1032 users online (232 members and 800 guests)  

Websleuths News

MI - Monroe Co., BlkFem UP8502, 14-15, in 55-gal drum, Feb'92 - Carla Tucker

NamUs UP # 8502 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/8502

Unidentified Black Female
    Found February 12, 1992 in Ash Township, Monroe County Michigan.

Vital Stats
    Weight: Cannot Estimate
    Height: 58 inches
    Hair Color: Black
    Body Hair: Had Scant Pubic Hair
    Eye Color: Brown

Condition
    Body Parts Inventory: All Parts Recovered
    Body Condition: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
    Probable Year of Death: 1991 to 1992
    Estimated Postmortem Interval: 10 Months

Clothing and Accessories
    Clothing on Body: Beige skirt with zipper button on side and a black one-piece bodysuit. Jean jacket. Also wearing white bikini style underwear with pink trim and a white bra with red trim.

Footwear: White sock; Black "Coolie"shoes, the strap on the right shoe was held with a safety pin.

Jewelry: Ring on left ring finger with greyish colored stone

Other Items Found With Body: change, transportation ticket worth $.05

Circumstances of death
    Body of a young adult female was found encased in concrete in a 55 gallon drum in a landfill in Monroe County, MI. It is believed that the steel drum originated from a construction site on the Southwest side of Detroit.

Identifiers
    Fingerprints: Not Available
    Dental: Dental information / charting is available and will be entered later
    DNA: Sample submitted - Tests complete

This girl is a new addition to NamUs, and fits the description of this Jane Doe pretty closely:

Bina Emery

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/24632/0

Aside from the timeframe being longer than the estimate, everything else is consistent.

No code has to be inserted here.

She does sound very close. With the description of "scant" body hair, it sounds like the UID might be at the lower end of the age estimate.

It's odd that NamUs notes the transportation ticket was still good for a nickel but didn't mention a date stamped on it. IIRC paper tickets were stamped with the date of use and it doesn't seem likely the girl would have been carrying it loose in her pocket (there's no mention of a wallet) for very long if she hadn't either used it very recently or planned to use it again.

In the land of beer, cheese and serial killers
    Given the relatively close proximity to where Bina's disappearance occurred, I'm surprised that she hasn't been considered as a possible match. All the pertinent information meshes well enough. I say call it in, Carl.

I e-mailed Lori Bruski. She says that they have a few cases, including this one, on their radar. They are still in the process of getting the identifiers together, and when they do, they will compare all of their possibles.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    This girl is a new addition to NamUs, and fits the description of this Jane Doe pretty closely:

Bina Emery

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/24632/0

Aside from the timeframe being longer than the estimate, everything else is consistent.

No code has to be inserted here.
    Jane Doe UP8502 is not Bina Emery.

She has been matched by DNA to UP11995. (i.e., A black female 15-20 years old recovered in the Detroit River in the southwest side of the city on July 22, 1988).

This decedent (UP8502) has also been identified.

She is Carla Tucker

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...lved/25615019/

a bit confused, as per article, carla tucker went missing in 1979 but was not found til 1992 and ID'ed just recently? somehow i thought she went missing in 1992
    i am glad they have their names back but so much hope and dreams snuffed away...only 14 both girls

Quote Originally Posted by pukasonqo2 View Post
    a bit confused, as per article, carla tucker went missing in 1979 but was not found til 1992 and ID'ed just recently? somehow i thought she went missing in 1992
    i am glad they have their names back but so much hope and dreams snuffed away...only 14 both girls
    Tucker, whose death was determined to be homicide, was last seen by a family member walking to the grocery store in 1979. A missing persons report was filed, but she had not been seen since.

Her family, however, never stopped searching. In August 2014, Tucker’s family approached members of the new Missing Persons Coordination Unit, which was successful in getting the case re-reported to the Detroit Police Department who in turn helped by submitting family reference DNA from Tucker’s biological relatives.

Meanwhile, the Monroe County Sheriff’s Department was interested in solving a 1992 unidentified remains case in which a young female’s body was found encased in a 55-gallon drum that came to a Carleton landfill from Detroit.

Detectives submitted DNA samples from the body, which had been kept in evidence and the University of North Texas’ Human Identification Lab processed the DNA samples from both Tucker’s relatives and the unidentified body.

In February, the two samples were linked together identifying Tucker as the female found in Carleton.

http://www.livingstondaily.com/story...ains/25721417/

This part is what confuses me about the case:
    Condition
    Body Parts Inventory: All Parts Recovered
    Body Condition: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
    Probable Year of Death: 1991 to 1992
    Estimated Postmortem Interval: 10 Months
    Carla Tucker went missing in 1979. That is the year I was born, so it's easy for me to time things with her. I would've been 12 at the time the body was found.

There's no way I could imagine someone being dead for a dozen-years being mistaken for having been dead for less than ONE year. Unless the concrete dried "just right" to seal out all air/water and she were miraculously preserved.

I know that DNA "proved" that fact, it's just strange...

In 1979, Carla Tucker, 14, left home to go to the grocery store in Detroit and never returned.

“Carla was your typical teenager. She loved music and loved to cook. She brought so much joy to our household,” Wilson said.

Carla’s body was discovered 13 years ago in a 55-gallon drum encased in concrete by workers in a Carleton landfill. But it wasn’t until this year that it was finally identified.

Last August, after seeing a newscast about unclaimed bodies, Wilson and her youngest daughter decided to give DNA samples through the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System.

“On Feb. 11, 2015, we found Carla. It was a positive hit,” Wilson said. “I froze. After all of this time, I finally knew where she was.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ople/27409319/

Reward offered in 36 year old cold case

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...60407333-story

She'd be about 50 years old now, but in December of 1978, Carla Tucker of Detroit was a smiling, 14-year-old girl. Her family, had no idea it would be the last Christmas they'd spend with her.

"You not only killed my daughter but you killed my family," said Laverne Wilson, Carla’s mother.

Although it's been 36 years, Carla's family says they still need answers.

"You never stop searching. You never move past this," said Stephanie Tucker-Lwanga, Carla’s sister.

RIP Carla.
    Proverbs 19:17

Buckskin Girl - Facebook page - Websleuths thread
    Arroyo Grande Jane Doe - Facebook page - Websleuths thread