1049 users online (271 members and 778 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 74 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1097
  1. #1
    los2188's Avatar
    los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    From Alaska, but living in Arizona
    Posts
    15,549

    CA - Mike Herdman, 34, Tar Creek, 15 June 2014 - #1

    Mike Herdman


    Off-Duty Arcadia Firefighter Goes Missing While Camping Near Fillmore

    Mike Herdman, 34, was hiking with a friend to the popular trail to Tar Creek when he chased after his dog, according to Capt. Mike Franke of the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office. The trail is off a dirt road in the Topatopa Mountains, north of the small city of Fillmore (map). It was not clear where exactly Herdman had been when he ran after his dog.
    Read more: http://ktla.com/2014/06/16/off-duty-...#ixzz34rXSYCFK
    Last edited by Salem; 06-23-2014 at 12:58 AM.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

    "When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,207
    Hope he's found soon.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Here.
    Posts
    6,017
    Weird. Jmo
    Clear your mind must be, if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot. Opinion only, my posts are.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    905
    How long did it take them to hike into the area? I assume they were planning on camping overnight. Strange.
    It took the friend two days to hike out of the area before the Ventura County Sheriff's Department was alerted on Sunday night, Sgt. Eric Buschow said.
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...616-story.html

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the backwoods of Virginia
    Posts
    1,444
    Was the dog on a leash? Did the dog take off running after an animal it saw? Did the friend hear the dog barking in the distance at any time?
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

    Mark Twain

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    376
    It's a big national forest so I think it depends on how far they hiked before Herdman went missing. The article linked below says they planned to hike in the area for two days. It sounds like his friend spent some time searching for him before he made his way back to call for help. I hope he just got disoriented in the forest and they will find him and his dog safe. Arcadia is my hometown where my family lives. So weird to see it here on WS!

    http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/gene...ia-firefighter

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    410
    Herdman, a seven year veteran of the fire department, was barefoot and wearing only shorts and a T-shirt when he took off after the dog, according to a news release from the Arcadia Fire Department..

    Read more: http://ktla.com/2014/06/16/off-duty-...#ixzz34rlvyLiO

    Why was he barefoot? That seems like a tough way to hike.

    I hope he's found soon.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    On the sunny shores of I-65
    Posts
    2,131
    Really strange....
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Here.
    Posts
    6,017
    "Michael Herdman, 36, and fellow firefighter/paramedic Taylor Byars hiked to Tar Creek Trail and set up camp along the Sespe Creek on Friday evening when Herdman’s dog ran away."
    Byars made his way back to the campsite, but Herdman, a seven-year veteran, never returned.
    Byars searched for Herdman for nearly two days before he made his way out of the wilderness and reported his friend missing on Sunday evening"

    http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/...near-fillmore/
    Last edited by Yoda; 06-17-2014 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Added link
    Clear your mind must be, if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot. Opinion only, my posts are.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    597
    http://www.sgvtribune.com/general-ne...ia-firefighter

    Says foul play not suspected. Certainly sounds odd though, especially since both he and the dog disappeared.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Piney Woods
    Posts
    2,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Maiko View Post
    Herdman, a seven year veteran of the fire department, was barefoot and wearing only shorts and a T-shirt when he took off after the dog, according to a news release from the Arcadia Fire Department..

    Read more: http://ktla.com/2014/06/16/off-duty-...#ixzz34rlvyLiO

    Why was he barefoot? That seems like a tough way to hike.

    I hope he's found soon.
    This article states they were by a creek bed:

    http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/gene...ia-firefighter

    "The duo had a dog with them that got loose and Herdman began chasing it into the creek bed, he said. “(Byars) went after him and couldn’t find him."


    Was there water in the creek bed? If so, I can see how he might be barefoot but I can't see running after a dog before putting shoes on.

    Was there really a dog with them?

    My husband took our dog with him on a day hiking trip to Mt. Baldy in Southern Ca. I had warned him that it was not a good idea. Poor dog, she became so tired and her paw pads hurt and my husband had to carry her down. Maybe our dog was just not as sturdy as Herdman's dog. It just seems strange to me take a dog on a hike for a few days.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    579
    Just my initial thoughts/opinions off the top of my head:

    1. I walk barefoot almost constantly, the bottom of my feet could pass for shoe leather. I still wouldnt go hiking w/o something on my foot.

    2. I love my dogs like I love my kids (just had to put one to sleep at age 13 two weeks ago, and every cell in my body aches), I still dont think I would chase after them too deeply into the woods; I would stay put and wait/hope for their return. No good if we both get lost.

    3. I dont know for sure but I believe a firefighter would have at least some basic knowledge about what to do/not do on a hike in the woods?

    4.odd the dog is still missing and didnt find its way back or to a human. Pretty sure my dog could.

    5. Not reported for 2 days? Really?

    All jmo

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    On the sunny shores of I-65
    Posts
    2,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuliptiptoe View Post
    Just my initial thoughts/opinions off the top of my head:

    1. I walk barefoot almost constantly, the bottom of my feet could pass for shoe leather. I still wouldnt go hiking w/o something on my foot.

    2. I love my dogs like I love my kids (just had to put one to sleep at age 13 two weeks ago, and every cell in my body aches), I still dont think I would chase after them too deeply into the woods; I would stay put and wait/hope for their return. No good if we both get lost.

    3. I dont know for sure but I believe a firefighter would have at least some basic knowledge about what to do/not do on a hike in the woods?

    4.odd the dog is still missing and didnt find its way back or to a human. Pretty sure my dog could.

    5. Not reported for 2 days? Really?

    All jmo
    BBM: This ^^^^
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    579
    Just want to add, I really can't imagine running so far into the woods that, should I get lost, I would be out of shouting distance of my hiking partner. It really makes no sense, and is bothering me. I hope he is found, but I have a very bad feeling about this one.

    All my opinion only.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuliptiptoe View Post
    Just want to add, I really can't imagine running so far into the woods that, should I get lost, I would be out of shouting distance of my hiking partner. It really makes no sense, and is bothering me. I hope he is found, but I have a very bad feeling about this one.

    All my opinion only.
    I agree that there's something strange about this story. When his friend didn't return to the campsite on Friday night, why would he not hike out and seek help ASAP? It bothers me too but I hope they find him safe.

Page 1 of 74 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Found Deceased CA - Mike Herdman, 36, Tar Creek, 15 June 2014 - #3
    By los2188 in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 317
    Last Post: 07-16-2015, 08:57 AM
  2. Found Deceased CA - Mike Herdman, 34, Tar Creek, 15 June 2014 - #2
    By los2188 in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 1233
    Last Post: 06-28-2014, 02:52 AM