Surgical Instruments Washed in Hyd. Fluid

Evidently the problem was at the detergent supplier, the hospital just didn't notice any problems.
My question would be this statement made by the hospital:
"Duke Health officials assured patients in January that the likelihood of infection from the tools was "no more than the risk normally associated" with the procedures that the patients underwent."

If it did not increase the risk not to use a detergent, then why do they use one? And isn't it possible that the hydraulic fluid had contaminants in it? And how about allergic reactions to the fluid? That is a CYA statement if I ever heard one.

mysteriew said:
Evidently the problem was at the detergent supplier, the hospital just didn't notice any problems.
My question would be this statement made by the hospital:
Actually it has been reported here in NC and on Good Morning America this morning that the doctors and other staff did complain about the instruments being slick and and yellow oily stain on the trays they were laid out on for surgery. A Duke Hospital rep was on GMA today and it was so embarrassing to watch her. It was pitiful. They screwed up and they know it and it's not the first time. In the last 2 years alone there are have been other major problems with Duke. Don't get me wrong, I think Duke Hospital is wonderful with some of the best Docs in the states (I have had several experiences with them), I just think the Administration there sucks (sorry about the language). They were told repeatedly that there was a problem and took way too long to investigate. As far as them telling patients there is no increased risk...Try telling that to someone who is allergic to petroleum products. This is just disgraceful and if the people who are part of the Administration are the same ones who have been around for the other screwups they need to be fired and NOW.:razz:

If this is in fact true, and considering that hospitals have huge overhead for maintenance etc., maybe they should save money and continue to use hydraulic fluid for this purpose. :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back