NV NV - Clark Co, UncFem Adult-Pre 90, UP12567, in storage unit, brown hair, Jun'14

She was found on June 5th, the NAMUS file was created on June 5th and modified on June 9, 2014.
I was thinking the same thing that you posted.

I spoke to a secretary at the ME/C office and got a little more information.

This UID is a an adult female aged 70 or older.
The remains had been there for many years. I don't know if that means several years, a decade or what.

She didn't have anything else, so I wasn't able to clarify the height or race or get a more specific postmortem interval. Some of the info on NamUs (height, hair color) was actually new to her.
She told me to leave a voicemail for Suzanne Miele, the case manager. I think Miele is the one who examined the remains. I left a voicemail; she's out today so I'll probably be able to catch her tomorrow or the day after.

Thanks for the update on the age Migmuu.

Wouldn't they be able to trace who rented the storage unit? What kind of container was she found in? I couldn't find any news reports on the discovery of the body. Why enter it into NamUS if they aren't going to give the details needed to ID her?

Opal Parsons is the only female over 70 on my list, who was missing from the Las Vegas area.

parsons_opal.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/parsons_opal.html

But there's no mention of whether or not the victim had teeth, or dentures.

I've had her as a possible Israel Keyes victim, as Keyes was in that general vicinity at the time that she went missing.

I live in LV and remember when this lady went missing. Here are some links from the Las Vegas Review Journal re Opal Parsons:
http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/reward-raised-case-missing-81-year-

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/lv-police-trying-find-woman-missing-nine-days

She was the first person I thought of also. Metro and the medical examiner's office here do a fabulous job of checking local missing person reports whenever a UID is found in Clark County. Sadly, many people also travel to Las Vegas from all over the nation to commit suicide.

There was a case a few years back in Clearwater,Fl where the family placed grandma in a box inside a storage unit. She was there for years until they couldn't afford to pay the storage rent anymore. Apparently, the family said they couldn't afford a funeral for grandma so they placed her in there. Seriously.

I could not understand how they could afford a storage unit and not a funeral after all those years.

Point is, I wonder if this is one of those situations.

A few years back in Reno, a storage unit was uncovered that had several bodies in caskets in it. Came out later it was a local funeral home's unit where they kept the bodies in cold storage (literally) for a day or so. Nothing illegal as at the time there were no laws in Nevada regarding body storage.

It reminds me of a story that broke a few years ago about how 230,000 centenarians in Japan were discovered to be ''missing''. Turned out that many of those people had died years before (usually of natural causes), but family members didn't report the death and instead cashed the monthly pension checks.
Here is an article by the BBC about it.
It's possible that the person who put the remains in that storage unit was the caretaker and wanted to keep the checks that continued to come in every month.

If this is the case, we're not going to be able to ID her ourselves because she wouldn't have been reported missing.

one word of this discovery in the local media-maybe on purpose? I am guessing that the identity of the person who rented the unit should be fairly easy to track down; that the renter stopped paying and the unit was opened in preparation for selling the items inside-what a shock to discover!

I actually got this reply to my email (the one sent about 1 1/2 weeks ago) yesterday, but I didn't check my inbox before so I'm just seeing this today:

Samantha,

Thank you for bringing the NamUS entry to our attention! Unfortunately, we do not have any additional information to enter at this time. However, we do have a highly likely candidate and are only awaiting the DNA results to confirm the identity (at which time the entry will be updated). Again, thank you for your assistance. Web sleuths, like yourself, have proven to be a wonderful asset in linking the missing with the unidentified—Thank you for all of your efforts!

Sounds like they've made a tentative ID and just need DNA to be 100% certain.

Poor woman. No one deserves to be stuffed in a container and kept in a storage unit like that. I hope she finally gets the proper burial she deserves.

the NAMUS UP entry will be pulled/disappear when a positive ID has been made and confirmed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back