14 (circa 2020)

• Missing Since 07/01/2008
  • Missing From Laredo, Texas
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race Hispanic
  • Date of Birth 02/20/2006 (15)
  • Age 2 years old
  • Height and Weight 2'4, 40 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Hispanic male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Thomas may have scars on his ears.
Details of Disappearance
Thomas is one of six children of Robert Estevis and his common-law wife, Maria Alejandrina Valverde; she also has a daughter from a prior relationship. He had not yet been born when his older six siblings were removed from their parents' home by Child Protective Services (CPS) due to drug use in the household.

When Thomas was born, he tested positive for cocaine and was immediately taken from his parents and placed in foster care. In December 2007, after Robert and Maria had satisfied various CPS requirements, all seven of their children were reunited with them.

In November 2010, Robert was arrested for driving under the influence; one of his children was with him in the vehicle. The police went to Maria's house to tell her and give the child to her, and found her under the influence of drugs. As a result, CPS took custody of the six children who were present in the house.

Thomas wasn't there; his parents said he was in Georgia with a relative. In December, CPS became Temporary Managing Conservator of all the children, including Thomas, and asked again where he was. His parents still claimed he was in Georgia, but there was no evidence to verify this.

In January 2011, Maria died at the age of 29. In October of that year, CPS asked the court to dismiss their Temporary Managing Conservator of Thomas because he had never been in their care. They filed a missing persons report for the child in November.

Authorities aren't sure what happened to Thomas, and the exact date of his disappearance is unknown. His case remains unsolved.

Thomas Estevis – The Charley Project

Poor little boy. Why is it not clear with which relative he was allegedly living and whether LE located that relative? Why was his father not charged with a crime for his disappearance?

How extensively were his siblings interviewed?

It's sad to say, but we should look through unidentifed little "doe" cases for a possible match.

Robert died last year. No mention of Thomas in the obituary.

The youngest of 7? I wonder if LE has tried to follow up with the siblings... A few of them had to be old enough to remember another sibling that just disapeared. I wonder what they were told.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back